It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

34,000-Year-Old Organisms Found Buried Alive!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by tim3lord
reply to post by StaceyWilson

yeah unless we can get 100% proof this isnt going to cause us harm im pretty sure im with the lets burn these puppies group.

You watch too many sci-fi movies. Research into these organisms could prove to be very useful in our understanding of molecular cell biology, which will in turn have an affect on medical advancements, etc. I can promise you that bacteria and any biohazardous materials are well contained in these sorts of labs.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Thrive isn't the word. More like, barely getting by.

Bacteria is resilient. Just proves that life never really dies on a conquered planet.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Scientists have found air bubbles trapped in the sap of trees. The oxygen and pressure were tested and found that there was almost double the oxygen and double pressure.

Now some posters on here were talking about creatures stuck in coal. When released, they died in a few minutes. Now I don’t know how they can survive in there for so long, because the oxygen will run out, but if they somehow managed to survive, maybe the change in pressure’s what kills them.

Kinda like a diver that has to de-pressurize after a deep dive.

Food for thought…

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
What they meant to say is that the halophiles have been preserved in the salt crystal for 34000 years. During this time period, the bacteria have reproduced and recycled themselves by whatever means possible.

edit on 1/14/2011 by die_another_day because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The first thing I thought of was the movie "the Thing"!

Some one get Kurt Russel on the phone ASAP!!!!

Oh yeah...Take THAT creationists!
edit on 14-1-2011 by BoneMosaic because: to piss someone off.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Wow. To think that Ted Williams had it all wrong! Instead of going with the cryogenic chamber, he just should've moved to West Virginia and thrown himself into one of their many coal mines. Why waste the money on a cryogenic chamber and all the energy costs associated with keeping it running, (In Teds case it is TWO chambers. One for his head, and one for his body.), when he could be encased in coal for a couple thousand years or so and wake up when un unsuspecting miner chips away at his 'cocoon'? Imagine the look on the miners face when Ted woke up and said 'Hey! Where's my body?"

This is a really interesting story. Great post. This is the only place I've even heard of these organisms existence. It really does make you wonder, doesn't it? This adds to the intrigue of what may be dicovered in Lake Vostock. I can't wait until some solid information from a reputable source comes about.
edit on 14/1/2011 by withopeneyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by withopeneyesWow. To think that Ted Williams had it all wrong! Instead of going with the cryogenic chamber, he just should've moved to West Virginia and thrown himself into one of their many coal mines.

I lol'd - thanks for making my day

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I wonder if studying how these ancient bacteria repair their DNA (as indicated in the article) could yield new paths toward reducing the effects of oxidative stress and aging in humans. Just a thought. Very interesting, regardless.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by the cynic jester

some might even say a story like that is
"to good to be true"

I wouldnt give it much credence.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
just another example of how the planet Earth might just be the quintessential cruicible for life
to be found on other worlds...

iow, we don't really need to travel light years away to find creatures--
'alien life forms' that are now or once were inhabitants of the Earth's total bio-sphere.

life forms in acid/ no light/ eating hydrogen..now life that seems eternal locked in a crystal cage
sure hope they don't have mens faces, long hair, an winged insect body and stingers like scorpions
(see: Revelation 9:2-3) ~[size=-3]
And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit,
as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power,
as the scorpions of the earth have power...

edit on 14-1-2011 by St Udio because: resize with the required =

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It just goes to show that life can survive anywhere. Even space if like an Ocean of life forms, and no one thought that anything could live in space. Thanks for posting this, the more we learn about life in the universe the more we learn about ourselves. I hope we become that adaptibable.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well, I'm thinkin'.............Salty ?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
That bacteria.. Is that what we evolved from? If so, then you are looking at Great Great Great Great Great Great Uncle Joe. =D

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

z34K years? Wait I thought the earth was 6,000 years old... So these are older than the earth?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Crutchley29

Hard to say...
Much harder to care...
Those who chose to minimize God...limit him to
6000 years....Is much too tiny a box to hold the creator.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

That was my thoughts as well but I have been wrong before.
I mean if two days ago someone had said we'd have
34,000 year old organisms found alive in a salt crystal
I'd have laughed and said I guess it's possible...but unlikely.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Loki Lyesmyth

z34K years? Wait I thought the earth was 6,000 years old... So these are older than the earth?

I'm assuming this is a poke at creationists? At least I hope so.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
What they meant to say is that the halophiles have been preserved in the salt crystal for 34000 years. During this time period, the bacteria have reproduced and recycled themselves by whatever means possible.

edit on 1/14/2011 by die_another_day because: (no reason given)

Read my post about survival tactics of bacteria. They don't do this. If there is limited food available to them, they become sessile and go into a sort of 'hibernation' phase.

Fromt the article:

"They're alive, but they're not using any energy to swim around, they're not reproducing," Schubert told OurAmazingPlanet. "They're not doing anything at all except maintaining themselves."...

Schubert said the microbes took about two-and-a-half months to "wake up" out of their survival state before they started to reproduce, behavior that has been previously documented in bacteria, and a strategy that certainly makes sense.
"It's 34,000 years old and it has a kid," Schubert said. And ironically, once that happens, the new bacteria are, of course, entirely modern.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
life finds a way to survive and adapt, even if it means "hibernating" for thousands of years!
And the Exo life debate still rages on, life is a self replicating fractal floating in the oceans of time and space, as is on a molecular level is on a cosmical proportion, sides to the same precious jewel...

We get hints everyday, yet we refuse to see...

great topic OP!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

WOW thanks for post what is scary just imagine a Bacteria like this ! that was Dormant From Space
that was Like what the Op Posted .. Instead In a large Scale ... Meteorite Or Comet

Buried underneath the Ice over 100,000 years in Ice

The Thing

The Invasion

I wonder in all those Ice Shards Comets Etc.. beyond the Outer Limits of the Ort Cloud Would of had Anything in them Especially that was from a another solar system that was Long gone

Oort Cloud
en.wikipedia.org...

The Oort cloud is thought to comprise two separate regions: a spherical outer Oort cloud and a disc-shaped inner Oort cloud, or Hills cloud. Objects in the Oort cloud are largely composed of ices, such as water, ammonia, and methane.[1]

Meteorites & Life (Crumbs of Creation Formation of the Ort Cloud)
www.pbs.org...

The Kuplair Belt ! Discoverd in 1992

en.wikipedia.org...

[

Kuiper objects are composed largely of frozen volatiles (termed "ices"), such as methane, ammonia and water.

Read On !

(NASA)
Kuiper Belt of Many Colors
www.nasa.gov...

When you take the right mix of materials and radiate them, you can produce the most complex species of molecules," says Cooper. In some cases you may be able to produce the components of life -- not just organic materials, but biological molecules such as amino acids. We're not saying that life is produced in the Kuiper Belt, but the basic chemistry may start there, as could also happen in similar Kuiper Belt environments elsewhere in the universe and that is a natural path which could lead toward the chemical evolution of life."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join