It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shift of Earth's Magnetic North Pole Impacts Tampa Airport

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_slide
reply to post by Human_Alien

What are the global implications do you think? I don't mean to sound silly, but I'm in Australia, does that mean that the weather would become like canada or russia? SCARY

I am honored that you think I could even venture a guess but......sorry m'friend. I don't even know if this will effect my toilet bowl water.

I really really don't know what to think right now. I saw this headline and instantly posted it on here. I haven't even delved into the ramifications of it all.

But when I find anything (more?) out, I will certainly post. I wish I had a co-pilot to take over while I go-off line. Any volunteers? Guess I'll put it on auto-pilot.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Interesting that you mentioned people having trouble with compasses. I'm not sure how accurate the electronic compasses in smart phones are supposed to be. But my compass app on my Android phone has been telling me that true north is to the west. I tried recalibrating it several times even in front of witnesses at the office at it still does the same. For the record, it USED to accurately point to the north. This shift is somewhat recent behavior.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Terrormaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer
That's really funny. My compass is pointing straight north as usual.
Nothing amiss here. What a laugh.

No, It's pointing to magnetic north. That has been and is very different straight north on a map.

It might not be huge but its different.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
This is not a geographic relocation of the poles people, we are talking about the magnetic poles. Even if the magnetic north pole moved to South Africa, It does not put those located near the equator right now, any further away.

It would mess up current navigation for humans/instruments and animals like birds, though.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
I live in Tampa so I checked this story out.

The Federal Aviation Administration required the runway designation change to account for what a National Geographic News report described as a gradual shift of the Earth's magnetic pole at nearly 40 miles a year toward Russia because of magnetic changes in the core of the planet.

Link to full story

Apparently is is a slow and gradual shift. Interesting nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

(ETA The comments section is hilarious.)
edit on 5-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: added content

That's what I meant earlier. They are deliberately playing this down. And by now people, we KNOW not to trust them.
I get all my news on here. To me it's a smorgasbord of truth.

So if any ONE 'official' is saying one thing.....we'll have to wait for the trickle effect for truth because we're way too familiar with the ways they operate.

Will ANYONE have the moxie to "officially" consider the die-offs and this 'common' pole shift?
I bet even Ron Paul is under a gag order.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
When you put all the news together of the past several days, from millions of birds dropping out of the sky, to millions of fish kills worldwide, 500 earthquakes in Arkansas, rivers turning bright green in Canada, and in my area, telephones are out and have been for days. I'm delighted with your post because it really shows that officialdom will have to acknowledge this one - it just can't be covered up if they're having to redo runways. And flight disruption will surely continue.

Yet all in all, it's been a pretty nice pole shift, in that, nobody has died from it. Pole shifts have been heralded as a devastating planetary shift that would annihilate ALL LIFE ON EARTH, an extinction event.

And yet all is well for humans.... so far.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Good grief, fear monger much? The gradual geographic shift of the North Pole, a natural phenomenon that has been known for decades, is "breaking news"? This story is about the redesignation of an airport runway, not about a radical change of the poles.

Look up the term "magnetic declination".
edit on 5-1-2011 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by antoinemarionettePole shifts have been heralded as a devastating planetary shift that would annihilate ALL LIFE ON EARTH, an extinction event.

Ummm rapid geographic pole shifts, yes. That is not what is being discussed here.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

If I may, you also need to add the distinction between Magnetic North and True North. All of the navigation equipment and surveillance equipment accounts for the differences and provides correction through software. Even the systems themselves vary on what they are aligned to. I have worked on some radar systems that align to magnetic while others have aligned to True North.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sInSeattle

The way they are putting this out is almost like discussing the weather. Totally nonchalant.
Nothing to see here kids now......get on home!

Is Tampa an International Airport would you know?

How come it's effecting only one airport or....is only one airport talking about it?
What about Orlando? Is their compass okay? How is it that it effects only one spot? The entire Earth responds to the poles so....what's going on here?

