It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Human infestation [WRAP]

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

We're not a pimple, love. We're a cancer. Malignant, evil, filthy cancer. But we can change. At least with a pimple, it can be healed. If we clean up our act, we'll be ok. Its not just how many humans there are, but think for a moment, in the US I read once that there were two cows for every man, woman and child. That's feed lots, pesticides, waste products, topsoil erosion, methane production, distribution costs, processing, labor, and the list goes on. Then there are the poultry farms, pig farms, other industries sundry and otherwise.. gah. See how it spreads from a little pimple on the surface to tendrils of sickness under the skin?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by brokenbullet56

True but ONE person can make a difference... like the owner of one of the waste management companies here in Las Vegas... They pick up all food scraps and sell em cheap to the huge pig farm at the edge of town. They have a large piece of land where they sort all the trash into categories and made a huge profit as a result... and little ends up in the land fill. They handle about 50% of the waste in Las Vegas and employ a lot of people to sort that trash

edit on 11-1-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by SLAYER69

Great thread Slayer,star and flag.I do remember that
commercial.This planet is big enough to support the
population.The problem is that we haven't taken care
of it.

Technology has really been a curse for us all.When
housework was made easier,women started getting lazy.
When food was mass produced and less people farming.
We all started getting fat.Since americans always want
to get their monies worth,fast food has gotten us obese.

Our children don't go outside and play anymore,it's not safe.
Technology is slowly turning our children into video game
zombies.People aren't allowed to spank their children as
a form of punishment.Yet our children are kept drugged
up in order to "control" their bad behavior.

I think it would be a good idea to go back to living like our
ancestors did in the 1800's.Start all over again and see if
we have learned anything from the mistakes we made.
Sorry,if this seems like ranting...

I agree with your last paragraph - to go back to living more simply as our ancestors did. But as for the rest, well, I take issue with it all.

Technology is not the curse, it is the human's responsibility to live a life respectfully. Technology did not MAKE women lazy, MAKE people stop farming, or MAKE people fat. Technology does not dictate punishment, it does not drug our children.

I think blaming technology for the woes of the world is a very pitiful choice. I for one have a computer and cell phone, but I choose to not be run by them. I turn them off, go outside, work in my garden, raise my animals, speak face to face with other real live people. It's perfectly safe for children to play outside. Plenty of people would prefer to farm. Technology is not the problem. Politics and business have made a mess of things. Read Michael Pollan's books, watch Food Inc., look at what people CHOOSE to put in their grocery carts. Ask "who is buying the video games, paying for the cable, filling the prescriptions?"

Don't blame technology. That's a cop-out. People must be held responsible for how we live our lives, how we treat our planet.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Now convince anyone with half sense that our presence on Earth is polluting the planet

If you don't think the human race is polluting the planet, you're beyond reasoning with. I won't
even attempt.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Thank you for one of the best threads of the new year. At times, there can be a lot of junk posts on here that are not well thought out, developed, or presented in a meaningful manner. This was well researched and I appreciate the great pictures that you posted.

I hope every ATS member takes this to heart.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
great article, who knows if we can do anything about it, or if this is the same reason the earth has been destroyed and reborn several times from what ive heard. and i imagine it wasn't totally destroyed, just some mass extinction events.
maybe it is too late now, their is too much greed and emphasis on money, profit and power. but maybe we can change things. we must never give up on that idea, or we truly are doomed.
love to you all.

steve.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is a serious question.

What would it take for us to start our own "back to basics" community?

I'm not sure where we would start it.. maybe we could buy land from the Amish with promise we would live like them? We eat what we grow, we raise our children on our own and we help our neighbors. There will be no currency as money ultimately leads to corruption.

I have faith in mankind.. what say you?
edit on 11-1-2011 by Above_Beyond because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That's what i said in my first post, just pointing out what it seems to me the majority think at least in b.c. canada, everyone seems so laid back and talks alot about the problems but don't do anything about it. One person can make a difference but they have to spread the word also!
edit on 11-1-2011 by brokenbullet56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

powerful good stuff my friend. S+F. I was just debating with another member on a different thread how we need to sort out & properly care for ourselves our people & our planet before we would be welcome 'out there'.

