It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 68
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
2.6-Magnitude Earthquake Confirmed in Youngstown
www.wytv.com...

SMR

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Magnitude 5.5
Date-Time

* Friday, March 18, 2011 at 03:23:56 UTC
* Friday, March 18, 2011 at 01:23:56 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 37.771°N, 143.502°E
Depth 19 km (11.8 miles)
Region OFF THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Distances 235 km (146 miles) ESE of Sendai, Honshu, Japan
245 km (152 miles) ENE of Iwaki, Honshu, Japan
267 km (165 miles) E of Fukushima, Honshu, Japan
406 km (252 miles) NE of TOKYO, Japan

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Right smack dab in the centre of Lake Taupo (caldera) between Karangahape Cliffs on the SW shore and the town of Taupo in the NE corner, deepish
4.565ML, 3480186, -38.77841, 175.91418, 2011/3/17 19:22:36, 122km, Not Felt

graph
www.geonet.org.nz...

not showing on the Taupo last 3 months map yet though
www.geonet.org.nz...

there was also a 2.1 a bit further north at Wairakei, at the Craters of the Moon geothermal area, very shallow
2.139, 3480281, -38.62264, 176.05853, 2011/3/17 23:23:41, 1, Not Felt
Craters of the Moon
edit on 18-3-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

here it is on the deep quakes for Waikato, theres a little red one under it to the right, which was a 2.9ML on the 10th March UTC, 99km deep
images.geonet.org.nz...

A forboding perhaps, when was that big quake prediction again, 19th-20th
was that UTC ?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Hmm... West coast is now waking up it seems. I would rather it doesn't with all the hub bub of the ring of fire threads.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Well I don't know if this helps anyone or not but I have just spent some time doing cumulative graphs (the ones I often display here) for every area I can think off.

This is done by name so things like Alaska, Kamchatka, Oregon, Washington, Arkansas, Greece, Crete, Ionian, Iran etc Anyway, a very long list!

With the exceptions of Japan and Arkansas every single region input is rock steady with no sudden twists in the cumulative.

I lost count but it was over 60 graphs so i won't upload them!!!!!

Basically what I am saying is that despite what the popular theory may be, all is pretty much normal except those two areas.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
4.6 Alaska right now?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

You have been busy! Thanks for doing that. It shoud put some minds at ease.
I think your idea of separate web pages per country is a great idea. If I knew anything about it I'd offer my help. Perhaps you could eventually put these plots up on there for areas of concern?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Just a little one out in my part of the world.

SOUTHERN NORTH SEA
March 17, 2011
Time: 21:47:21.5
Lat./Lon.: 52.259 3.174
National Grid: 753.0 km E, 275.0 km N
Depth: 16.1
Magnitude: 2.2
100KM ESE LOWESTOFT

www.earthquakes.bgs.ac.uk...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
MAP 6.5 2011/03/10 17:08:37 -6.862 116.765 508.1 BALI SEA

is this normal or unrest?

Don't know if this indicates that the pacific plate is still moving but last I looked there was indication that it was moving south... And now this earthquake 6.2.. Would say that some stress did build up over there.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Wolfcomplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

You might need to re-post this every few posts - the forum seems to have been going NUTS with people repeatedly posting threads over every little EQ.

Even our news just this morning (or last night) said 'This is a story just breaking - there has been a 5.3 in Chile - no reports of casualties' Really? Breaking? 5.3?

Tearing.my.hair.out.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by whoshotJR

Well I don't know if this helps anyone or not but I have just spent some time doing cumulative graphs (the ones I often display here) for every area I can think off.

This is done by name so things like Alaska, Kamchatka, Oregon, Washington, Arkansas, Greece, Crete, Ionian, Iran etc Anyway, a very long list!

With the exceptions of Japan and Arkansas every single region input is rock steady with no sudden twists in the cumulative.

I lost count but it was over 60 graphs so i won't upload them!!!!!

Basically what I am saying is that despite what the popular theory may be, all is pretty much normal except those two areas.

Not feeling too normal here, Puterman

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

My sincere apologies, New Zealand is of course another exclusion. Because the data that I get from GeoNet does not have locations I am not able to run a cumulative yet so I did not do that one, but yes that should be an exclusion as well.

Edit to add: The graph below shows the current activity in NZ in the eyes, in effect, of the USGS. It is quite obvious that this is not the case.

I am going to re-write that part of my program so I can use a different parameter to get a correct graph.

I have managed to extract one using Latitude and Longitude however I cannot guarantee the accuracy as there are overlaps. I offer them as is. Also these are only from 1st Jan this year.

North Island

South Island

Bear in mind also that these are only earthquake numbers. Another change to the program is going to have to be cumulative energy release.

edit on 18/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfcomplex

Above average. The 'normal' magnitudes are around 4 to 5.

The problem is that you will never see anything lower than 4 on USGS for that area so you have no idea what else might be happening. Having said that it is possibly very slightly over the normal but not by much.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I know you all dont like posting small quakes but this is in an unusual place isnt it?