I need to snoop around on the Internet and read more about this...but I can't seem to get off this site.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I'll deff S&F. I find this all very interesting. I don't think this explains the blunt trauma experienced by the birds in all of the massive kills, but this is definitely a sign that things are about to get very, very interesting.

link   
Here's the National Geographic article from 2005:

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Been happening for a long time, it's not just a sudden thing.

link   
reply to post by Terrormaster

When was this and how long has this been going on?
Where are you located?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Well if they are going to go this kind of trouble it must mean Florida is not going to sink into the gulf or Atlantic ocean.

Had to make a light comment because between the birds, and the strange death of Mr. Wheeler who they now have video of wandering around with one shoe off all discombobulated I feel sick.
I am back to having that strange feeling in my head. Never a good sign.

I was thinking that my cat was acting so strange a couple of days ago I was googling rabies and was concerned the shelter I got him from didn't give him his vaccination before adoption. Seriously. He was very erratic for about three days. He is fixed but it was such odd, strange behavior. Rolling around all over the ground, then running from us like he was terrified. He didn't come in for 3 days. The rolling was strange, he would kind of dive at the ground and roll, not the pet me roll. Then he would jump straight up and just dodge off wildly. I feared he would get hit by a car when my son and I tried to lure him in. I had a horrendous migraine during this time too.

Today I got failed out of a research study for pain. (I have a chronic condition) They brought the Doctor in and he said "I don't understand you are registering at the lowest levels - most people can't even feel this." He asked me why I thought this might be happening. I told him I don't know but I have been so much more sensative to everything as of late. (I thought but didn't say - if you only knew Doc) I feel like a human tuning fork or something. I attribute it to living on a big slab of spongy limestone here in Florida.

edit on 5-1-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrormaster
Interesting that you mentioned people having trouble with compasses. I'm not sure how accurate the electronic compasses in smart phones are supposed to be. But my compass app on my Android phone has been telling me that true north is to the west. I tried recalibrating it several times even in front of witnesses at the office at it still does the same. For the record, it USED to accurately point to the north. This shift is somewhat recent behavior.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Terrormaster because: (no reason given)

Ok - now that's interesting. lol We're house hunting currently and my husband has a Windows Phone, I have an iPhone. We went and toured house's on Sunday afternoon, and ended up having to use the guidance of Redfin's real estate app. Our navigation in our car wasnt picking up the address of a group of new construction houses, so he had to use the Redfin app on my iPhone for the map, and it went totally wonky on him unable to pick up north. We used it the weekend before with no issues. It asked him to recalibrate it, and after several tries of recalibrating (using a figure 8 movement) it picked back up. I'm also wondering how accurate smart phone compasses are now.

I actually asked him WTF he was doing when he was doing to figure 8 movement, because I've never had to recalibrate my phone before.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
www.solar-storm-warning.com...

this is really scary stuff.

i dont know what to make of all this fear mongering

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yeah we know Chad but have airports modified their runways to adjust to this 'happening for a long time occurrence' ever before?

If you're really comfortable with what you're sharing then, thanks. But if you are going to give us a false sense of security like the 'officials' are then, you're a total disservice to me, this thread and your fellow man!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

New research shows the pole moving at rapid clip—25 miles (40 kilometers) a year.

Over the past century the pole has moved 685 miles (1,100 kilometers) from Arctic Canada toward Siberia, says Joe Stoner, a paleomagnetist at Oregon State University.

At its current rate the pole could move to Siberia within the next half-century, Stoner said.

"It's moving really fast," he said. "We're seeing something that hasn't happened for at least 500 years."

Though it seems to have sped up dramatically..
It doesn't say when that started or if it was a gradual buildup..

But over a 100 years the average was around 11kms/year and now it's 40kms/year..
Quite a leap..

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Have you chosen to ignore the information offered forward by Weedwhacker?

I think he really provided some great insight, which only an active pilot would have.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I was like : "wha?! thats a baloney article"

then i searched

and sure enough

s&f thanks for catchin this

edit on 5-1-2011 by vermonster because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join