It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thinking about picking up a used Ruger Mini-14 opinions please

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz
reply to post by BigDave-AR

Well I would then wait and put the $ that you would have spent on a 6.8 towards that and the mini in .223
Just IMHO.

I never said I was considering the 6.8 just was curious how the caliber did in the Mini platform, I know some of the AR15s had some reliability issues after switching over. I may just end up waiting and picking up a nice M1A, what can I say I'm a Springfield who&re. I was mainly planning on possibly getting the Mini-14 as a birthday present for my self, the M1A wouldn't fall into that timeline unless I shifted some funds from other projects. Maybe the longtube headers on the Cobra can wait.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Check some of the other forums on the mini-14. I've heard that the barrel whips when shot. This would make the weapon inaccurate at less than 100 yards.
Save your money and get a M1A1 from Springfield. If you can afford to get the BullDog conversion, then your good to go.
This is from a California Manufacture called Short Stock Rifle Systems.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Oh I agree with you about the bolt actions. I only just recently have gone "bolt gun-less". That was after picking up my FNAR and having it shoot less than 1/2 MOA at 200 yards right out of the box!
And after 2,000 rounds it still perfect and hasn't jammed once even with some nasty surplus 7.62 being fed through..

That sounds awesome but I don't think I could ever go without at least one bolt gun. Actually come to think of it you would have to pry my Winchester .32 special lever gun from my cold dead fingers too...Charles Heston style.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Well sure as heck can't go wrong with an M1A1. Especially with a couple mods to make her your very own. As for the lever action, never had one, always have wanted one. That would be a neat one to have
There is just something very cool about a nice lever action rifle.

As for the Mini, I think it is a great little gun and doesn't foul like an AR but neither is an M1.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Well sure as heck can't go wrong with an M1A1. Especially with a couple mods to make her your very own. As for the lever action, never had one, always have wanted one. That would be a neat one to have
There is just something very cool about a nice lever action rifle.

As for the Mini, I think it is a great little gun and doesn't foul like an AR but neither is an M1.

It's very hard to beat a good lever gun as brush gun, mine has served in this capacity for many years. The .32 special was never all that popular but I personally like it as much the .30-.30. I had an extremely clean .30-.30 that I lost in a divorce, real bi%*^ of it was it wasn't even my divorce lol.

I think I need to post up some pictures of my old school firearms, my grandfather knowing what a gun nut I am gave them to me and there's some pretty cool pieces in the collection.
edit on 9-1-2011 by BigDave-AR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

My brush gun was always a sawed off 12 gauge or my grandpa's old service S&W .357 with some snake rounds lol. Well I'm sorry for getting off topic.

Final opinion: you could do a lot worse than the Mini..

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It's no problem I thought we had a pretty good conversation going and plus I left the thread wording open for new suggestions so as long as we were still talking about firearms I think we still a relevancy. If I'm going to have a shotgun for a brush gun it would definitely have to be my 870 Express Magnum receiver, the thing is a champ and even when it just had the pitiful little bead sight I'm very accurate out to a hundred yards with 00 buck. As far as a snake gun whenever I'm doing work on the property like bush hogging or cleaning up around the pond I always have a .22 magnum revolver at my side just in case and has taken care of plenty of cottonmouth.
I will let you guys know what I decide to do, I'm definitely going back to check out if it's a pre or post retooling model and will see how much I could get knocked off of it. As of right now I'm leaning towards just waiting a bit and getting the M1A, I'm sure I'd be happier in the long run. Decisions decisions......

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Violater1

I agree...if you can "rearrange" your funds to purchase an M1A - DO IT!!!. As I stated before, I'd stay away from the Golani. The Mini-14 is a good rifle, the M1A is better. I have owned many rifles and the M1A is one of my "top 5". Just for giggles here's my personal "Top 5"...(1) M1A -308/7.62, (2) MSAR Stg 556- 5.56/223, (3) Winchester Model 70 -30-06, (4) FN PS90- 5.7x28, and finally (5) M4 -5.56/223. Another great rifle with accuracy and reliablity is the "Dragunov" style rifles in 7.62x54 - I still kick myself for selling that one. And as before MARKSMANSHIP

