It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8m Asteroid comming very close to earth Monday Jan 17.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

that is totally right, about the distance , its in the small print under the graph.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

this might help

AN52 - nasa

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
So we're all going to die on my birthday. Awesome! But, seriously, does that "m" mean 8 miles or 8 meters?

May as well say happy birthday to you now... just in case .. :-) HaPPY Birthday!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattyboy4u
So,
New on the forums (although been reading through them for about a week straight now
. Anyways, a quick reply to this subject. On the NASA sight it says "LD means "Lunar Distance." 1 LD = 384,401 km, the distance between Earth and the Moon" so this meteor being 0.8 of 1 LD means it is going to be quite far from Earth itself. Although, since reading the post fully, I am now a fan of using the program TimeWave Zero and after looking at it again (I had the 17th in my mind already), there is a spot on the 17th that shows something happening. Who knows, I guess we shall wait and see. I would think though, that if the crash were imminent it would be on the news by now as well. But then again, calculations in space can be wrong :\. We shall see

They would never broadcast an imminent collision on tv, it would induce such panic humanity would rip itself apart before getting slammed. they would rather us dumb and clueless.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

the magnetosphere DOES NOT protect us from asteroids, it may help break them up a little also when they reach the earths inner atmosphere, but i doubt that this one will impact us, 0.8 ld is at a safe enough distance for it not to be pulled in by our gravitation...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
reply to post by daryllyn

the magnetosphere DOES NOT protect us from asteroids, it may help break them up a little also when they reach the earths inner atmosphere, but i doubt that this one will impact us, 0.8 ld is at a safe enough distance for it not to be pulled in by our gravitation...

I was pretty sure that it didn't protect us from an impact but couldn't find anything on google to confirm. Someone posted the odds of it hitting us and they were pretty slim.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosticquasar

My birthday too! Sigh...looks like it'll be a good idea to get drunk in a bomb shelter this year.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
One Question: Could a Solar Flare or something else the Sun throws at us,change the Path of an Asteroid?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I hope it does crash into us.

I have a physics exam tomorrow that I would rather not do

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
this astroid will pass us at a minimum distance of 0.00203736675472724 AU (astronomical unit/ distance from earth to the sun) which equals 189,385.235 miles, we should be good. thats the minimum distance.

though i think it'd be sweet if it did hit earth, especially if it hit tom brady

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Chefspicy

the magnetic polar shield protects earth from the solar burst of the sun, not the meteors..when the olar shield changes it is completely gone anywhere from 1 day upward to 6 months, in this time solar burts can affect earth. When it happens, we all need to pray that a super solar blast dont occur.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I reccomend you stock up on tins and water, tobacco and anything else you might be able to barter with.
If you have guns, get spare ammo. Fill up the cars with as much fuel as possible.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
2011 AN52
Earth Impact Risk Summary

Impact Probability: 9.2e-10

0.000000092% chance of Earth impact

Probably get ran over by a bus first....

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
8m is such a small asteroid, we have thick atmosphere, even without magnetic field, that will surely burn in our atmosphere before it reaches ground. So no panic

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think some are confused about what "protects" us from asteroid impacts. Our atmosphere (especially with a smaller rock like this) will easily disentigrate the object if it were even to get close enough to earth to be pulled in. No sweat. A ELE-type asteroid would not be able to be hidden by NASA however...simple fact is something that big would be easily discovered by amatuer astronomers.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
If these things are being found all the time then where are they coming from?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
0.8LD!!!!
Holy jumping Jes*s......isn't that like 0.2ED (Earth distance) when your on the moon!!!

And with no atmosphere that would make for an even bigger bang for your buck!!!

But seriously, anybody calculated if this thing doesn't have the potential to hit the moon??

Peace

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Most likely some of the craters on the moon are from asteroids. Anybody good with math to give us an idea of the forthcoming asteroid distance from the moon?
edit on 16-1-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

wouldn't an 8 mile meteor wipe out half the globe?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by operation mindcrime

Most like some of the craters on the moon are from asteroids. Anybody good with math to give us an idea of the forthcoming asteroid distance from the moon?

Well i am not to flash at math though im thinking if the asteroid is 0.8LD from Earth it would most likely be 0.2ED (Earth distance) from the moon.

Sorry couldn't resist :-)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join