It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School in patriotic storm after principal allows students to opt out of the Pledge of Allegiance

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

School in patriotic storm after principal allows students to opt out of the Pledge of Allegiance

www.dai lymail.co.uk

A school was at the centre of a patriotism row after the principal sent home permission slips allowing students to opt out of saying the Pledge of Allegiance.

The letter home sparked an outcry in Brookline, Massachusetts. Parents were asked to tick off whether or not they wanted their children to participate when the principal started reciting the pledge weekly over the school’s public address system.

‘It’s PC ridiculousness,’ said parent Sean Bielat. ‘Remember when the presumption was that we were all good Americans and we all loved the country and we had no problem saying,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Now this is likely going to stir some massive debate.

I will preface this first and foremost with an apology to any and all I might offend, by saying that I do not believe that myself or anyone, for that matter, should be FORCED to stand and pledge allegiance to a flag or country, and I do not feel that anyone should be condemned or punished for refusal to do so.

If my feelings on this offend any of our miltary crew or elsewise, please accept my apologies, I am merely being honest. I do love the states, but I think my allegiance extends beyond country and seperatism, into an allegiance toward global humankind and the earth itself. Silly, I am sure, to most.

Now that the above is stated clearly from my own end, I would like to get ATSers take on this controversial issue.

Should children be forced to stand and pledge allegiance? Or should a child have the option of sitting it out, should they or their parents so decide to do so? Was this principal out of line for sending these slips home?

Let's hear, pros and con...

www.dai lymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I think they should have to recite the pledge of allegiance, but what do I know?
Any moment the haters will show up and flame me but hey, it's how I feel.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
To me, this seems like the dissolution of a country's Identity , the merging of a global mind set.

It may be too soon if you ask me - they could at least wait until the beast is dead before carving out its meat.

This is incredibly disrespectful to Veteran parents who have risked their lives for that allegiance.

But then again, I'm Canadian, I was taught to love my country, respect my neighbors, love my planet and help as many as I can to find their own way.

Im a bit worried, the future is incredibly unknown. But I have faith that our humanity will achieve great things.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I think they should have the freedom to participate or not, but only after discussing the topic when they (partially) understand why or why not they participate.

I totally agree with you on your stance except the fact that I'm no american and do not have any love or hate for that symbolism

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I think they should have to recite the pledge of allegiance, but what do I know?
Any moment the haters will show up and flame me but hey, it's how I feel.

So anybody that disagrees with you is a "hater"?

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
To me, this seems like the dissolution of a country's Identity , the merging of a global mind set.

It may be too soon if you ask me - they could at least wait until the beast is dead before carving out its meat.

This is incredibly disrespectful to Veteran parents who have risked their lives for that allegiance.

But then again, I'm Canadian, I was taught to love my country, respect my neighbors, love my planet and help as many as I can to find their own way.

Im a bit worried, the future is incredibly unknown. But I have faith that our humanity will achieve great things.

So a person exercising their free speech rights by not reciting the pledge, somehow is disrespectful to those who have fought and died defending that freedom?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Noone should be forced to say the pledge of allegiance. That's just crazy to think that someone is wrong for not wanting to say it. It doesn't make someone a bad person.
Its not a disgrace to any veterans. Hell, I am technically a veteran myself, and I would be ashamed if I fought for people to be forced into pledging their allegiance. Freedom of speech.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

So a person exercising their free speech rights by not reciting the pledge, somehow is disrespectful to those who have fought and died defending that freedom?

What am I your daddy? Yes - In my experience - A veteran would find that very disrespectful.

But lets be honest, I'll never do it. Surely though we can have compassion for those who are upset.
edit on 26-12-2010 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
It's really seems quite silly to send home permission slips in the first place. Having the parent sign the slip and tick off a "yes" means that the child will be forced to say the Pledge of Allegiance, which is a violation of their rights.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I refused to say the pledge my last two years of high school. I was threatened with punishment, but never actually punished. Social ostracism was the main punishment. I stopped reciting the pledge once I realized that my mythical beliefs about my nation were untrue. Why should I pledge support for an illegitimate government that commits crimes on such an incomprehensible scale? I believe the same now as I did then. Only now in retrospect the full depth of the indoctrination of public school systems has set. This is just one example of how minds are molded, and people are brainwashed. Look into the history of our pledge, and our public school system as a whole
The History of the Pledge
Decschooling Society and Education

Education is Ignorance
The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
No, you should not have to recite the pledge. However, if you don't believe in the Pledge of Allegiance then why do you live in America?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   

What am I your daddy? Yes - In my experience - A veteran would find that very disrespectful.

But lets be honest, I'll never do it. Surely though we can have compassion for those who are upset.

I have no idea what you mean by the "daddy" statement. If by asking a question that somehow entitles you to be condescending then I guess that is your right to make yourself seem foolish. If one is offended as a veteran, you missed the whole whole point of being a veteran. Defending the constitution, even the parts that might "offend" you.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
When I was in elementary school it was not a big deal at all if kids did not want to recite the pledge. We were required to stand up for the duration of it. Holding your hand over your heart and speaking was optional.

Personally I usually omitted the verse "under god". Or sometimes I would say Underdog

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

If you don't believe a mind control technique you should leave the country? I am financially unable to leave this country, but even if I was why should I leave because my government has become tyrannical. What I wonder is why people who support our government are supporting tyranny instead of our founding principles?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
No, you should not have to recite the pledge. However, if you don't believe in the Pledge of Allegiance then why do you live in America?

Eventually you have to pick a country and settle down in it. There are going to be problems with all of them. Just because you live somewhere does not mean you have to accept all of their ideals and pledge allegiance to the government.
I am probably the biggest hypocrite on here though. I wouldnt say the pledge of allegiance, and Im serving in the military. Crazy huh? I really believe it is your choice.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Of course children shouldn't be forced to say the pledge. It's FREEDOM. They should have the FREEDOM to choose.

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
I think they should have to recite the pledge of allegiance...

I'm not going to flame you. I fee sorry for you. People SAY they want to live in a free society, but they only want the freedoms that THEY approve of and agree with. If you want to force kids to say the pledge, you don't REALLY want a free society.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Have always thought it an example of humanity still being primitive... It keeps humanity divided and prevents humanity from growing up to its full potential..

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamwatcher

I have no idea what you mean by the "daddy" statement. If by asking a question that somehow entitles you to be condescending then I guess that is your right to make yourself seem foolish. If one is offended as a veteran, you missed the whole whole point of being a veteran. Defending the constitution, even the parts that might "offend" you.

A grown man would project his firm opinion instead of implying that someone else's opinion is somehow lacking integrity. I'm calling you out to state your view as opposed to that passive aggressive forum filler.

I'm not a veteran, I'm a patriot - When the war comes to my home, I will be here to fight. The veterans I know personally would slap a man who says this is his country, while opting out of the respect for that country.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

Mind control techniques? Are you kidding? I served in the military and I love my country and pledge my allegiance daily. I love my country, not my government. If you don't love the country and are unwilling to pledge your allegiance, the become an expat and renounce your citizenship. You can then apply for political asylum to what ever country you want and they will work with you to help you integrate into their society providing they approve your request for asylum.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I find the whole idea of having to recite a pledge of allegiance at school very scary. I hadn't actually heard of this before, but after a quick google, I see this is done every day. The majority of those children can't possibly know the implications or greater meaning of what they are saying. It comes across as brain-washing to me, almost like the tactics of a cult. No surprises though, fits in perfectly with the whole schooling systems philosophy of destroying the individual in order to create workers for society.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join