It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flash flood wreaks havoc through Toowoomba Video

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DC449
Yeah i was up at my holiday house in marysville in the Bushfires and they honestly need to leave, even if they think it is fine. Leave. What i went through was a totally different disaster, but they both move quick and are deadly. Dont wait before it is too late. Learn from the fires. Dont rely on the emergency services to tell you to leave, if you are in danger leave.

You were stuck up there during the fires? I can't imagine how horrifying that would have been. I watched it all unfold and I was so upset to see such a beautiful area just be completley destroyed. My mother worked with a lady who was down there on holidays and had to jump into a small dam to take shelter but she still was badly burnt - she's back at work now, though it apparently took her quite a bit to recover.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Sorry if you all feel like i'm adding too much info, but Courier Mail has updated (finally) to announce that up to FIFTY people are missing - I created a thread on Breaking news, as i thought it was enough to warrant one, here's the link to that thread here it's got a couple more articles tacked on to it.

I'll post this one here for any of you guys in Brisbane like me, They are fearing Wivenhoe's flood storage compartment could fill within 1.5 days. From what I last heard, the damn was at 140% full, and it "has the potential to go past 200% before flooding" Wivenhoe article here

Scary stuff, I know i'll be up early as possible to hear what horrors the morning shows us.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Can I just say.. if this was happening in America there'd be hundreds of threads with hundreds of flags, possibly even its own subforum! This QLD flood business is not much different from what happened with hurricane katrina and I fear it will only get worse.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Can I just say.. if this was happening in America there'd be hundreds of threads with hundreds of flags, possibly even its own subforum! This QLD flood business is not much different from what happened with hurricane katrina and I fear it will only get worse.

I think that's partly because we are significantly outnumbered member wise
, but I really hope you're wrong about it being our own Katrina. I think it's all we are going to be hearing about for awhile. I've got a 4 month old, we can tell her the stories of this like my parents did with my sister and I about 74'

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I'm fearing that it will reach Victoria. There were floods not long ago that reached out Maryborough way and caused lots of issues.

I hope the 50 missing people are just that - missing. I hope there's no more deaths.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This has been the wettest summer I’ve ever seen. I hate the heat and I know we need the rain, but I think this may get worse before it starts getting better. My sympathy goes out to the everyday Aussie being affected by these devastating floods.

Too dry we burn, too wet we drown. We just can’t win.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

There was flooding today in Victoria.

Not sure where, it was out west.
edit on 10-1-2011 by TheKingsVillian because: (no reason given)

link   
From Canada here. Never been to Australia.
Can somone help to explain how this could be happening? It sounds like it is rare but not unheard of if it happened back in the 70's.

Why would people live in an area prone to such heavy flooding ??
Has man contributed somehow to the vulnerability?

Serious questions folks, out of not knowing.
From the videos, the destruction is unbelievable.
Be safe.

link   
Yeah it's crazy huh. I wonder if it isn't a warning or sample of things to come though?
I understand these sort of floods are normal, and bushfires are normal, and heatwaves are normal.. but to get them all within one year of each other isn't so normal.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian

I thought I heard that but wasn't too sure. It was down Maryborough way wasn't it?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

People live in areas prone to flooding and bushfires because they figure nothing's going to happen and if something does happen it will spare them. Or they can't afford to move somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

hisz.rsoe.hu...

This gives a warning for flash floods victoria wide.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

For the reasons Nventual stated, and many others. It's their home, they were born there, they love it and wouldn't leave it no matter what. They are aware they are on flood plains, but the amount of drought we've had in the past, it's easy to forget how quickly waters can rise!

Then I think of this song;
"Out on the patio, we sit, and the humidity, we breathe
we watch the lightning, crackle the cane fields, and laugh and think
'this is australia' "

I don't know one true QLD'er who doesn't love summer and watching the storms and rain roll in, this time of year it's all most talk about, and look forward to - it's just this time, the rain kept on keeping on - and now we've had enough for a while!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
If that low does develop into a Cyclone and heads to Queensland, god knows what will happen. Have family on the sunshine coast so will stay in contact.

Also yes as someone stated above here in Victoria their is a good chance that some places will receive 250mm plus in the next 3-4 days. It really is a very dire situation, lets hope not many more people are lost in these floods.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I live in "Gumbieville", only 50 miles South of Toowoomba and have already been isolated for a couple of days at christmas, and looks like it's coming again. Nature is simple awesome and powerful.

The evacuation order for the effected areas went out early tonight my time and they are expecting to move about 5,000 people out of harms way.

It does seem weird that a place 500 metres or so above sea level on a mountain range can flood so terribly, so quickly and with such devastation as the flash flood of today... yesterday now. Sad for the loss of life and the missing.

But there is far more to come yet.

I've been saying since early last year that massive floods are coming. Then in early Spring I said it was coming this season.. and it started. We have seen nothing yet folks... it will get much worse. Even the old Cockies are saying the same thing now and they should know.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Look at that truck just get swept away like it's a piece of driftwood. Imagine that you're just on your way to get some lunch or something, you're sitting at a stoplight, and you just see a river of water coming towards you in the middle of town. I don't even know how I would react to that. Maybe gun it and try to somehow ramp over the water and defy physics. That would be a good story

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Watched a report late last night.They are saying the Wivinhoe dam is 40% above capacity and the water flowing in to the dam from the valley is twice the water volume of Sydney harbour per day.! Say What ???? 2 days and she will have peaked over the top .This reminds me of Hard Rain with Christian Slater and Morgan Freeman .Kind of makes you want to by a jet ski doesn't it ? They are now describing this as a inland tsunami .I'd go with that ! Be safe everyone .

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
Watched a report late last night.They are saying the Wivinhoe dam is 40% above capacity and the water flowing in to the dam from the valley is twice the water volume of Sydney harbour per day.! Say What ???? 2 days and she will have peaked over the top .This reminds me of Hard Rain with Christian Slater and Morgan Freeman .Kind of makes you want to by a jet ski doesn't it ? They are now describing this as a inland tsunami .I'd go with that ! Be safe everyone .

"twice the water volume of Sydney harbour per day."

I cannot even fathom the sheer amount of water that is.

Twice that in a day. Unbelievable. A jet ski sounds like a great idea, until a car being swept in the current slams into you and kills you. Still, it's better than just floating in the water and being tossed around like a ragdoll

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yissachar1
Does anyone know if comms in toowoomba are down? Trying to get in touch with a few people I know there.

Sorry mate they just had a emergency room hotline contact number on the idiot box, by the time I got from the kitchen table to a pen and paper it was over . I think it was 1300 931 993 .If it is on again I will confirm .

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here you go 1300 993 191 . Update 8 dead , 50 found another 30 missing .
edit on 10-1-2011 by 13th Zodiac because: typo

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join