It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shift of Earth's Magnetic North Pole Impacts Tampa Airport

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
Man, I can only imagine what kind of denial has been displayed in this thread so far, and will continue to be displayed.

So many people have been "skeptical" (ie automatically and totally dismissing) of a pole shift for years that I think I'm going to have a hearty laugh session when we start to feel its effects hard.

And then of course they'll all be coming out of the woodwork saying, "Well we didn't have any evidence this was actually going to happen" or "I secretly knew it all along" or anything other than "Damn, I was wrong!"

I think you're making light of it now because I sense you'll definitely help out if need be.

Their skepticism is just a bi-product of their conditioning. It is what it is.

If things get wacky (as I sense it truly might then) I think a sense of brotherhood/kinship will evolve automatically.
Ever congregate with neighbors you've never met after a massive blackout, or hurricane or whatever? You remember how you all came together for the same cause or concern?
That's what's gonna happen (should things get hairy).

I don't know how I know this. I can't explain.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpsdasnake
reply to post by Human_Alien

did you just called him anal? now who's beeing "anal" now huh? -.-

What the h.............?

I didn't call anyone anal. I said I didn't have to be that anal.

Can we get on with this and stop posting personal questions just to me? That's what U2U is for.

This is a thread of interest.
And the 'science' if you will......is a work/study in progress.

We've had a good ebb and flow of information, levity and commiseration on this thread up until now.......so if you want to attack and dissect my posts then...I ask you respectfully to please go play on another thread because you will be ignored.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

sorry good guy...i think i didint read it right hahaha
i was just amazed how many stars you were getting by comparing my content to crop circles...thats all...
edit on 6/1/2011 by jpsdasnake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

i took out my compass,lol, im in north sweden.anyway it was all over the place and pointing mainly towards n.e. so i left it on the floor and it shifted and has remained pointing true north slightly west.according to the location of shift on the map posted here seems about rite.just figured id contribute to this post.oh! minus 2 degrees cel. here and snowing.usually colder at this time of year.wierd weather

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer
That's really funny. My compass is pointing straight north as usual.
Nothing amiss here. What a laugh.

There is no reason to believe your compass would point in any other direction. North is still North, its just in a different location.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I found a very interresting post on Nasa.gov,you guys should check it out:

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I grew up in one house and over the course of the years growing up, I had a few compasses.
I always knew what direction North was in the yard.
Recently I went back to that house and one of the kids had a compass playing with it.
I took it and looked and according to that compass, North had moved.
The best way I can describe it is that North used to be at 12 on a clock face, now it's at 10.
And I did go back later with another compass and checked again.
So "North" now is no longer where it was when I was a kid.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

The last couple of million years worth' of reversals. Each polarity interval, or 'chron', is named after either a famous palaeomagician (Brunhes, Matayama) or the location where it was first identified (Olduvai).

Source: scienceblogs.com...

Maybe we should name this one after ATS

edit on 6/1/2011 by jpsdasnake because: Fixed Broken Link

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
you Zeta's are strange....call your local army guard office and see if the declination angle has changed

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sabreblade
I grew up in one house and over the course of the years growing up, I had a few compasses.
I always knew what direction North was in the yard.
Recently I went back to that house and one of the kids had a compass playing with it.
I took it and looked and according to that compass, North had moved.
The best way I can describe it is that North used to be at 12 on a clock face, now it's at 10.
And I did go back later with another compass and checked again.
So "North" now is no longer where it was when I was a kid.

..............and to make matters worse there's no Pluto anymore either. Oh the humanity of it all

I'm still not understanding how this affected just one airport. I read someone's earlier post that stated other airports have 'allowed' for such an occurrence? How does that work I wonder? Are their runways on a mechanical conveyor belt and they just push a button to adjust, when needed?
edit on 6-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: grammar

edit on 6-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: I can't SPELL!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I think this is funny..

We've had a good ebb and flow of information, levity and commiseration on this thread up until now.......so if you want to attack and dissect my posts then...I ask you respectfully to please go play on another thread because you will be ignored.

