It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update on Bird Die Off - From "Ground Zero"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Good Evening, Morning or afternoon - which ever the case may be.

This is my first thread on ATS, so I thought I would post about someting relevant to today's world.

I live in Beebe, Arkansas. Where the first reported Bird Die Off's occured.

It has been several days since this was first reported, and I just wanted to give everyone a bit of new information regarding this situation, which I haven't heard on the news or any other media yet.

There are many birds that are still alive - yet they are behaving strange. They do not seem to be able to fly - as if they have lost their ability to fly.

They are just hopping around on the ground. If you approach them, they will try to hop away, but will not fly.

It is possible that they were damaged in their falls from the sky, which rendered them unable to fly - but I just thought I'd give a bit of an update on that, because I found it odd.

That's about it - just wnated to update anyone who would be interested.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
Good Evening, Morning or afternoon - which ever the case may be.

This is my first thread on ATS, so I thought I would post about someting relevant to today's world.

I live in Beebe, Arkansas. Where the first reported Bird Die Off's occured.

It has been several days since this was first reported, and I just wanted to give everyone a bit of new information regarding this situation, which I haven't heard on the news or any other media yet.

There are many birds that are still alive - yet they are behaving strange. They do not seem to be able to fly - as if they have lost their ability to fly.

They are just hopping around on the ground. If you approach them, they will try to hop away, but will not fly.

It is possible that they were damaged in their falls from the sky, which rendered them unable to fly - but I just thought I'd give a bit of an update on that, because I found it odd.

That's about it - just wanted to update anyone who would be interested.

wow~! FINALLY, real news~!!!! thx you for posting, ATS members are constantly looking for reports from people in the local areas to confirm what is actually going on and what is NOT going on /reported.

If you hear/notice or anything that can help us gather more information besides what's being reported on the media.....Plz POST IT~! Today is the first day in Oregon I've heard the bird/fish/crab die off~!! ATS was on it for the last 3+ days.. !!!

Also noticed FoxNew on 13 didn't expound the #s of deaths being actually reported, such as 'there are thousands of crabs as well'.. NOT 40,000~!!!! yea.. so it 'sounds' like the crab mass murder is only 2,000....

yea... thx for posting .. *whew*..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Are they the blackbird type are different species of birds,that would help if you could define which kind

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I hope it's not the "golf blue plague" killing the fish and birds.We still hear so little, if anything about this microbe BP is using to eat the oil...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
you know i noticed something strange the other day, before I heard anything about bird die offs. I was reading a book at the park which is a normal thing for me, and after about 20 minutes i noticed a bright red cardinal fluttering in some thick brush. It flew within 20 feet from me. It caught my attention because sounded really loud like someone walking through the forest. For some reason I knew something was wrong with it, as if it was spooked or something. But I didn't give it much more thought than that.

Then another strange thing happened. I went back to my car and as I was sitting there trying to warm up I noticed a bigger bird, a hawk possibly, land on a tree across the street from me. It was spreading its wing and hopping around. It was right next to the road and as cars drove by it just sat there on the branch unamused, and it wasn't spooked at all by the cars or anything. I just thought this behavior was kinda strange. Shouldn't bird be scared of humans? Especially big cars?
edit on 7-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

Thanks for bringing this info!

Could you tell us a bit more about the number of birds "hopping" around?? I have had the occasional bird flying against the window and survive the crash. But usually after a couple of hours of sitting around they get it together and take off again. But these birds are still not able to fly days after the incident??

That would suggest that there is more going on than just trauma.

Peace

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Some video footage would be awfully handy!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Please keep us updated. Birds not being able to fly is extremely unsettling. Did you notice anything else? Are they still searching for food?

Are other animals in your area acting strangly?

Are the people there having any weird health symptoms? (besides being weirded by the bird deaths?)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Yes, animals are acting weird here.

Also, they are red winged black birds - and there are lots of them.

It's kind of late, so I'm tired - but I'll post more when I can

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Thank you so much for volunteering information from the first place this has occurred. Its always important to have as close to first hand information as you can when trying to figure out strange events like this.

I wonder if you could give some insight (after resting of course) if anything else odd has been happening. Have there been any earthquakes or tremors in the area? Is the local water supply under any special treatment order or have you noticed any changes in color or smell? Are there any local farmers or rural residents nearby complaining of foul smells or odd behavior in cattle or other livestock?