The pollution & starvation points hit me the hardest. I think maybe population is not the problem though - its power being in the few hands they are, and attitudes, attitudes need to change most of all...just speculating...I can't say you didn't get me thinking...

Peace,
-B.M
edit on 11/1/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
Earth's "Infestation" by man... what a joke.

There are approximately 6.8 billion humans on Earth. Each one takes an average of approximately 20 cubic feet of space. For all of you who can do some simple math, calculate the total cubic feet in one cubic mile and you will find that EVERY HUMAN ON EARTH would fit into a "box" that is 1 (ONE) cubic mile in size and have lots of space left over.

The atmosphere on Earth to only 5 miles up comprises approximately 10 Billion cubic miles. So man in relation to the Earth's atmosphere is less than 1 in 10 Billion.

Now convince anyone with half sense and one eye that our presence on Earth is affecting climate or polluting the planet to the point that we are going to "die in our own excrement" or irreversibly poison the planet.

We are a pimple on a gnat's butt.

So, who's prescence is it then?? All the cows in the world for farting??

I lurk on these boards and rarely make comments, mainly because most posts don't deserve any..

But i had to put in my 2c here.
Slayer, most eloquently put. I wholeheatedly agree with you, and i too have felt a sense of foreboding for a number of years, like something is not quite right with the world.

Someone posted earlier that if the tptb (or some of them) checked this post, they'd have a change of heart, or words to that effect... I'm pretty sure they'd be rubbing thier greasy fat-fingered hands together, light up another $1000 cigar with another $100 bill, pour out a glass of $25,000 glass of wine into a solid gold wine glass and say... "See this, it's the worlds smallest violin!, go cry to someone who cares!!"

What we need, is for EVERYONE to take one day, only one, and not buy any single thing. No fuel, no food, no ipad, no tv's, no Mcdonalds (not food imo....), nothing! That would get attention! Unfortunately people will be sheeple, even the simplest thing is way too hard in this age of disposableness...... Let someone else do it, i need my fix!!

What we REALLY need as a race is another Dark Age. Something to make us take stock of where we have been, where we are and where we are headed. Without this, we lose!

If there is another race out there with us in it's sights, i say BRING IT! We need it.

If i could, i'd give 100 stars Slayer.

p.s. sorry for the rant guys, but i know how Slayer feels....
Cheers.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Enters the Devil's Advocate
Don't give a # about the temperature in Guatemala don't really see what all the fuss is about...

Ain't gonna worry about no future generations and a I'm sure somebody's gonna figure it out.

ALL RIGHT!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
An extremely important and profound topic! Star and flag for you Sir! It is a shame that the world has gotten to the point it has. The earth and its people should be treated with love and respect. Sadly, there are far too many people who don't care or don't care enough. Is this the kind of world we wish to leave our children?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

I did not say we are not polluting, I just make the point that it is being blown out of all proportion especially when it comes to affecting the climate. We do need to clean up after ourselves.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

That is a very good point! My family tries to recycle as much as possible (thankfully) and I try to turn off certain electronics when they are not in use i.e lights, TV, etc. In my first post, I was merely using that as an example. Obviously, getting rid of all the TV's in the world would not really solve this problem. But I am glad to know that there are people who try to take every step possible to help the planet!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Above_Beyond
This is a serious question.

What would it take for us to start our own "back to basics" community?

I'm not sure where we would start it.. maybe we could buy land from the Amish with promise we would live like them? We eat what we grow, we raise our children on our own and we help our neighbors. There will be no currency as money ultimately leads to corruption.

I have faith in mankind.. what say you?
edit on 11-1-2011 by Above_Beyond because: (no reason given)

Many of us already have started - moved back to the land, purchased a few acres, become a part of a community who shares what we produce, our skills, our knowledge. I can't seem to get raspberries to grow, but my neighbor is more than happy to share her crop with me, I in turn take her fresh eggs from my chickens.

It's happening all the time, in many many places. One only needs to get out of the concrete jungle and be with nature (just don't take someone else's land. we don't take your stuff). Or, stay in the jungle but adjust your life to value the back to basics life - support local, skip the chain stores, find farmers markets, consume less, re-use more, actually TALK to human beings, and develop communities.

