It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch scientist wants bugs added to Western diets

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Exactly, abolish banks and insure we all have our own land and farms.

Exactly how were you planning on doing these things? Own land and farms? It might work now or the next 200 years if one could even get this to work but then what? A shortage of land will become the cause for more wars with future generations being thrown into a destructive cycle,,,once again.

Instead of naming ourselves unity we should try our very best to create unity. We do that by removing ignorance from our heads. Technology, the double edged blade...of which we've, until now, found ourselves only on the bloodied side that cuts the flesh.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Coming Soon!!!!

Creature Corral..

This place will have everything, every bug imaginable. All you can eat for the low low low prices of $19.99.
But wait, there is more. When you come now we will give our 1st 300 customers a free drink, blended roaches and ants with a hint of chocolate and a minty flavor.

Bring the family for some Good ol home cooked bugs. I am sure you will be talking about it for years to come.

On a serious note:
I heard Canadians eat bugs eh?

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Bugs are extremely healthy for you...Well when compared to the typical American diet. A large #1 from McDonalds

So maybe we should follow his advice. Who knows, maybe we won't be labeled the fattest country in the world after.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

They like to pretend they have problems in order to create synthetic sympathy for themselves. Food shortages in the West means a supermarket that is out of your favourite brand of boxed or canned food.

Edit:

When it takes a SCIENTIST in one of the most prosperous nations on the globe to figure this out it would come as no surprise when I say the world is in peril. 'Can I get my bugs biological? I don't like the ones sprayed with hormones'. 'Also, my bugs need to be grown kosher' 'Are these bugs fat-free? How much calories does one have, I need to watch my carb diet'...

edit on 25-12-2010 by Zamini because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Nothing at all wrong with eating bugs. It is just bias and ignorance that stops westerners from indulging.
When I am hiking and camping, I can go for days eating nothing but bugs, and you know what? they are tasty and nutritious, its true. You just have to know where to look to find the nests so you can grab a big handful.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

You are on a whole different level to the rest of us, there is no criminal elite who exist specifically to harm us. Business just works like a pyramid under the system we live under. Doesn't mean there's an evil illuminati out there.

Our society is built on human instinct, human behavioural patterns cause what's happening, not evil sadist types.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Honey - we're having bugs for dinner!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Eating bugs is extremely good for you.

I've competed in sports on a professional level and I can tell you that eating bugs can give you incredible strength gains.

Never mind worrying whether someone's cycling steroids or horse meat. I know a few people who swallow their bugs and they're monsters. Very lean protein.

Never mind a food shortage yadda yadda, if you eat bugs you will get benefits from it.

Yes I was afraid the first time i chewed on some beetles

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by q_ball

The only bug I'm gonna eat is that worm at the bottom of a jug of mescal. Muy macho!

Heh heh heh,

Been there, done that. I have pictures otherwise I wouldnt have known, dont remember SH!t

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by q_ball

Here is an idea... Lets use our farm land to its fullest extent, and make food free. We could feed the world and stupid ass claims like this can be filed in the trash where it belongs.

Exactly, abolish banks and insure we all have our own land and farms. I would be establising underground greenhouses and growign exotic things like coconut trees and we could stop working on doing advanced dna work to destroy the food value and instead work at creating vines that can grow them. Can you imagine picking uber nutritious coconuts off a grapevine? Instead of needing a 3 story greenhouse to accomodate their height. Im in Canada and want to grow all my own food types and preferences. For free. Just because.

Why do you need to abolish banks to do these things? You could utilize these banks to get the money needed. Farms are subsidized like mad.

You mention about banning or stopping DNA research so you can do what? Grow genetically modified vine-coconuts? I'm baffled at the moral logic there.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
"Dude, Don't Bogart That Roach!"

I can't decide which is more amusing:

1. The idea that promoting the consumption of insects would benefit the environment, or

2. The idea that the solution to overpopulation is more food.

edit on 12/25/2010 by Majic because: Because, like Dude...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

F.D.A.’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition establishes acceptable levels of such “defects” for a range of foods products, from allspice to peanut butter.

Among the booklet’s list of allowable defects are “insect filth,” “rodent filth” (both hair and excreta pellets), “mold,” “insects,” “mammalian excreta,” “rot,” “insects and larvae” (which is to say, maggots), “insects and mites,” “insects and insect eggs,” “drosophila fly,” “sand and grit,” “parasites,” “mildew” and “foreign matter” (which includes “objectionable” items like “sticks, stones, burlap bagging, cigarette butts, etc.”).

Tomato juice, for example, may average “10 or more fly eggs per 100 grams [the equivalent of a small juice glass] or five or more fly eggs and one or more maggots.” Tomato paste and other pizza sauces are allowed a denser infestation — 30 or more fly eggs per 100 grams or 15 or more fly eggs and one or more maggots per 100 grams

Canned mushrooms may have “over 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid” or “five or more maggots two millimeters or longer per 100 grams of drained mushrooms and proportionate liquid” or an “average of 75 mites”

The sauerkraut on your hot dog may average up to 50 thrips. And when washing down those tiny, slender, winged bugs with a sip of beer, you might consider that just 10 grams of hops could have as many as 2,500 plant lice

In case you’re curious: you’re probably ingesting one to two pounds of flies, maggots and mites each year without knowing it

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
"Dude, Don't Bogart That Roach!"

I can't decide which is more amusing:

1. The idea that promoting the consumption of insects would benefit the environment, or

2. The idea that the solution to overpopulation is more food.

edit on 12/25/2010 by Majic because: Because, like Dude...

Way to counter the points of the article and the points of the main proponents of this idea.

I see that ATS is top notch at debunking silly things.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by q_ball

Here is an idea... Lets use our farm land to its fullest extent, and make food free. We could feed the world and stupid ass claims like this can be filed in the trash where it belongs.

Wouldn't that just fuel population growth again, till we have to give up more to feed the higher population yet again ?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
How does it make sense to say that because there are too many people, we should start eating insects?
Surely the logical answer would be to start eating people?

A few slices of Sharkness for entree.
Brothchilds make a yummy soup course.
What's good for the goose is Vanerbilled gander.
Guggenlime pie and Mellon cubes for a rich desert.
And I hear Rockeroadfellers are quite sweet.

Between meals, there's always Morgum to chew on.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Zamini

I am not taking offense so its cool. My point was the breadbaskets around the world have the potential to feed the world. Here in the states we actually have paid farmers to not use their farmland to keep prices in check. If we grew food to the extent that is allowed, we could literally feed the world with no problems and then some.

I know the going from point A to point Z requires money and what not. I am pointing out that while bugs and what not can be a source of protein, we are approaching the problem from the wrong angle. We should find ways to feed the world to the extent that having to eat a bug is done just because, and not because its required or they will starve.

We can send people into space, but we cant get food to those who really need it in parts of the world.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Not bad, i mean if you knew you were going to be served insects for dinner, you'd be too turned off to eat for a while, result = less eating, more food for later

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Uuuuh, nnnnno. Sorry, but that's not gonna happen. I hate bugs in general, and I'd rather commit harakiri than eat one save for during survival training in the military.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I don't really see the problem. I've eaten stir friend locusts before and they aren't bad at all. A little crunchy but not actually disgusting. As far as I remember they didn't really taste of anything at all

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
"I'll give up my steak when they peel my fat, greasy fingers from around it!".

edit on 26/12/10 by Navieko because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join