It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about picking up a used Ruger Mini-14 opinions please

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I was cruising some of my gun spots in Hot Springs and came across a pretty clean Ruger Mini-14 synthetic stock stainless action and barrel, I broke it down in the shop. They know me well there and know it's my standard procedure for considering a used gun, it appeared to not have too many rounds through it from what my mediocre eyes. It's a fixed synthetic stock carbine, just coming with the 10 round flush magazine after reviewing Ruger's website it is an All Weather Ranch Rifle w/18.5" barrel. Now they were asking $675 but I think I could get them down to at least $600 with a 20 round mag or two thrown in seems to be a decent deal to me but what do you guys think? Should I just pick up a CAI Golani to play with (now granted I do know about some issues that some people have had but I'm looking for a new project to play with and the Golani does have quite a bit of potential).

Also any other suggestions for a good preferably 5.56 semi around the same price range as I can get that Mini-14 or Golani for?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Wow, I would absolutely LOVE to own a weapon like that. All my family owns is a weak ass .22 rifle. It honestly has about as much firepower as a BB gun haha.
edit on 9-1-2011 by DontLegalizeDecriminalize because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DontLegalizeDecriminalize

Actually out of a rifle the .22LR can be pretty effective especially with proper shot placement when I was many years younger I took quite a few deer with well placed shots. Although the last one that I shot with a .22 were not clean hits and ended up having to track it quite a ways before I could put it out of the misery, I was not proud of that and never tried it again. Also had a crazy relative that took a black bear up in the Ozarks who dropped the bear with 2 well placed shots, although I would never suggest anyone try to do that lest it is an extreme emergency and that's all you have.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BigDave-AR

Yeah with good aim, a head or upper torso shot would definitely kill somebody. But I would much rather have a glock .45 handy instead of a deuce deuce, you KNOW the person is going down if they get hit with that. But I guess I have the advantage when using a .22, because it basically sounds like a silenced weapon it's so quiet

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontLegalizeDecriminalize

Yeah with good aim, a head or upper torso shot would definitely kill somebody. But I would much rather have a glock .45 handy instead of a deuce deuce, you KNOW the person is going down if they get hit with that. But I guess I have the advantage when using a .22, because it basically sounds like a silenced weapon it's so quiet

Personally for my hunting sidearm I always have my trusty Springfield 1911 GI loaded with a mix of FMJ and Remington Golden Saber JHP 185gr +P with two extra mags hasn't let me down yet. .22 sub sonics are extremely quiet even without a can and with a can they are ridiculous quiet. I'm getting a can for my trusty 10/22 pretty soon, another nice thing about the .22 is with an adult stock on the .22 I can put 5 rounds on target in very rapid succession with great accuracy thanks to the nonexistent kick.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

I have owned a Mini-14, I would encourage you to purchase this rifle instead of the Golani. I would recommend that you search several sites (1)swapgiant (2)armslist and (3)gunlistings. On these sites you may find a less expensive firearm of your choice.

I found the Mini-14 to be less accurate and louder than my M4 style rifle. I don't want you to think that it is a bad rifle, just that with the experience I have had with the AR15 family of rifles...I found the Mini-14 lacking. It is a good, solid and reliable rifle with much more potential than the Golani. There are many more options concerning (1) magazines (2) after-market stocks (3)optics/mounts and (4) replacement parts in general.

The most three most important things to remember are...MARKSMANSHIP, MARKSMANSHIP, MARKSMANSHIP

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Ha! I had that very same gun! With the "marine" finish as it is properly called and everything. I'll tell you I sold it to finance a trip to martis gras a few years ago and still miss it, though I do love my new rifle more than any gun I've ever shot lol (FNAR). It is great gun simple to care for and I dropped mine countless times in the Arizona dirt and sand and it never hung up on me. Great gun! Buy the Mini!
edit on 9-1-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob1971

I have owned a Mini-14, I would encourage you to purchase this rifle instead of the Golani. I would recommend that you search several sites (1)swapgiant (2)armslist and (3)gunlistings. On these sites you may find a less expensive firearm of your choice.

I found the Mini-14 to be less accurate and louder than my M4 style rifle. I don't want you to think that it is a bad rifle, just that with the experience I have had with the AR15 family of rifles...I found the Mini-14 lacking. It is a good, solid and reliable rifle with much more potential than the Golani. There are many more options concerning (1) magazines (2) after-market stocks (3)optics/mounts and (4) replacement parts in general.

