It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy, 9, has Disney World trip ruined after US immigration rules him a threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Boy, 9, has Disney World trip ruined after US immigration rules him a threat

www.telegraph.co.uk

They had already spent more than £1,500 on plane tickets and had been organising the trip for months.

But this week US Embassy officials denied the schoolboy a visa to enter the US.

They said there was a risk he would not leave the US at the end of his holiday and refused his application under Section 214 (b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
And in today's "Just when you think you've heard it all" news, along comes this doozy...

So let's see, border perimeters wide open all along Mexico, with endless influx's of immigrants pouring through.

But a UK 9 year old coming for a Disneyworld vacation is now an 'immigration threat'? Man do we ever have some mentally challenged folks running certain departments here...

But-Perhaps there's a BRIGHT side in all this: At least he was saved from the TSA molestor gangs. lol

Unreal.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 17-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
poor kid , hes gonna grow up and make them repay for this . This is gonna traumatize him and hes gonna go postal on the us immigration lol

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
saw this the other day. I agree it is stupid, but the reason for refusal was something to do with him having a South African passport and the grandparents not being able to prove strong enough ties to the UK to guarantee he would be 100% guaranteed to leave the US once entered.

I might be wrong but was sure that was the crux of it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

So let's see, border perimeters wide open all along Mexico, with endless influx's of immigrants pouring through.

But a UK 9 year old coming for a Disneyworld vacation is now an 'immigration threat'? Man do we ever have some mentally challenged folks running certain departments here...

Yes, this seems outlandish and just plain wrong!

The only issue that I can think of is related to this:

During the visa interview they look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors. In cases of younger applicants who may not have had an opportunity to form many ties, consular officers may look at the applicants specific intentions, family situations, and long-range plans and prospects within his or her country of residence. Each case is examined individually and is accorded every consideration under the law.

Perhaps if this visa process was only initiated by the grandparents (lacking the involvement of the parents) then maybe some strange flags went up due to a possible kidnapping/abduction/custody situation?

If not, and there is full support from the boy's parents, then I hope this decision is re-examined and modified...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

Uh oh.
Other side of the story alert.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If you were Born in the UK and live with your mother, why would you have a South African passport because your grandparents wanted you to have that rather than a British one. It sounds a little odd don't you think? Had the boy had a British Passport then this would not have happened.

There are certain Visa requirements from different countries and if these requirements have not been made prior to the visit then they are refused entry. It's up to the individuals to ensure that they have complied with Visa requirements, surely doesn't matter how old the person is, and if you chose to ignore it and don't get in, then don't go around screaming about it afterwards.

edit on 17-1-2011 by Tarotmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The reason, although certainly heartbreaking, seems to have merit from what I have read. I am no expert on the visa process and INS laws, but should there be an opportunity for an appeal process? If there is I am certain that the visa will be given at that time.

I just hope that Heathrow has a better return policy for tickets than Philly does haha.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
So they were okay with the parents coming, but they found that a 9 year old child was in danger of not leaving the country. He's 9. What's he gonna do? Hole up in a candy store?

new topics

top topics

join