It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comet Elenin is coming!

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
i wonder what it would be like to see the earth as a comet hit it...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by witemajick

Would depend on the size, velocity and entry angle...oh and land or water strike.............but very messy comes to mind.

Here, go and have a play about with this impact calculator and you will get an idea................

Impact: Earth

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

A bolide is basically the same exact thing as a meteor. Tunguska was anything but a comet. Either a large bolide/meteor.

So then a bolide would explode above in the sky, kind of like Tunguska, a meteor would be a direct Earth impact then.

A comet hitting Earth anytime soon is likely out of the picture. It is what is in the comet's tail/stream that matters the most.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Stargate2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Stargate2012

A bolide is a meteor, it just has to reach that certain brightness and / or flash.

What exploded over Tunguska will have been that large it wouldn't have reached the same brightness (think thats something to do with surface area, i'm honestly not sure how that works) to be classed as a bolide and it wouldn't have flashed as you would expect a bolide to, just explode rather nastily. (It turned night into day as far away as London!!)

EDIT: As far as the tail is concerned, thats primarily just made up of gases and sand / pebble sized bits and bobs that have tore away due to the pressure of solar radiation, it's amazing just how big they can get.
edit on 18/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Oh yeah, guess what else happened on Oct. 8th/9th?? 1992 that is!

The Peekskill Meteorite and other Fireballs

On October 9, 1992, a fireball was seen streaking across the sky from Kentucky to New York. At least 14 people captured part of the fireball on videotape; here is a spectacular MPEG movie (1 MB MPEG) of the fireball (source). A 12-kilogram stony meteorite (chondrite) from the fireball fell in Peekskill, New York, smashed the trunk of a parked automobile, and came to rest beneath it. These are the first motion picture recordings of a fireball with an associated meteorite fall. Here is a short MPEG movie of a -4 magnitude Delta Capricornid fireball (253 kB MPEG) recorded near Hannover, Germany, on January 5, 1995.

csep10.phys.utk.edu...

Here is the video of it: Oct. 9th, 1992

planet-facts.com...

Beginning to see the picture now?

Oct. 9th, 1992

Oct. 8th, 2009 (Indonesia)

Oct. 8th, 2011 (?????)

edit on 18-1-2011 by Stargate2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
well,. I just watched one of my favorites ( for the 9th time) the movie Deep Impact.
when that movie was made in 1998,. I said "wow, a black president,.. interesting"

Something else to think about,. the movie "The fifth element" was also about an incoming
planet sized object,. and had a Black president..

Hmmm

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Yeah, seen that before, impressive isn't it! There was a fireball shot from north to south here in the UK a few weeks ago, it was seen from scotland to somewhere south of England, I was in work at the time, so I missed it.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Just out of interest (and save me googling or imdb'ing) was Armageddon released round about the same time as Deep impact? or did I just happen to watch them both for the first time during the same week?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Look at this picture for Oct. 8th, 2011

www.skyandtelescope.com...

Earth is in a direct bulleyes into this.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Yeah, it's already on my calender, I'm really looking forward to it, I just pray that it isn't clouded over that night.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
What is so intriguing about this is that is on the day of Yom Kippur. The ten days of Awe.

Yom Kippur is the tenth day of the month of Tishrei. According to Jewish tradition, God inscribes each person's fate for the coming year into a book, the Book of Life, on Rosh Hashanah, and waits until Yom Kippur to "seal" the verdict.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Or get hit right?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

erm, my sleepy tired eyes // mind can't quite work out what you mean........or get hit?

Pray we // I don't get hit?

Get mugged on the way to my favorite observing location?

Get ran over?

Or pray we // I do get hit?

LOL.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Ha, don't get hit by this Dragon beast.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I'll be sure to don my best armour and carry my finest sword when going to view, I shall tame the beast for sure, heh (or at the very least get some damn good photos)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptSplatter
No matter what happens interesting days are coming. Does anyone know the last time we passed through a comet tail? Just curious.

Technically we are passing though the tail of one comet or another most of the time. Our annual meteor showers, and there are quite a few of them, are all triggered by us passing through the trail of dust left behind a comet.

The more recently laid down trails produce the meteor showers that are well defined and have had not have had enough time to become very diffuse. It's these old trails, whose meteoroids have become widely separated that give us the background that meteor shower observers term as random or sporadic meteors, and you can see these on any night of the year. So it's pretty much all the time depending on what you define as the amount that a trail has to be watered down before it is no longer called a meteor shower/trail.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zagari
www.davidicke.com...

a lot of information and a link to an interview

the discoverer is actually called Yelenin

Okay so we have ELIjah Wood, Tea LEOni and LEOnid YELEnin and his girlfriend ELENINA????
Girlfriend of Leo in Deep Impact 's actress is called
LeeLee Sobieski
edit on 18-1-2011 by Zagari because: (no reason given)

Here it is, I for one, applaued the work you have put in to this thread Zagari. I am with you all the way to time wave zero. I find your work has substance and I think your findings are far more than just interesting.
:

Puterman
My god this could be so huge.
Downhill train, pick'in up speed, and we don't even know if the brakes will succeed. Bomb ass thread.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

Mabus?

Oh you mean Ray Mabus

You watching this guy yet?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I'm shocked no one brought up this old movie. Zombie apocalypse anyone?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
This Thread somewhat reminds me of Dr. Carol Rosin testimony about a conspiracy for developing space-based weapons:

*The strategy that Wernher Von Braun taught me was that first the Russians are going to be considered to be the enemy. In fact, in 1974, they were the enemy, the identified enemy. We were told that they had "killer satellites". We were told that they were coming to get us and control us-that they were "Commies."

*Then terrorists would be identified, and that was soon to follow. We heard a lot about terrorism. Then we were going to identify third-world country "crazies." We now call them Nations of Concern.

*But he said that would be the third enemy against whom we would build space-based weapons. The next enemy was asteroids. Now, at this point he kind of chuckled the first time he said it. Asteroids- against asteroids we are going to build space-based weapons.

*And the funniest one of all was what he called aliens, extraterrestrials. That would be the final scare. And over and over and over during the four years that I knew him and was giving speeches for him, he would bring up that last card. "And remember Carol, the last card is the alien card. We are going to have to build space-based weapons against aliens and all of it is a lie."

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join