It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8m Asteroid comming very close to earth Monday Jan 17.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
spaceweather.com, scroll to near earth asteroid encounters.

with solar storms hitting the earth magnetic field, and this,"polar shift" could this in anyway maybe maybe stop the earth from protecting its self from asteroids, from the magnetic field , isn't that how it works, it repels whatever objects, or sucks them in, right ??

with the end of the world scenario playing out, hell y not eh!!

comment plz!, peace in the middle east!

ChefSpicy
edit on 15-1-2011 by Chefspicy because: spelling

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
we have 2 days left

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
and i know there was a larger meteor that fell in the states somewhere this past little bit also!!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

?
edit on 15-1-2011 by Socratic Method because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Chefspicy

Theres 5 reported for January..Higher than normal??
Why don't they list past January?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
The magnetic field redirects solar winds to the polar regions. They still enter the upper atmosphere and can be visibly seen in the manifestation of Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) and the Aurora Australis (Southern Lights).

I think the magnetic field is affected by an asteroid if it is close enough/impacts but I don't think it protects us against an asteroid. Not too sure though..

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
So we're all going to die on my birthday. Awesome! But, seriously, does that "m" mean 8 miles or 8 meters?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
So we're all going to die on my birthday. Awesome! But, seriously, does that "m" mean 8 miles or 8 meters?

Meters; NASA uses the metric system.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I think (not an expert my any means) 0.8 LD is the lunar distance which in this case is fairly close to what we usually have. Someone please please correct me if I'm wrong. Going to go back and try to make out the rest of the info there. The problem would be if the asteroid does not burn up as it should as it heads toward earth - cover and duck!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
So, an 8 meter chunk of rock or ice or both, is gonna pass earth at a distance of eight tenths the distance to the moon on the 17th?
I dont think thats a major threat, but well definately find out.....

no sweat

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
So,
New on the forums (although been reading through them for about a week straight now
. Anyways, a quick reply to this subject. On the NASA sight it says "LD means "Lunar Distance." 1 LD = 384,401 km, the distance between Earth and the Moon" so this meteor being 0.8 of 1 LD means it is going to be quite far from Earth itself. Although, since reading the post fully, I am now a fan of using the program TimeWave Zero and after looking at it again (I had the 17th in my mind already), there is a spot on the 17th that shows something happening. Who knows, I guess we shall wait and see. I would think though, that if the crash were imminent it would be on the news by now as well. But then again, calculations in space can be wrong :\. We shall see

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
I think (not an expert my any means) 0.8 LD is the lunar distance which in this case is fairly close to what we usually have. Someone please please correct me if I'm wrong. Going to go back and try to make out the rest of the info there. The problem would be if the asteroid does not burn up as it should as it heads toward earth - cover and duck!

Really?
That's pretty close. I bet it will take out some satellites then.
It would also be very visible.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I don't think it would be on the news unless they thought it wouldn't burn up before entering our atmosphere, even then not knowing where it would land they wouldn't want a panic. If we know of TPTB running for the bunkers then we will know. Look to the sky because I understand the sight could be amazing.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
"Close" only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and sex under age 16.

I predict we will not get hit in two days.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Using the Stellarium program, where can I see this baby coming from? Or what part of the sky do I have to observe to see this?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Hmm...

An 8 meter wide asteroid/object at 307,520 km above sea level is almost at the moon. Geostationary satellites are situated at around 22,000 km out, so no satellites will be affected. If, for some reason, the object gets "caught" in earth's gravity, it will most likely do a "slingshot" effect (just like how they send probes deep into the solar system) and will not affect earth at all this time around. Nothing to worry about at all, at least for a while

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Impact Probability: 9.2e-10

0.000000092% chance of Earth impact

or

1 in 1,086,957,000 chance

or

99.99999991% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Violater1
Using the Stellarium program, where can I see this baby coming from? Or what part of the sky do I have to observe to see this?

at 0.006 km I don't think you will see it (unless you have a good scope) but here's the orbit
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 1/15/2011 by Pauligirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Is there anywhere to check what time/direction one can look at the sky to see it?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
i didnt post anything about dying, gawd people!! just saying one is comming close to earth and might punch a hole thru ur roof of your house!!! its only 8 m plus it will break up upon entry! its going to be nice light show if it comes thru to earth tho!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join