It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does time exist?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think there are only space and distance between us, not time.

2nd line
I think, in some way, it doesn't exist, but in our experience, it does.

edit on 16-1-2011 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by PoorFool
Time is the measure of change. Without it there would be no before and no after.

"1 day" just means how long it takes for the Earth to spin on it's axis, pretty simple.

Time (the 4th dimension) is real. The way we measure it is man-made.

Are you familiar with Zeno's Paradox..?

No, but I had Einstein's theory of relativity in mind when I wrote that. Not that I am an expert or anything though.

I'm looking into Zeno... why did you ask?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
For that matter, do WE even exist? Only our brains tell us that we exist...without that, poof... Heavy stuff man.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whatsreal
reply to post by rabzdguy

Once an idea has popped into someone's head, it exists. Once something exists, it cannot un-exist.

Therefore, time exists.

Well, thanks for nothing and way to go to the Einstein who popped it into existence!

Seriously, though, I think time as we ordinarily think of it is a "human concept," time at the metaphysical level does not exist, yet time as it relates to the our universe does exist - sort of. I don't think it exists as a smooth, forward-moving continuum, but seems to operate that way because the universe is expanding as the result of some event.

That probably makes no sense – in which case I didn’t contribute much to the conversation.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by rabzdguy

Is that all you have to say?

Drunken Philosophical rant ahead.....

Time is in your mind, it does no exist in a physical sense, it is merely an observation of planetary movement if you chose to believe age is just another number than you can transcend, the physical limits it imposes on the human self, just by thinking that an average number for your life span is a reality, you will bend your physical self to comply with this. But by believing that their limits do not adhere to your self you can manipulate your atomic structure to achieve many things thought unobtainable (no its not like the secret, similar but not the same)

Although time dilation is well documented i believe we still have much to learn and contribute to this subject as science is a constantly evolving plethora of observations it is hard to see what is really an accurate definition of a system and what is over observation of information only achievable with specific methods, This may not be an effective way of understanding intrinsically the diverse universe we inhabit

If you have not seen this and you know about the secret i guarantee it will make your day/night

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I have always thought this question explains itself. Simply, we are unable to comprehend what was before the beginning or will be after the end and the full context of infinity. Time, by the nature we have assigned it would have to have both a before and an after, neither of which fit neatly into any current theory. Therefore, I contend it eliminates itself from reality, certainly as we know it. We must either live in a paradox of our understanding, or it just can not be!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by samstone11

Your inability to understand is just an insight into your feeble mind, all that have admitted to me in the past that they are unable to comprehend or visualize simple concepts like this have been discarded as the dead unintelligent weight that they are..

And i have not revealed anything of any significance to them because even if i did you/they have demonstrated your/their lack of ability to even begin to recognize the truth or even accept the slivers of the true reality i present, although it is served at the dinner table for all to see only some may eat the others will remain as servants to us, as those that can utilize their intelligence and are not preprogrammed to believe that they cant comprehend will sometimes let you know the real deal, but some/most of us enjoy the confusion we create in your minds..

Give me a break you have the most advanced quantum computer in your head and u use it as if it was a 1990's Macintosh

Get over what you have been taught the undertaking of reality is not your true purpose, your personal experience and revelations are the key to solving this master riddle

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Time is implemented by those that hold the power (at the moment) they use this as a very clever tool to control your daily lives by keeping you to a time-table.
Keeping you in the same pattern same routine.

Im not going to say anymore than that. All i ask is that you think about the above. Really.

Your daily lives are controlled by time-tables.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Time does exist in the material world, our body grows older over time.
One can see time as temporal fysical existence, or in the absolute, duration.
Duration, or periods, timeline in history, evolution in the biological world.
Non fysical, there is only aliveness here and now, in the past or future we do not live but wander.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom_is_Slavery

I am certain it will not surprise you to hear that I take exceptional offense to your comments. You spent an otherwise insignificant amount of time to mount what can only be described as a direct, personal attack and I will not tolerate it. At least in my post I submitted something that applied to the subject matter, while you did not. Just as you, I am entitled to my opinion which is what I stated and even prefaced my comments as "thought", implying something you seem incapable of. You asserted your venomous comments as factual with no semblance of civility, and additionally pompously assumed yourself as correct because there is no verbiage included allowing for open discussion. You implied your attack as "case closed, no further debate necessary or allowed".

I await your apology or in it's stead, perhaps something constructive and hopefully related to the subject at hand.

Mods, if I have also overstepped appropriate boundaries, my apologies and I will be happy for you to remove this post in deference to simply filing a complaint regarding the lack of respect and decorum I have come to appreciate here at ATS. Being relatively new, I was not able to find the preferred means to file said complaint outside of the direct response.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
OMG I can't help myself...

