It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does time exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
If time doesn't exist , then why cant we legally change our ages?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rabzdguy

LOL, I want a refund on the watch I bought

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I would say it doesn't exist to an extent, because time itself is a man created thing. But with every little thing in existance being related to math in some form, I'd say time was just another mathematical way of explaining and keeping track of things.

Good question on the age thing though.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Because while time may not exist in principal, from a practical standpoint it is still necessary for understanding the world around us. Whether we "believe" in the existence of time or not, we still age. I agree that time is primarily a human construct, but its effects seem undeniable.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Captain Reynolds
Because while time may not exist in principal, from a practical standpoint it is still necessary for understanding the world around us. Whether we "believe" in the existence of time or not, we still age. I agree that time is primarily a human construct, but its effects seem undeniable.

Well said. Verbalized it much better then I.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rabzdguy
If time doesn't exist , then why cant we legally change our ages?

We can go from age to age when we realize that time and causation and the "self" is an illusion, or when we re-cognize our true self in eternity, by recognizing our no-self self, and the nothing we mistook for something, then in the reality and the truth of our true existence in eternity, we become oblivious to oblivion.

But I understand what you're saying OP about causation and the apparent entropy operative in life, which brings about an apparent cycle of life and death, but it's not life IN death, just the other way around, and there is only what is, as the everything that it already always is within which we mistook nothing in particular (the beginning or the end) as something, even something to be concerned about, or frustrated with (albeit nothing at all). The everthing that is everything already always now and forever, alone is eternal, and so in dying to self so to speak and being reborn in eternity, as spirit, the real something in everywhere that was already always here now and forever then re-appears or arises on the other side of the being of no-thing in particular (no self self) - so provided you THINK you are an aging monkey body trapped between two death's, time for you, and eventual physical deterioration, even complete dissolution, is your lot in life, wherein you mistook the person on your drivers liscence, as you!

edit on 16-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Are you saying that things have to be legal to be correct?
You may put a different age on a piece of paper and be hauled up infront of the authorities to say it is illegal but who can say it is actually wrong?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Captain Reynolds

Time is nothing more than movement through space. Its our perception of it and analysis of it that gives it the "meanings" we give it. We age because our entire body is constantly moving at a molecular and cellular level and most all "living things" have to self replicate on a cellular level. In the case of human beings our DNA strands begin to unwind at the ends eventually as they are copied over and over and over they lose the ability to stay "wound".

When the DNA starts to unravel at the ends various AT CG bonds are lost and the duplication of that DNA eventually becomes damaged. Thus aging.

In virtually all other scenarios though movement energy and space are the only things that really exist. The expressions/transformations of energy states is what gives the perception of "time" to observable beings such as humans. Its how we keep track and organize the physical world around us.

The question "does time exist" really ultimately always boils down to the philosophical:

"if a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

There are two answers to this question depending on where you intellectual leanings are. Science or Philosophy

The scientist only acknowledges what is observable and repeatable with instruments and measurements. So with no observable evidence to even measure his conclusion would be. "no"

The philosopher relies on patterns and hypotheticals. To the philosopher not only did the tree make a sound it provided kindling for the forest floor to eventually ignite in flames to be reborn again from the ashes like a phoenix.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Captain Reynolds

The only reason we age is because of our connection with the concept of time.

Really is true... I've seen adults with youthful mindsets and it shows.

Once you meditate and experience yourself in the 'now' moment more and more, time really does cease to exist. Sure, it's a useful concept, but you can't reach out and touch it.

The hours are actually starting to fly by for me. Many people are reporting the same change in perception as we reach 2012.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Apples and oranges. Apparently time exists legally. It does not exist metaphyically and is debated in physics, with some saying yea and some nay. Better to love the age you are, as you'll not be there again in this life.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Time is man made.From the sundial to the clock. They say when you leave the planet, time isn't something to be bothered with, No more sun up or down. no more seasons or birthdays, there's no future, there's just a constant now.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Time, Space and Matter.. A trinity or trinities. They MUST come into existence at the same time...
They cannot exist without eachother.

Genesis 1:1

In the beginning God created the Heavens and the Earth.
---------time---------------------space-----------matter.
edit on 16-1-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Once an idea has popped into someone's head, it exists. Once something exists, it cannot un-exist.

Therefore, time exists.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whatsreal

Once an idea has popped into someone's head, it exists. Once something exists, it cannot un-exist.

Therefore, time exists.

Actually if earth was hit by a giant meteorite tomorrow, I'm pretty sure a lot would suddenly "un-exist"...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whatsreal

Therefore, time exists.

The end of time also can exist in someone's head.

It's ok to be the end of time, that's what I've discovered, in the sense that the end is no end at all, only the beginning of the end of one beginning and the beginning of a new one.

edit on 16-1-2011 by NewAgeMan because: It's always the end of time, forever now, through the eternally unfolded present moment in eternal remembrance, so nothing is lost and everything of value gained.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
your age is how many times you took a ride on this roller coaster (earth) around the sun.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Time is the measure of change. Without it there would be no before and no after.

"1 day" just means how long it takes for the Earth to spin on it's axis, pretty simple.

Time (the 4th dimension) is real. The way we measure it is man-made.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Sly, time does exist because my time traveler group meets on the second yesterday of each month.

Kidding aside, time exists because it warps, slows down, stops and speeds up.

Peace.............yak055h

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool
Time is the measure of change. Without it there would be no before and no after.

"1 day" just means how long it takes for the Earth to spin on it's axis, pretty simple.

Time (the 4th dimension) is real. The way we measure it is man-made.

Are you familiar with Zeno's Paradox..?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadStarState

I would say it doesn't exist to an extent, because time itself is a man created thing.

if time does not exist but is "accepted" as a man created/made thing and observed, then why can love not exist as a deity ?

if man created time and it is observed and exists, then it is so.

if man created God as some parties claim, why can God not exist if in fact we do observe love ?

sorry to bring the religion thing into this section but it is just an example of many of things which can be compared to this topic in my opinion.

I believe we are as old as we want to be, I am working on growing younger every year now myself, and will begin to start counting backwards from the big 40.

makes me wonder where the saying "75 years young" comes from, as we get older.

edit on 1/16/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join