It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smokers Need Not Apply

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

Star to you dawnstar!

Trying to debate the narrow mind of G-D-N-E is essentially worthless.

G-D-N-E; You operate a vehicle, do you not? Did you know that driving a vehicle on the nations highways are the cause of more deadly accidents than any other form of transportion? You are a risk to the health and well-being of myself, family and friends if you drive.

If you do drive, how about you give up your driving privileges and I'll give up my cigarettes. Seems like a fair deal.

edit on 26/12/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Originally posted by GodDoesNotExist

If you want a less harmful alternative, vaporize weed, like me

No thanks, I prefer smoking it with buddies and having a good time the old fashion way.

Excellent reply to G-D-N-E on this entire post! Star!

I just singled this particular one out because I knew something was affecting him mentally by the irrelevance of his posts and inability to conduct any communication that made any indication of any intelligence.

Thank you for bringing it to light.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The insults stop now

Even the thinly veiled ones..

Any further such incidents and warnings or other more severe actions will ensue..

Semper

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I am a small business owner, and a confirmed agnostic. I would prefer not to hire religious people, regardless of their affiliation, but doing so would be discrimination, and is against the law.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:46 AM
link   
That's pretty disgusting really, i mean what if there was a person really good at there job, in that field, and then there's some one who doesnt know what they're doing, so you would hire the stupid one and leave the smart one behind because he is a smoker?

Smoking is a personal choice, it's like food, no one can tell you what to eat and what not to eat.

Except for people, don't eat people

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFlash

oh, I agree, it isn't discrimination. I'll call it for what it is...

SCAPEGOATING!!!

There was way more smokers in the US when I was growing up than there are now. According to what the health experts say, we didn't eat as healthy either...
I didn't know of anyone as a kid that used an inhaler to breath, and there weren't as many obese people in the world either. wonder why that is?? I mean, go to any school and take a look in the nurse's medicine chest, but be prepared to be shocked!!! I know I was when I got a glance into one! Why do we have so many asthmatic kids if it's the smokers that is causing the asthma, only there are less smokers year after year..while more asthmatics year after year??? same goes for obesity...add, and on and on....oh ya, it's our diet, it's our habits...

oh, really, it seems like the more we clean up our habits, the more we try to eat healthy, the more unhealthy we become!!!! Margarine has replaced butter as the healthy alternative, corn oil have replaced lard. Skinless chicken, sugar substitutes, fake eggs.....and yet....the people just keep getting biigger, unhealthier!!!

Obviously, it isn't the way we eat, it isn't the bad habits, that are the core source of the problem!! That person smoking next to you is just a small itty bitty part of a much bigger problem, not really worthy of much attention, definately not worthy of the amount of attention some are giving them!! But, it's easier to blame a small group of people than it to face the truth!! That our technology has taken a wrong turn and we've allowed it to introduce, to inaudate us, with a ton of unhealthy chemicals that are everywhere, in our water, in our soil, and more importantly, in the products that we just love to buy!!! Yes, technology has made those products less expensive, more effective, ect.....but...well, they are poisoning us...
and that, most people just don't want to face, they love their consumeristic ways! It's just easier to scapegoat!!!

I don't mind if hospitals and medical clinics restrict smoking on their property, or hire just non-smokers, at least they have relatively clean air to preserve, and many of the sick that they take care of will become sicker breathing in the crap!! But when it comes to banning the smokers from the print shops, from the plastic factories, from the machine shops, from eastman kodak...or wait a minute....that one didn't fly did it...they decided they would all be safer if they kept their smokers inside!!!! where they had properly ventilated areas for smoking...lest half of rochester go BOOM!!!
well, I am sorry...but well, there is no clean air inside these places to preserve!! Those working in these places are exposing themselves...many times they know they are....to all kinds of nasty stuff that will cause kidney and liver disease, heavy metal poisoning, brain tumors, pancreatic cancers, and the list goes on and on.....
just so you can have your precious products that you love so much, and they can have a roof over their head and food on the table for their families! Ya, some of them smoke cigarettes, why the heck not!! they've maxed out the "safe levels" of exposure to these chemicals a long time ago just doing their job..producing the products you all love to buy!!! Give us the clean air!!! Then maybe we will worry about preserving it!! But, it's insane to buy the products they "kill" themselves to produce then gripe about that little bit of smoke that may drift your way from the end of their cigarette whining because it's gonna kill you!! why aren't you griping at the many drivers that have just passed by you on the highway that are throwing a ton more toxins into the air.....if that little bit of smoke off the cig is killing you...what in the world do you think the exhaust from those cars are doing!!!

