It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

34,000-Year-Old Organisms Found Buried Alive!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

Agreed, not only Mars, but Saturn and Jupiters moons. I really like Europa and Titan to name a few.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

Lol, star from me, that made me laugh. I would not like to volunteer for the taste test though.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Amazing!!
The fact that they somehow REPAIRED THEIR DNA for more than 30000 years, could give us SOME hints in our research on mitigating DNA decay (one of the keys in slowing the aging process in humans)
Wow, my mind is boiling!

S&F
Drakus

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I'm not sure Mother Earth can take another life like us
after all we are destroying the planet and don't deserve all she has done and given to us so hopefully if another life form does take over they will be nothing like us

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
There is an x-files episode about this...a logging crew unleashes a bug from a very very old tree that kills instaneously...we could be releasing the daddy of the HIV virus...the beginning of the new bubonic plague...Id be careful

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by fonenyc
reply to post by silo13

Those ar e the horse like insects in revelations

Nope, those verses describe modern day attack helicopters. Go back and read it again, the hairs on your neck will stand up.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
"I told you people shrink when the grow old!"

Makes you think twice about eating that Himalayan salt....

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Any chance you have more information on the pterosaur story. This whole vein of information is astounding but to think a dinosaur came back to life, even for a moment, after being encased in coal for what was surely millions of years, is nothing short of mind-blowing.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by GirlGenius
Good find! Pandora's box?

I agree.

I always get nervous when they dig up some long buried virus or bacteria to study or find these things in ice core sample they get from thousands of feet down.

Bringing up these things that have been dormant for 30,000 years could end up being the end of us one day

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
34,000 years? what say the creationist new earth believers on ATS?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Hmm read through and then skimmed again to see if they stated where this was found like on floor level, inside of a cave, or even after digging. Didn't really see it but being 4:00 AM I can miss a lot. Anyway quite the interesting tale and kind of makes me wonder what else is out there in the world and what has been encapsulated.

S+F

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01

34,000-Year-Old Organisms Found Buried Alive!

news.yahoo.com

It's a tale that has all the trappings of a cult 1960s sci-fi movie: Scientists bring back ancient salt crystals, dug up from deep below Death Valley for climate research. The sparkling crystals are carefully packed away until, years later, a young, unknown researcher takes a second look at the 34,000-year-old crystals and discovers, trapped inside, something strange. Something ... alive.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Very interesting article! I am looking forward to seeing if they can work out what sort of mechanisms they use to maintain their DNA for such extended periods - may prove very useful!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electric Crown
I don't think the organisms are 34,000 old themselves. Maybe organisms have thrived in 34,000 year old sediment. This would be big, BIG news if actual living things were that old. And you couldn't radio carbon date them, because living cells renew themselves. Can you "count the tree rings" on such things?

Not true. Bacteria respond quite dramatically to their environment. If there is plenty of energy available to them, they will flourish and reproduce until their food is gone. Once it their energy source has become limited in supply, they are able to save energy by not reproducing and simply maintaining themselves. It's a survival technique.

No, you cannot carbon date a living organism. I am not a biologist, I am a chemist, so all my microbiology knowledge comes from a few undergrad courses I did a few years back. In other words, I do not know how to tell how old a colony of bacteria is. My previous paragraph is very much true though. Feel free to look it up.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I wonder how it would taste on pasta?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by laslidealist
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I'm not sure Mother Earth can take another life like us
after all we are destroying the planet and don't deserve all she has done and given to us so hopefully if another life form does take over they will be nothing like us

So true and qft! "Only cockroaches and other insects will survive a potential apocalypse", said someone I can't remember. And only when "we have felled the last tree, killed the last game and fished the last fish we will realize that you cannot eat money". (some Native American saying paraphrased. But not to worry, mother Earth will survive and amazingly so will life in general (just look at all the major extinction events in Earth's history; after every one of them nature bounces back and life flourishes again and sometimes takes unexpected turns, like producing us.)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
hmm awesome the military now can add 34,000 year organisms to its list of arsenal of sh!t to kill us with. im pretty sure the human immune system would need time to adapt to an organism this old. and being 80% salt water doesnt board too well for us.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by tim3lord

Is anyone thinking what im thinking ? Thats right ... Microwave oven

Seriously though , defrost these morsels and throw em on the Bbq , We do every other living animal .

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The Pterosaur coming back to life I also read, it was in the book "Mysteries of the Unexplained". It was filled with many great stories, but how much of it that can be taken as fact is another story.

Pretty interesting about the power of the microbes!
That Kitty picture hanging on the rope by its claw saying "Hang in There" should be updated with a snap shot of these tough little buggers

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by JoseChung
Black oil time!

That was the first thing that i thought.
==============================
OP very interesting.What amazed me is that not only it's alive,but it managed to reproduce itself.And pretty quick if you think that it was trapped for 34,000 years.

Schubert said the microbes took about two-and-a-half months to "wake up" out of their survival state before they started to reproduce, behavior that has been previously documented in bacteria, and a strategy that certainly makes sense. "It's 34,000 years old and it has a kid," Schubert said. And ironically, once that happens, the new bacteria are, of course, entirely modern.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by StaceyWilson

yeah unless we can get 100% proof this isnt going to cause us harm im pretty sure im with the lets burn these puppies group.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join