There is a period of adjustment, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by expat2368
Earth's "Infestation" by man... what a joke.

There are approximately 6.8 billion humans on Earth. Each one takes an average of approximately 20 cubic feet of space. For all of you who can do some simple math, calculate the total cubic feet in one cubic mile and you will find that EVERY HUMAN ON EARTH would fit into a "box" that is 1 (ONE) cubic mile in size and have lots of space left over.

We are a pimple on a gnat's butt.

Yeah I kind of addressed that in the OP.

"The world is reaching 7 Billion people. We are in no danger of over population anytime soon BUT we are not supporting the people we already have. How can we Support an even larger population? "

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Nice thread - I would bet my life that Humans wont last the next 1000 years if we continue on this path. If only I had a time machine so I could prove it...

It's kind of ironic though isn't it...everything revolves around money...and because of this businesses will:

1) Design products with in-built failing mechanisms.
2) Mass produce useless products.
3) Use trickery and manipulative tactics to sell useless products.
4) Cut costs by disposing of wastes in unethical ways.

Wouldn't it be so much better if a business would:

1) Design quality products made to last, customer needs should come first.
2) Produce useful products that people will really need.
3) Explain exactly what the products is and what it does.
4) Use environmentally friendly machines and disposal methods.

Hmmmm...maybe I should stop dreaming...businesses don't really care about the customer or the planet in this delusional world...all that matters is MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 11-1-2011 by WhizPhiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

SF OP! That was a great reality check. I have been crenging for years when people at work, college, and even middle school go through paper by the thousands of sheets everyday. I am legally blind and have always required large print copies from the zerox machines and have always felt a guilt for having to use so much paper. After a while I then took a stand and started to find new methods of learning to avoid over excessive paper use. It really does give me an anxiety when looking at the true nature of this subject. Between construction, human waste, destruction, wars, petroleum products, over consumption, and nuclear testing. I really just think we’ve out done ourselves and the population is moving fast “ and I really do mean fast”. I love this planet and want to take a stand. Am I a tree hugger? Yes I am. We have to stop. There are people actually taking a stand, but their voices are being drowned out by fulltime jobs, keeping up with the Jones’s, Grays Anatomy, and the fact that they are a sickness and paycheck away from losing everything. The family isn’t what it used to be. There a lot of lonely individuals out there. And for what? Corporate greed, corrupt government, famine, disease and so forth. Is a world government actually inevitable to succeed as a race? Do we need to be more conscious in our breeding habbits? Would we have been in better if we would have bought into Al Gores global warming skeem, or would have corporate greed have destroyed that one chance possible chance for humans to start using the planet the way we are supposed to? Like I said, the voices are being drowned out we need a larger group of young logical thinking people not only try to help tackle these issues locally, but globally as well. This is taking place as we speak but like everyone else knows it will be a slow evolution for us to come to the point of perfection. If we don’t destroy Earth first. Scary times up ahead, what a lot of people don’t realize that we and other super powers around the world can make the wrong sequence of decisions, and things might not work out for our race. GREAT Thread op hits close to home.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
You summed it up nicely Slayer. We need more people in the world with your kind of mentality.

The path of 'Business as Usual' is a road leading to destruction. Mankind is not following the rules of nature. On a small scale our Tech is harmless. Spread it globally, nature suffers. That's what has happened these last few 100 years. We are beginning to pay for our advanced civilization in the rape of the natural world.

Human corruption aside, if people that were prosperous gave to those in need this world would be a better place. This means that the poverty stricken people when recovered would build for them a strong society and eventually gain wealth in the end. The people who were generous from the beginning may need the help of those that received the aid in the end. Those with a surplus offset those with a deficiency. This is the natural order of balance. Nature follows this course to bring balance to its ecosystems.

If we get rid of greed, corruption, selfishness, and a great deal more vises then this world will turn around. We need an outside influence to wake us all up from this destructive path.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Monsanto will hold the switch,they just turn off the supply of food and cause mass starvation,they are about to cull the gene pool,and only the more resourceful will survive,the rich will have the money to buy near immortality,then they will bring out their advanced tech to clean up the world, and then go on to explore and colonize other worlds in the galaxy.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join