Here is a little something that you may want to think about here. If you don't want your posts dissected then you may want to stop posting,because that is what members do at ATS. Might as well get used to it.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

Yeah. Thanks for that diagram.
There's no denying this hasn't happened before but.....why the complacency? To me it's like saying, Earth has been struck by meteorites for thousands of years, so what's one more?

The thing (this time) is, 6-million of us are currently using this planet as a home base. So the fact that this happened or has never happened is irreverent. Humans have been known to have spontaneously combusted before too. Doesn't make it any less scarier if it's about to happen to you in light of its prior debuts.
edit on 6-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: spelling

edit on 6-1-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
What a lot of people don't realise is that these shifts happen often (in earths history), the last one was about 700,000 years ago, and our ancestors survived. In fact there is no evidence that geomagnetic reversal has any effect on living creatures. Chances are the field will be weakend for a short period allowing more solar radiation through, but it's nothing a good sunblock won't cure, lol.
edit on 6/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

reply to post by ommadawn

i]reply to post by ommadawn

CONGRATULATIONS!

You are all awake, aware, know the difference between North and South - and can read maps too!

[My apologies - brain burp.]

edit on 6/1/11 by soficrow because: bbl

link   

thats true...im just posting what i consider to be scientifically relevant info.
Im' sorry about our discussions earlier.

link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h

I think this is funny..

Here is a little something that you may want to think about here. If you don't want your posts dissected then you may want to stop posting,because that is what members do at ATS. Might as well get used to it.

I mean...dissected to the point of looking for trouble. Of course our posts count and are up for grabs. I just rather people not look for issues in a character assassination attempt. That's all. But hey, thanks for thinking you taught me a lesson though.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpsdasnake

thats true...im just posting what i consider to be scientifically relevant info.
Im' sorry about our discussions earlier.

I've pardoned you so much I've been starring your posts. Now THAT'S forgiveness.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
What a lot of people don't realise is that these shifts happen often (in earths history), the last one was about 700,000 years ago, and our ancestors survived. In fact there is no evidence that geomagnetic reversal has any effect on living creatures. Chances are the field will be weakend for a short period allowing more solar radiation through, but it's nothing a good sunblock won't cure, lol.
edit on 6/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

Well there's little comfort in your statement. Thanks. I guess time will tell and that's all we have to go on. I wonder if the poles do shift, will we still be responsible for our mortgage/car payments? (that's how far in advance I'm thinking things out...)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

The thing (this time) is, 6-million of us are currently using this planet as a home base.

I think you need to do a little research before you post things like this, because you are way off as to how many of us are using this planet as home base. Just so you know there are 7 billion people on this planet not 6 million.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I think it's already been explained as a "non-event"....

I'm still not understanding how this affected just one airport. I read someone's earlier post that stated other airports have 'allowed' for such an occurrence.

Then, since you are still not understanding, I suggest you re-read the pertinent posts regarding the processes involved.

Pay particular heed to the fact that it affects only those runways that were aligned in the first place with "questionable" headings.....meaning, they were close to the MIDDLE of the ten-degree range, for choosing one or the other designation for them. It is just a convention for "naming" runways, as has been pointed out several times.

In fact, this entire thread could have been averted, and not even started, with just a bit of research beforehand...or by simply asking those who are knowledgeable about such things....like pilots, other aviation professionals. Heck the Air Traffic Controllers who work locally there know all these things!

What's more, the rest of it...."pole motion" or "wandering" is readily research-able too. No great surprises there, the science is solid. It IS fascinating for those who study the Earth, and its behaviors. the dynamics of what generates the magnetic field in the first place, and how it all ties together with other aspects.....AND the geological record of magnetic changes, in the VERY distant past, relative to our lifespans, and the history of our civilization. Not to mention, also, the scale of the actual rate of change....well.....on geological timescales, not Human scales of just years....nor even generations. Thousands and thousands of years, gradual enough for adaptation, which is something most species are capable of doing, has plenty of time to act, for the species' that are affected.

edit on 6 January 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join