It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you've got red hair, you may be a Neanderthal.....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by squandered

Actually, the oldest bones ever found were in Israel just recently and aged to 400,000 years. Thats alot older than those ever found in Africa.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I believe I have some relatives who have red hair color. I believe I have related to Neanderthals now.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
reply to post by stupid girl

Thanks for the thread, but isn't hair and fur two different things? They're from different species...

Seriously? You're asking if hair and fur are two different things?
Seriously?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
This is stupid. End story here. The most tolerant and intelligent human I have ever known is a natural red-head, my lady, so peddle your eugenics somewhere else.

I didn't know we knew each other.
Eugenics?
I guess the picture of the deer gave me away, huh?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

That's why I said 'around Africa', but it doesn't disprove the theory since our DNA markers trace back to people living in Africa now. I'll put it down to the direction of migration routes rather the origin of man.

DNA markers don't factor in breeding patterns. It's hard to describe, but it's not as black / white as the science suggests.

edit on 6-1-2011 by squandered because: Every damn comment *not

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Why is it that it seems like scientists are jumping to the conclusion that the human trait for red hair is linked to an inherited trait from Neanderthals?

Are they?

Where did you hear this? Could you provide a link to a study or scientific article based on a study?

As I understand it, the gene for red hair in Neanderthals is different from MCR1, the gene on chromosome 16 that codes for red hair in modern humans.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Why is it that it seems like scientists are jumping to the conclusion that the human trait for red hair is linked to an inherited trait from Neanderthals?
Where did you hear this? Could you provide a link to a study or scientific article based on a study?
Thank you Astyanax for asking that question!

The article linked in the OP says:

researchers Carles Lalueza-Fox of the University of Barcelona, Spain and Holger Rompler of the University of Leipzig in Germany announced last week that Neanderthals, who died out 35,000 years ago, had the same distribution of hair and skin color as modern human European populations. By inference, that means that about 1 percent of Neanderthals must have been redheads, with pale skin and freckles.

The idea of Neanderthals with red hair and freckles is just plain charming. But it's also scary because it underscores the fact that Neanderthals were so much like us, and now they're gone.
So in other words, 1% of both Neanderthals and 1% of humans had/have red hair. It doesn't say there's any link that I noticed.

So it seems to me like if anyone is jumping to conclusions it's the opening poster, and not the scientists who simply said Neanderthals had about the same percentage of red haired folks as the human population. And it seems like the other posters before Astyanax didn't even notice the OP misinterpreted the article? C'mon folks, ATS can do better!
edit on 7-1-2011 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   

I thought the term was ginger kid and not neanderthal.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

I knew it....

That explains the Wierdo in the Post Office

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Alexandria the Great, King David, Jesus, King Henry 8th, Leonardo D'Vinci were among many well known leaders that were red heads. They were not stupid by any means.

Those with Auburn hair are also deemed red heads.

What !!!!...Jesus had red hair .....

nice one Jesus ....

edit on 7-1-2011 by xsheep because: spelling

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
OP, you have done good job of outlining a few fallacies in your argument, and that is about all.

I know little about genetics. I was told something that sounded all scientific once about how red hair has nothing to do with Neandertals, however i can not recall it. I am willing to bet that if you used some research instead of faulty logic you would put your mind at ease a little more.

Regardless, i believe that there are other localized groups that represent other interbreeding in the past. The only reason i really believe this is because it would make sense. Thing is...i am not making threads about it using my weak logic.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by squandered

Actually, the oldest bones ever found were in Israel just recently and aged to 400,000 years. Thats alot older than those ever found in Africa.

If you check, those would be the oldest bones discovered of modern humans. Our oldest forebear, Australopithecus afarensis, is 3.3 million years old, and definitely African.

Originally posted by starless and bible black
jewess chelsea handler stated that red hair bothered her because of the contrasts seen about the groin area.

Jewess? Do you have a point with that remark? If so, kindly elucidate. If you are afraid to, then kindly desist. This ain't that kind of site.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thank you for injecting some logic into thread, it's appreciated.

Even if it seems to be ignored in favor of a ridiculous argument.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
AFAIK it's been known for a while now that European & Asian populations (their ancestors) bred with Neanderthals and thus almost all people above North Africa (and some pacific islanders) are in part Neanderthal. I think it was Max Planck institute in Europe that sequenced Neanderthal genome and announced this..

original article
edit on 7-1-2011 by rhinoceros because: added sauce

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
At the LHC they were able to go back in time and finally see what Neanderthals from a different dimension looked like.

Here is actual footage from and interview on the journey back...

And eventually we found that this happened....

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by 25cents
I don't usually flame outright like this, but you are too stupid for words.

First of all, the article says nothing about the trait coming from Neanderthals, only that it was a trait that they shared with us. Second, your wild flailing about dogs and deer is one of the most uninformed things I've ever read. I realize you may have been attempting to ply humor, but I doubt you have the mental fortitude to accomplish such an advanced concept.

Please learn to read before posting this kind of mindless drivel again.

Your post made me LOL.
You're right, I am a very Stupid Girl.
Too stupid for words even.
You mean red haired people don't come from red haired dogs?
Is fur the same thing as hair?
Am I spelling all this right?
Please don't hesitate to let me know of any other ignorance of mine you'd like to point out.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stupid girl

Originally posted by impaired

Thanks for the thread, but isn't hair and fur two different things? They're from different species...

Seriously? You're asking if hair and fur are two different things?
Seriously?

No... I didn't ask that. You must be seeing things...

Hehe.

See? When I'm wrong I admit it! I'm not like many others on this site who have ego problems...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

A better question would be why does it bother you? It's just another interesting discovery in Human History? People with red hair are just like everyone else.

Really?
Not really.
Everyone else does Not have red hair.
But my x does!
Hmmmmmmm.
Makes sense now.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

Are they?

As I understand it, the gene for red hair in Neanderthals is different from MCR1, the gene on chromosome 16 that codes for red hair in modern humans.

You totally taught me something new today, and I sincerely mean that and am not saying it in a smarta$$y way like I usually would.

In all seriousness and with no tongue-in-cheek, my original post begs the same question you asked...."Does it seem like scientists are jumping to the conclusion that the human trait for red hair is linked to an inherited trait from neanderthals?"

This thread is based on a general question to my fellow ATSers in general:
"Does it seem like scientists are jumping to this conclusion?"
"Does anyone have any interesting information to share on this topic?"

Then, I included pictures that I felt would relate my tongue-in-cheek approach to this idea, along with a few comments of dry humor.

Then people started getting p*ssed off and posting A-hole comments.

Your post is actually one of the few that brings any legitimate participation in this thread and for that, I say thanks.

Seriously though people, lighten up.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join