Sorry if I seem to be full of questions, but this is a mystery and as a scientist I can't help but want more information. I've been trying to think of some out of the box yet still conventional vectors for whatever is going on, but little is being given through the news or ATS without some degree of spin.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if they all had broken bones in their wings. From what I've read, it's thought that the dead ones all died of blunt trauma. It's very possible that a good number of birds survived whatever blunt trauma that may have been, but since bird bones are hollow, they are extremely fragile. For instance, hummingbirds are handled by their beaks, holding them any other way would cripple them.

I have had the occasional bird flying against the window and survive the crash. But usually after a couple of hours of sitting around they get it together and take off again. But these birds are still not able to fly days after the incident??

This is actually a concern in bird conservation. You should look into a method for preventing this from happening: web4.audubon.org...
edit on 8-1-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FluffChop
I hope it's not the "golf blue plague" killing the fish and birds.We still hear so little, if anything about this microbe BP is using to eat the oil...

If it was just in that region of the world, then I might suspect that, but it's to spread out to be that.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
The flightless behaviour is typically caused by neurological problems . I have worked with many rehabilated birds , these ones normally don't recover .

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

This is great to get actual reports from right there! Thankyou for posting this for us!
It really is disturbing to think these birds have lost the ability to fly.

Would you say that it is only these specific blackbirds that seem flightless, or are there other species showing this behavior?
Would you say that the majority of birds you see are carrying on this way, or just a small amount?

If it were a small amount, these could be the birds that actually survived the fall?

Thanks again for your report! S&F!

We would be grateful If you could keep us updated on this subject!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
BTW...
I am in Ireland, and we have not had any known die-offs here - yet.
Although I did notice the birds are acting really strange in comparison to their usual mellow way of being.
They really actually seem frantic in a way. Chirping madly, and flying all over the place in a way that looks panicked.

I can see this as a clear change in them, and No, I am not just jumping on the bandwagon of all this. There is
a notable change in what I see.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
thanks to the OP for posting. as stated, updates always welcome, especially from a source (origin) opinion. S&F for you. sad to hear the birds are not well. sure wish i could say otherwise.

here, in sw/coastal FL, birds are not readily available to observe. (as they are, normally). just this am sunrise 1/8, i sat out to observe and in 30min time, i saw 2 birds fly overhead, each flying alone but oddly enough, both were headed north? ... in January? now, i'm not sure which north (mag/tru) but from this location, GoM is due west and both were northbound.

i did hear some faint chirping in the distance but not like 'normal'. i haven't seen the volume/quantity i would consider normal but then again, i didn't really expect to given the oil disaster this spring. But what is odd beyond that is the lack of seagulls and pelicans. it seems as though their population was decimated not just damaged.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I will ask you same thing I asked you after your first post.

Did you sign up here just because of this bird die off? With the conflicting information coming out, how do we get lucky to have someone whos right there just want to come here and give us the low down..? and your term "ground zero"
is sort of.. over exaggerated?

regardless... IF, what you say is true.. it sounds like evolution,., and birds losing their ability to fly..

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
My local news is updating the mass deaths as the reports come in. Of course the channels meteorologist is offering his scientific explanation as to why this is happening. All BS of course. I didn't realize there were 150 tons of talapia dead in Vietnam, dead pelicans, starfish, and jellyfish in the Carolinas, and dead penguins in New Zealand. This gets weirder by the day.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Could it be from the new 4g wireless systems? I am not totally schooled on the difference between electronic waves but is there a difference with this new type of wireless communication that would make a difference? I am in Ohio where it is too cold to obseve any birds they dont come out untill it warms up.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Were they all red-winged black birds? The reason I ask is that the research I'm reading from Hinterland Who's Who and the USGA (links provided below) seems to indicate that the red-winged black birds are exclusively male. I'm no bird expert, but if all of the birds that dropped in Arkanses were red-winged, then not only is what happened to them species specific but also gender specific. From the links, it also says that the males (red-winged) migrate after the females.

So, I have been sifting through news articles and can't find any mention of this male/female distinction among the dead birds, just that they were red-winged which indicates that they were in fact all male. Did any female black birds die? Does anyone know?

I realize this wouldn't actually tell us much about the cause but it would be another piece to the puzzle...

www.hww.ca...
www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join