IT IS SCAPEGOATING!!
and scapegoating usually doesn't do much to fix real problems!!

edit on 27-12-2010 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I have a auto immune disorder call Sarcoidosis.
I do not have the pulmonary form of Sarcoidosis because i am a smoker.

90% of people with sarcoidosis have the pulmonary form of Sarcoidosis very few are smokers.
Of the 10% that do not have the pulmonary form of Sarcoidosis you find most of the smokers.

They are even doing a clinical trial using Nicotine Patches on people with pulmonary Sarcoidosis.
www.bioportfolio.com...
I am cutting way back on smoking and am now using a e-cigarette to get my Nicotine.

By the way one of the groups that is high risk for Sarcoidosis is working in the medical field,
one study in the UK found that nurses had 7.5 times higher rate of Sarcoidosis then the general population
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

It also has higher rates among EMTs and firefighters.both go on many medical runs. I am a ex firefighter/EMT.
A large number of the 911 workers now have Sarcoidosis.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Just to clarify a few things I am against public smoking in hospitals and health clinics due to the principle of the matter but pro-smoking in all other places. Nicotine causes the addiction issue with smoking cigarretes but tar causes the real health issues. As far as I can tell the anti-smoking campaign has been grossly exaggerating the risks to the point of banning cigarrete smoking everywhere, where 20 to 30 years ago you could at least smoke at pubs and restaurants that had smoke ventilliation systems installed. It makes no real sense and indeed serves as a convienent scapegoat for a dysfunctional society.

People who were pre-disposed to various ailments end up blaming alcohol, cigarattes, narcotics, etc. Granted these crutches may worsten your condition, if regularly abused, but in no way are they directly responsible for your problems. We need to call a spade a spade and a club a club! I am sick of the hypocrisy and undue prejudice. Today its smoking, tomorrow who knows what it will be?

I apologise to any person I may have offended and in no way did I intend to make things personal. Its a community issue that should have been addressed properly from the beginning rather than calling each other names which is silly and pointless.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
My blatant flaming was uncalled for, yes, but I still COMPLETELY disagree with people who believe they should be allowed to smoke cigarettes wherever they please.

If I smell your cigarette, this means it is not being properly "ventilated" away from me.

Why is it not being properly "ventilated" away from me? Because there's no such thing as a smoke ventilation system. Smoke is a gas, and as such, it naturally occupies all the available space within its "confinement" (in a restaurant's case, it's the restaurant itself) and a smoker isn't going to consent to sitting in front of a fan sucking all of the noxious fumes away from them.

This happens even in smoke-free restaurants, when the doors are opened and a bit of the smoke is let in through them. The smoke comes in, disgusts me, as well as damaging my lungs, and for what? Someone to get a nicotine high?

If I can live without ever trying it, you can live without it until you get home.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

I can't help but guffaw at this...

This to me sounds like a downright invasion of privacy, personally. Yeah, people would LOVE to save money, it's greed, a seemingly horrid part of being human, but lets step in your shoes, how would YOU feel if you were told you weren't eligible for something based on something you partake in? Of course your probably going to reply with an "I'd be just fine with that!", in which case, you're a damn liar.

I remember being able to sit at smoking sections in a restaurant, not so much anymore, we've only 2 small truck stops that allow smoking in our town out of all the diners/restaurant mixes...sure we bitched about it, but we moved on...then to make matters a bit worse, in some states, such as Illinois, you can't smoke within 10 feet or so from the door...

Anywho, nicotine use has been shown to increase blood flow, encourage the growth of new blood vessels, helps with depression, and it's also been shown to fight against Alzheimer's, and the scientific community are excited because nicotine may be able to help the fights against diabetes, adhd, parkinsons, tourettes, etc...

Somebody earlier in the post had said "Smoking killed my Grandpa, and he never smoked", there are a couple of possibilities behind this...1. He was very unlucky, in that even though 1 cloud of smoke has an almost non existent chance of causing some type of cancer he still got it... 2. Something else took his life, and they blamed it on smoking because it was the easiest way out

Do you guys remember that commercial years ago, the 2 kids were smoking weed and one pulls a gun out and shoots himself and they blamed the pot? (The commercial is also in Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle)...the weed didn't kill the kid....his stupidity killed him. The same thing can be applied to smoking. I am willing to lay down money on this scenario, Lets say...John Doe has lung cancer, he's a non-smoker, gets into a car wreck and dies, some anti-smoking campaign reads about it, starts screaming Tobacco killed him, even though the car wreck was the real culprit...My Grandfather died, he was an alcoholic, had liver/kidney problems, they blamed his death on renal failure due to alcoholism, he died from a fatty embolism when they amputated his leg, aiming to avoid crush syndrome due to a building collapse.
edit on 28-12-2010 by abaraikenshi because: Adding suave to my argument?

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join