It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch scientist wants bugs added to Western diets

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Dutch scientist wants bugs added to Western diets

www.news.com.au

THE world's food crisis could be eased if Westerners included insects in their diets to make up some of their protein needs.

Dutch scientist Arnold Van Huis, a professor of entomology at Wageningen University, said bugs are nutritious and full of goodness, and added that if people in the West could override their culturally-indoctrinated sense of disgust, the environment would benefit.

Prof Van Huis said a population explosion and rising living standards caused a "meat crisis" Sky News reported.

"Twenty years ago, people ate just 20 kilograms of meat, now it is 50 kilograms. In 20
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
well this is interesting and funny ! LOL
Lets eat bugs because we are over populated, they do taste good apparently. Well, all i have to say is no. The people that eat bugs in asia are usually poor, so basically I see this as a the poor should eat bugs and the rich can enjoy meat. Absolute rubbish.

www.news.com.au

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Deep fried locusts?

I'm going to stick with steak.

But honestly, I want to know how this works out for people. In video form.

I'd like to see this Scientist take the first bite.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I wonder if you soak a big old scorpion in a nice brine for a while if it'd taste like a lobster...same type of creature xD

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
I wonder if you soak a big old scorpion in a nice brine for a while if it'd taste like a lobster...same type of creature xD

my thoughts exactly! I eat crab legs, and aren't those really just giant sea spiders?

maybe they do taste similar, but I like my meat plentiful so lets find a way to breed a bigger bug for eatin'. That's the western way.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
imagine walking into a restaurant ordering some steamed vegetables and gravy with a side of well done cock roaches...all i can think of is that scene in indiana jones where they eat the bugs

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

The only bug I'm gonna eat is that worm at the bottom of a jug of mescal. Muy macho!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

Here is an idea... Lets use our farm land to its fullest extent, and make food free. We could feed the world and stupid ass claims like this can be filed in the trash where it belongs.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I actually agree with this, I could handle eating some fried locust.
Don't see why everyone is so disgusted with bugs but are nuts for those dirty ass chickens who spend their lives covered in their own feces in these farms.
edit on 25-12-2010 by Segador because: lol yes, same time post.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I would like to feed this dutch scientist a few handfuls of live bees, hornets, and yellow jackets. Yummy protein.

This scientist is an idiot..

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a nice side order to dung beatles must be good for you LOL

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Eh ? Food crisis in western countries ? Then why are alot of the western tourists Ive seen fat ?

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
i thought insects were already in our foods.....

well.blogs.nytimes.com...

www.sixwise.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

well this is interesting and funny ! LOL
Lets eat bugs because we are over populated, they do taste good apparently. Well, all i have to say is no. The people that eat bugs in asia are usually poor, so basically I see this as a the poor should eat bugs and the rich can enjoy meat. Absolute rubbish.

www.news.com.au
I'm sure I've heard that sentiment before somewhere. Oh yeah,

"Let them eat cake."

As I remember, that didn't work out too well... Hey ho. Sling another slab of dead flesh on the barbie. What does it matter that a lot of the dead flesh produced for your consumption just ends up thrown away b/c you dont buy it before it goes off? Who cares that the same land acreage needed to produce that wasted flesh could produce far more calories of food, that can also be stored, if that land was used to grow plants for human consumption? Hey, who even cares that the longest lived population on earth are traditional Okinawans & that their vegetarian diet is supplemented by only a very small amount of seafood?

Bugger it, mate. Crack another tinnie & lets all raise a toast:

"Let them eat bugs... for the sake of Old Langsyne!"

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Well that scientist can take a flying leap in a rolling donut and land in a big pile of bug poo for all I care ,but this is the Bloodlines, Rothchidls and their satanic gnostic evil beliefs, whereas the truth is, we have ample space, advanced growing methods, advanced zero point energy as well as other clean methods, FREE ENERGY, WE DON"T NEED BANKS, advanced homes, and eco homes too, advanced science, and technology and health care already. They can clone the muscle group without creating a brain already, they just don't want to give us that, they can DOWNLOAD knowledge and schooling but don't want to give us that, they can solve every disease and purify the contaminants in the air, water, soil, they don't want to give us that.

in short THEY are our problem. Let them eat all the bugs they want.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by q_ball

Here is an idea... Lets use our farm land to its fullest extent, and make food free. We could feed the world and stupid ass claims like this can be filed in the trash where it belongs.

Exactly, abolish banks and insure we all have our own land and farms. I would be establising underground greenhouses and growign exotic things like coconut trees and we could stop working on doing advanced dna work to destroy the food value and instead work at creating vines that can grow them. Can you imagine picking uber nutritious coconuts off a grapevine? Instead of needing a 3 story greenhouse to accomodate their height. Im in Canada and want to grow all my own food types and preferences. For free. Just because.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Yum,. bugs are so delicious,......not
In a pinch ,yeah ... till then I will stick to my usual

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Don't take this the wrong way, but that is an outdated hippy idea.

If you are going to grow food for so many people on farmland, you still have to transport it into cities. For that you need trucks, trucks are built from metal etc and need petrol. With a growing world population and with big cities growing even bigger the solution is technology - otherwise this self-destructive cycle will never end! I've learned that mr. Einstein said: ''Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.''

Vertical indoor farms. Roof farms. Self-sustaining apartment complexes.

The technology is there, but the people are divided. The door is open but we are still struggling with the key.

Maybe in a hundred years. When people are not busy picking one of two parties or deciding what to choose for coffee from a list of 300 different cups. Really. The issue is not miss-use of our farmland it is miss-use of our brain. The technology, money, know-how is all there to solve ALL basic problems that threaten people into a defensive attitude and mindset, yet, for some reason, we decide to act blind.

Edit:

Also, there is a point to this whole bug eating thing. Pound for pound they are more protein than steak and take way less effort and resources to produce. Of course, Americans love their steak and Europeans are wannabee Americans so yeh...one plus one equals two. Feed the greedy, starve the hungry seems to be the motto of the blind.
edit on 25-12-2010 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2010 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2010 by Zamini because: lots of typos

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

Actually, any form of money to those aware, is slavery. I don;t support slavery or crimes against humanity. I'm stuck in an obscene violent, abusive, torturous murderous traumatic slave system without enough people waking up to take it back adn their natural rights the resources from this tiny percentage of abusive wolves, that really really are out to harm us, because its not about the money, they have it all, its about them hurting us. Thats their thing.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Let them eat bugs ...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join