It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks allegedly given details on thousands of Swiss bank accounts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

WikiLeaks allegedly given details on thousands of Swiss bank accounts

www.rawstory.com

A former banker behind a previous disclosure by secrets outlet WikiLeaks has turned over a second, larger set of data detailing thousands of Swiss bank accounts, according to claims made at a news conference in London on Monday.

He said that many of the records dealt with accounts held by organized criminals, politicians and celebrities around the world
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.rawstory.com

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
If released, this could open a whole new can of worms and expose the real people in power, like those who operate within the realm of organized crime.

I think Wikileaks is gaining credibility day by day, and releasing this will only further add to that credibility. What will Wikileaks detractors say about this?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-1-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Sorry to say this but there's alrealdy a thread about this on Breaking News forum! Just thought you'd want to know.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I believe I was actually the first to post.

Originally posted by wcitizen
Sorry to say this but there's alrealdy a thread about this on Breaking News forum! Just thought you'd want to know.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Or like North Korea's lil Kimmy's 4 Billion dollar account he maintains just in case of an overthrow meanwhile his people starve.

Kim Jong-il deserves to be on the Forbes' billionaire list

With a cool $4 billion stashed away in secret bank accounts, the North Korean dictator has saved up a cushy retirement fund in case of regime implosion

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Good find,V!rt.

This is very interesting and your right it does open up a whole new can of worms but the wiki haters will obviously have something to add...mostly negative.

Though,if I was wikileaks I'd be scared because they're making a bigger target of themselfs and gaining more enemies as they go along.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
So now they are going to release private citizens financial information?

This isn't them making government transparent...this is invading the privacy of individual people...I don't care how rich they are...that is not right.

How will all of you like when wikileaks leaks some private info of yours???

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Oops, I;m so sorry I made that mistake. Peace.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The problem is, a person isn't "private" anymore when even if they "privately" control the world. I agree releasing personal information is unwarranted unless your talking about someone from the bilderberg group... At that point I think it's fair game.

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

This isn't them making government transparent...this is invading the privacy of individual people...I don't care how rich they are...that is not right.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

They are talking about Tax evaision here, which unlike Tax avoidance is Illegal.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I agree releasing personal information is unwarranted unless your talking about someone from the bilderberg group... At that point I think it's fair game.

Who gets to make that decision on what group is fair game?

What if wikileaks decides that all members of the ATS website are fair game?

I never agreed with wikileaks being the enforcer of secrets...and I still don't in this case.
edit on 17-1-2011 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

They are talking about Tax evaision here, which unlike Tax avoidance is Illegal.

So what you are saying is...that wikileaks is now on the side of governments...trying to track down tax evaders?

I thought wikileaks was the big liberator of government secrets...and now they are their tax enforcers?

I'm confused.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
The problem is, a person isn't "private" anymore when even if they "privately" control the world. I agree releasing personal information is unwarranted unless your talking about someone from the bilderberg group... At that point I think it's fair game.

Please STOP you two!

Read the articles before you mouth off!

Understand the articles written about this before you mouth

OFFSHORE Bank Accounts, tax fraud, stealing from YOUR country

Frauding the system!

CRIMINAL OFFENSE .... Jail TERM!

They should be caught, they should be taken to court, they should go to jail!

Includes: 40 politicans from around the world, High Rollers, Celebrities

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Back Ground Info

(NB: this wont be new to hard core Wikileak followers of these last few years)

Rudolf Elmer, founder of Swiss Whistleblower will appear in court on January 19. He was fired from Swiss bank Julius Bär in 2002, after which he sent documents to several media outlets and Wikileaks, exposing allegedly illegal activities by Julius Bär clients in the Cayman Islands. Wikileaks was briefly shut down by a US court following publication of these documents.

Unlike most whistleblowers, Elmer's identity was never a secret.

Elmer Says...
I wasn’t looking for anonymity. I signed the first whistle-blower letter to emphasise the credibility but also to show my civil disobedience. It is my conviction that my name is important. People then got in touch with me and I received additional information from other bank clients and further data.

The Associated Press has an article about the case, but apparently because of the unwillingness of the mainstream press to use the word 'whistleblower' in association with Wikileaks, the article either awkwardly refers to Elmer as the "Swiss banker who used WikiLeaks" or confusingly calls him a "Wikileaks informant".

Elmer said he will admit certain counts of coercion, but insisted he didn't break Swiss banking secrecy laws because the files he distributed belonged to a Julius Baer subsidiary in the Cayman Islands, where he worked for the bank for eight years.

"This data wasn't subject to Swiss banking secrecy," he told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Monday.

Jan Vonder Muehll, a spokesman for Julius Baer, confirmed Monday that the bank is one of the plaintiffs in the case against Elmer next week before the Zurich court. But he said the trial would focus on the earlier release of data to Swiss media, not their publication on WikiLeaks.

Source: wlcentral.org...

AP Article:

GENEVA (AP) - A Swiss banker whose actions caused a U.S. judge to briefly shut down WikiLeaks three years ago faces trial for allegedly distributing confidential documents showing how his former employer helped rich clients to dodge taxes.

The case appears to be the first time a WikiLeaks informant will go on trial. It comes as the U.S. government also is trying to prosecute individuals linked to the website for publishing secret military and diplomatic files.

Rudolf Elmer, a former employee of Swiss-based Bank Julius Baer, has been ordered to appear before a Zurich regional court Jan. 19 to answer charges of coercion and violating Switzerland's strict banking secrecy laws. If convicted he could be sentenced to up to three years in prison and a fine.

Elmer said he will admit certain counts of coercion, but insisted he didn't break Swiss banking secrecy laws because the files he distributed belonged to a Julius Baer subsidiary in the Cayman Islands, where he worked for the bank for eight years.

"This data wasn't subject to Swiss banking secrecy," he told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Monday.

Swiss financial newspaper Cash was among those that in 2005 received a copy of a CD containing 170 megabytes of data on Julius Baer's Cayman operations. The files reportedly showed the bank helped its clients set up secret offshore accounts to avoid paying taxes.

Elmer denied giving the files to Cash, but said he did distribute the CD to several media outlets and tax authorities. He later uploaded some of the same information to WikiLeaks, prompting a U.S. judge to shut down the website after Julius Baer claimed Elmer had engaged in "unlawful dissemination of stolen bank records and personal account information of its customers."

The bank quietly dropped its U.S. lawsuit when the suspension order was lifted two weeks later following complaints from free speech groups and media organizations, including The Associated Press.

Jan Vonder Muehll, a spokesman for Julius Baer, confirmed Monday that the bank is one of the plaintiffs in the case against Elmer next week before the Zurich court. But he said the trial would focus on the earlier release of data to Swiss media, not their publication on WikiLeaks.

The 2008 shutdown saw a surge in support for WikiLeaks, which until then had been virtually unknown to a wider public. The site has managed to stay online almost continuously since, despite growing pressure on its Internet service providers following the recent publication of thousands of leaked U.S. war records and diplomatic cables.

U.S. authorities are currently trying to build a legal case against WikiLeaks and some of its collaborators, claiming the release of the files puts lives at risk

Link m.apnews.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
They are exposing those who commit illegal acts... according to what's illegal.

reply to post by woodwardjnr

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Please add to existing

Wikileaks to be given data on Swiss bank accounts

Thanks

Closed
edit on 17/1/2011 by Sauron because: replaced link

top topics

join