"Time was invented to keep everything from happening at once" - the world according to Moz"

Seriously though, everyone's concept of time is different. I think our brains are wired in a linear fashion that DOES help keep things from jumbling all up. If that were broken, insanity would ensue.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lolliek

This is a very interesting thought. Sort of like the inmates not only running the asylum, maybe they are better qualified. It would seem that if one could break down those linear boundaries and truly comprehend the structure (or absence thereof) of time, they may be the most sane of us all, but most likely incapable of handling the power or ramifications of such a talent. They would have to transcend the finite comprehension of the world in general making them different to the point of wearing the "evil" label in the eyes of many.

What a potential shame.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I used to not believe in time because I could't get past the fact that it is always "now". At every point in my life, it was "now" for me when I was there; even way, way back.

Even if/when tomorrow comes, it will still be "now" for me when I get there.

So no time.

But I've changed my mind somewhat because I realize there is no such thing as "now" either. As soon as it happens its gone, its history. Poof! You can't even describe how short a time "now" could be before its over. It doesn't exist either.

But the little lock of blonde hair my mother saved from my first haircut at age 2, is still in a little box in my dresser -- 60 years later. The things my parents made with their own hands are still here; tho they are both long gone -- or are they?

Some things are just not knowable to our feeble brains.
edit on 1/18/2011 by wayno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Life is a movement, from this moment 'now' to the next.
The moments in our existence that passes into nothingness, which we can recall and is our memory of the past.
Yesterday is gone, and tomorrow unwritten, only the now is real, where action is, life in action.
We cannot alter the past, only understand it, we however can see beforehand and act to what it is we see.
So we can actively react to what is coming, but can't undo what has been, fact is that all actions are 'now'.
In the 'now' time is, the past present and future.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
time doesnt exist and people are just brainwashed in to 'getting older', but bodies does 'wear off' - so when your body is depleted of energy- you look older, to get back to youth you need is pump in with fresh new energy, and this comes from combination foodVbreath.

the difference between young people and old people is only the energy level in each of them (if you rid your self from the aging brainwash, its pretty easy to start growing young (its what i do). i have just adjusted now on 24 since i dont want them to ask for id when i buy cigarets. but my dob was in 1979 officially

#one million dollar please.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
time doesnt exist and people are just brainwashed in to 'getting older', but bodies does 'wear off' - so when your body is depleted of energy- you look older, to get back to youth you need is pump in with fresh new energy, and this comes from combination foodVbreath.

the difference between young people and old people is only the energy level in each of them (if you rid your self from the aging brainwash, its pretty easy to start growing young (its what i do). i have just adjusted now on 24 since i dont want them to ask for id when i buy cigarets. but my dob was in 1979 officially

#one million dollar please.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I believe time is just the observation of change.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Time cant logically exist. Since we are already in the infinite/eternal/forever. Since souls are eternal, they had to have existed before taking the form of a human. So we still in the wheel of eternity as we speak..so how can time fit in the eternal?

Time for me is the biggest conspiracy to man. Think about it. What runs our life?? The clock...time.. it tells us when to wake up..sleep..eat..meet....If we are supposed to live in a world of free will...how is basing our life around time freewill?? It narrates our life by the form of acoustic tick tock or the buzzing of a digital alarm...we look at our watches all the time(lol)..haven't we all noticed? Time is used alot in our languages...further implementing such into our minds..controlling us..and making us think time exist...making us think we are mortal..but in essence we are infact in the eternal..so we cant die. We have been controlled by time, which no wonder we are trapped on earth..prison planet much? makes me think..maybe this bowing down to time is the original sin? perhaps, or maybe even the All seeing eye? Which makes sense since the clock represents the circular eye, and time is basically all knowing, since it "predicts" when things are going to happen..making it all knowing..but in reality its just a void device.

We know time doesn't exist, our nature isn't to base ourselves around that concept, because we know it doesn't exist by default. We are all trying to break away from the coordination of time...to live in reality of free will. Removing time is the first step to being one of those in in freewill. How do we know this? because were losing track of time, we are forgetting time, we need to keep looking at time..its very unnatural..we sub consciously are trying to break away. BUT WE CANT. It has consumed us, time to sleep, time to wake up, time to eat, time for a story, time to go out, time, time, time, time for work, time to finish, time to end. First thing you do when you wake up? Look at the time. How brainwashed are we?

Time is just phases. Like the phases of the moon. And the new phases in your life. Different thought is a phase, and thought is more realistic than reality. Since it takes thought to first exist. So thought cant be fit into time, since thought can exist from nothing, and time needs a starting point.

Time is nothing more than an illusion, which eats our free will and spits further control.

(I have no education in any sciences, this is just me and my thoughts, and what i think is going on)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Being a bit extreme, I would say the only real things in the Universe are called "Interaction Forces". Check the out down in the quantum space. These are:

Electromagnetic Interaction (photons)
Strong Interaction (gluons)
Weak Interaction (bosons)
Gravitation Interaction (gravitons? soon in cinemas across reality)

then "Time" would be a fictional little measure we'd be using to explain our limitated experience of reality

Therefore you could legally change your age because Human Law has certainly no value in Universal terms, it's pretty efectless.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
TIme as we think of it...does not exist. It never did.
Time IS...and WAS...and WILL BE...STILL.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join