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Yes to the newer designed Mini. I have that gun in the synthetic stock/blued. Couple other nice tidbits on it is that it eats both 5.56 and .223. Ruger approves this right in the manual. I don't thing the same can be said for the AR-15 platform carbines. They are also not as sensitive to dirt as the AR-15. I'm not saying it will shoot after leaving it in a swamp like the AK's but it doesn't have to be perfectly clean like the AR's like to operate either.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rob1971
reply to post by Violater1

I agree...if you can "rearrange" your funds to purchase an M1A - DO IT!!!. As I stated before, I'd stay away from the Golani. The Mini-14 is a good rifle, the M1A is better. I have owned many rifles and the M1A is one of my "top 5". Just for giggles here's my personal "Top 5"...(1) M1A -308/7.62, (2) MSAR Stg 556- 5.56/223, (3) Winchester Model 70 -30-06, (4) FN PS90- 5.7x28, and finally (5) M4 -5.56/223. Another great rifle with accuracy and reliablity is the "Dragunov" style rifles in 7.62x54 - I still kick myself for selling that one. And as before MARKSMANSHIP

I'm seriously thinking unless they cut me a deal I can't refuse on the Mini-14 I'm going to get the Springfield M1A Scout Squad. I like that it's a middle ground between the full length and SOCOM-16 models and absolutely love that it already has a zero eye relief scout scope mount, I've always been a huge fan of the scout rifle concept.

www.galleryofguns.com... 3

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I just sold one for 500 $ witha 30 rd mag and factory mag. if ur in south florida and need Guns let me know i sell at the Shows on the weekends.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
For $675 you can buy a very decent AR that will be a bit more reliable in the long run.

However that Mini 14 has such an M1A feel to the action...Feels good to fire this thing.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
For $675 you can buy a very decent AR that will be a bit more reliable in the long run.

However that Mini 14 has such an M1A feel to the action...Feels good to fire this thing.

Yup, 675 bucks could get an amazing gun.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I've owned a mini-14 ranch rifle in stainless steel with synthetic stock for almost 10 years and have really enjoyed having it. Bought it when I lived in CA because I couldn't buy an AR. After I got it sighted in, was able to shred the bullseye at 100 yards using just the iron sights it came with. In fact, trying to put a scope on it just junked it up IMO.

Regarding accuracy, I started having a problem with not being able to even hit the paper a year or so after I bought it. Wondered what was wrong until I realized from doing some research that the 62 gr. NATO ammunition I just had gotten a great deal on was too heavy for the barrel's rifling twist rate. Going back to 55 gr. ammunition solved the problem.

Great little rifle IMO - especially if you're "stuck" in California.

edit on 1/11/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

That and NATO designated 5.56mm produces higher chamber pressures and could damage/destroy your bore.

I'd go back to .223 Remington and load 62. gr rounds into it. I mean sure, your rounds might keyhole every so often, but you won't wind up with a damaged chamber which could be awfully costly.

5.56mm v. 223 Remington: Deconfusing the issues of a couple of differences…
edit on 11-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Thanks!

Since we live "in the same area", where do you like to do your target shooting, just have a favorite spot in the desert or a range somewhere?

BTW, my latest acquisition is a Rossi/Taurus Circuit Judge in .410/.45LC. Haven't tried shooting .45LC with it yet, but it seems really good at making 3 or 5 thumb sized holes (using 000 buck) in a target with every pull of the trigger.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Hah! you got a judge!

The 45 LC kicks like a .50 DE...Be careful when you fire that thing...I made the mistake of firing it like it was a regular pistol round and damned near broke my nose.

I have a spot picked out about 10 miles east of Reno. Not an official range or anything, but certainly legal to unload there.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Nah, Not worth it. Just my opinion.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn

Hah! you got a judge!

The 45 LC kicks like a .50 DE...Be careful when you fire that thing...I made the mistake of firing it like it was a regular pistol round and damned near broke my nose.

I have a spot picked out about 10 miles east of Reno. Not an official range or anything, but certainly legal to unload there.

The Circuit Judge is the carbine version of the Judge.

Check this link out for some pretty complete info.

source

Yeah, my spot is a couple miles off of U.S. 50 in the foothills east of CC.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

I did not know they made a carbine version of the Judge...

I shall be studying it and running off to my buddies proving grounds for a 500 round test...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join