The most three most important things to remember are...MARKSMANSHIP, MARKSMANSHIP, MARKSMANSHIP

Honestly I was kinda hoping to get a Golani and get it running true and when tuned up a little bit I think they are a great bang for the buck. Honestly the only thing I would change on the Golani aside from getting it running smooth is a magazine adapter. The Golani already has a good stock and great battle sights which is exactly how I would leave it this isn't a "gear q$*^&" project this is a reliable failsafe project. Honestly I would love to get a true IMI Galil but I've got other monetary priorities so that will have to wait this is just going to be a keep me entertained project. Well the nice thing about having 15 acres is I can practice anytime I see fit so I make sure to stay up on my perishable skills.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Speaking of Minis anyone on here played with the Mini-6.8 chambered in 6.8SPC?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigDave-AR
Speaking of Minis anyone on here played with the Mini-6.8 chambered in 6.8SPC?

Yes, don't bother with that round, get something in .308. It is very similar ballistically out to 4-500 yards then drops off. And if you are ever ina pinch it will ALWAYS be easier to find military rounds for your gun. For saving the family and such....

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I wouldn't waste your money. there are way better more accurate firearms to be had that aren't such burdens.

if you want to buy a ruger? buy a 1022 you'll be allot happier in the end, i assure you

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

Mine was plenty accurate out to a few hundred yards which is all you are gonna get out of a .223/5.56 anyway...

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz
Ha! I had that very same gun! With the "marine" finish as it is properly called and everything. I'll tell you I sold it to finance a trip to martis gras a few years ago and still miss it, though I do love my new rifle more than any gun I've ever shot lol (FNAR). It is great gun simple to care for and I dropped mine countless times in the Arizona dirt and sand and it never hung up on me. Great gun! Buy the Mini!
edit on 9-1-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

I'm seriously considering picking her up Monday. I still regret selling my first bolt gun Remington 700 ADL 7mm Rem. Mag 26" med. barrel, I loved that gun. Sold it to a friend who was supposed to hold on to it but he ended up selling it for half of what I would have paid him to get it back.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Ah the venerable Remington, in a terrific round too. Bummer your friend sold that on ya..

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
I wouldn't waste your money. there are way better more accurate firearms to be had that aren't such burdens.

if you want to buy a ruger? buy a 1022 you'll be allot happier in the end, i assure you

Are you kidding me? I have 3 10/22 including one I bought just to torture which has had at least a 1000 rounds through it without being cleaned?

Yes, don't bother with that round, get something in .308. It is very similar ballistically out to 4-500 yards then drops off. And if you are ever ina pinch it will ALWAYS be easier to find military rounds for your gun. For saving the family and such....

That's for another day and another dollar, I have my eyes on a Springfield M1A, I've always been a fan of the M1As and the .308 round.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
is it the older version or the new model?? ruger spent a lot of money retooling the mini-14 production line a few years ago, the new versions are more accurate than older versions, maybe even more reliable too.newer ones have front sight right at edge of barrel.older ones had front sight set back about1.5 inches back from muzzle end of barrel.you can get factory 20 and 30 round mags now, they arent cheap but they are reliable,and if you get a mini-30, only the factory mags are reliable.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz

Ah the venerable Remington, in a terrific round too. Bummer your friend sold that on ya..

Yeah she was champ, I took a many a game with that thing and she never once even thought about letting me down. Had a nice synthetic stock and the medium barrel was not too bad to carry out in the woods but still was good for follow up accuracy. I'm a pretty big bolt guy, if you know how to work a bolt you can be only marginally slower on follow up shots even with a long action. 7mm is still one of my favorite all time rounds, nice and flat trajectory and enough umph to take down any North American game cleanly, recoil never phased me either even after a day of shooting.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Well I would then wait and put the $ that you would have spent on a 6.8 towards that and the mini in .223
Just IMHO.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by madokie
is it the older version or the new model?? ruger spent a lot of money retooling the mini-14 production line a few years ago, the new versions are more accurate than older versions, maybe even more reliable too.newer ones have front sight right at edge of barrel.older ones had front sight set back about1.5 inches back from muzzle end of barrel.you can get factory 20 and 30 round mags now, they arent cheap but they are reliable,and if you get a mini-30, only the factory mags are reliable.

I had forgot that they did a retooling, thanks for bringing that up, Monday I will check on that for sure.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Oh I agree with you about the bolt actions. I only just recently have gone "bolt gun-less". That was after picking up my FNAR and having it shoot less than 1/2 MOA at 200 yards right out of the box!
And after 2,000 rounds it still perfect and hasn't jammed once even with some nasty surplus 7.62 being fed through..

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join