OHIO
Magnitude 2.6 M
Date-Time

* 17 Mar 2011 10:53:09 UTC
* 17 Mar 2011 06:53:09 near epicenter
* 17 Mar 2011 05:53:09 standard time in your timezone

Location 41.110N 80.680W
Depth 5 km
Distances

* 3 km (2 miles) WNW (301 degrees) of Youngstown, OH
* 5 km (3 miles) ENE (67 degrees) of Austintown, OH
* 6 km (4 miles) SSE (166 degrees) of Girard, OH
* 70 km (44 miles) E (86 degrees) of Akron, OH
* 95 km (59 miles) NW (322 degrees) of Pittsburgh, PA

Location Uncertainty Horizontal: ; Vertical
Parameters Nph = 7; Dmin = 2.8 km; Rmss = ; Gp = 108°
M-type = M; Version = 1
Event ID US 2011ipc6

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

Hi kennylee. Yes we clocked that one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am thinking fracking/water injection or something but I could well be way off base on that.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I should have went back a page. Sorry about that. Just shows how slow the quakes get posted to me.

Are there injection wells in the area that you know of?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The Youngstown, Ohio earthquake finally showed up on the big list. I doubt it is due to fracking. Funny thing is there is a Natural gas company with their offices on Salt Springs Road. There are coal seams in Youngstown. Could be an old mine shaft collapse. And you are right about the salt. Just north of the quake is salt production.

How do you get salt out of the gound? You inject water and suck up the brine.

The China earthquake was very peculiar. I think it's due to irrigation. Find the epicenter and you find an oasis.
I guess I'm wierd. Most of you are interested in the Ring of Fire. Others are interested in the paricular faults where they live. My heart still skips a beat when I think about you Kiwis. But I'm always swimming upstream.

I guess it's because the Ring of Fire is always active. I watch the plates crashing everyday. I know new people that are tuning in because of Japan see an alarming mass of coloured markers all over the maps. I understand this reaction. But it's all very normal. I'm surprised that the Japanese say they're surprised by the size of the main shock. Really? Banda Aceh. Alaska. Chile. Why would Japan be any different? All of the earthquakes are from completely understandable tectonic forces. Yes, you can speculate on triggers. Moon, solar storms, etc. But no one should be really surprised by the event. Exclude nuke issue. I'll swear if I don't.

Of course, I am very interested in the dynamics of large earthquakes. And I want to have people understand the dangers so they are prepared. But I'm fixated on the mid-continental quakes. Very little is known about these seemingly random occurances. The San Andres fault is probably the most studied of all. The Indonesian Earthquake was extensively scrutinized. I followed the scientists as they discovered the great length of the rupture and the surprising extent of it's thrust and movement. I think most of you are aware the entire island of Japan just jumped several meters toward the United States. All of this fascinates me and keeps me gripped with curiousity and wonder.

I'm not just curious about mid-continental earthquakes. I am preplexed and stupified. And in the end, I'm alarmed.

There is much more going on than known tetonic forces. There is an artifical element to the activity. Research artifically induced earthquakes and you will see the future trend. Forget which way a particular fault may be trending. Well, not entirely, that's important. Concentrate on the trend of mid-continental earthquakes.

We are drilling for oil. We are drilling, and fracking for natural gas. This process sometimes includes injection wells for disposal. We drill for water. We drill and mine salt. Coal. Potash. Minerals...

That's a whole lot of human activity deep within our earth's crust. And that activity is changing the equation.

Why the hell would someone let the natural gas boys frack and inject in Arkansas right near a known active seismic area? I know the answer, it was rhetorical. There have been swarms in Enola. I think Enola was artifically induced. The evidence points to fluid induced siesmicity. But no one claims to know the specific source. Could be from the hot springs not far away? Or it could be from human activity.

I now believe that the Arkansas earthquakes are not an old fault reactivated by injection. I believe the injection created a fault where there was none before.

edit on 18-3-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

The major salt mines in this area are under Lake Erie. Morton Salt has a huge operation here, about 3 miles from where I live. I have not once in all my years living in this area felt anything related to those mines.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

The major salt mines in this area are under Lake Erie. Morton Salt has a huge operation here, about 3 miles from where I live. I have not once in all my years living in this area felt anything related to those mines.

Like I said, watch the trend, you may be feeling them in the future.

Here's a map of recent quakes in Southern Ontario. You'll notice the relationship to Windsor Ontario. Major salt production area.
On the map, you'll also see the Ohio quake. It showed up on Canadian maps before the US.

earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

www.windsorsalt.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks

Originally posted by IamAbeliever

Like I said, watch the trend, you may be feeling them in the future.

Here's a map of recent quakes in Southern Ontario. You'll notice the relationship to Windsor Ontario. Major salt production area.
On the map, you'll also see the Ohio quake. It showed up on Canadian maps before the US.

earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca...

www.windsorsalt.com...

I've been to the salt mines in Salzburg, Germany and they are massive. Also I have been to the Mortan plant in The Great Salt Flats here in the U.S. These are two totally different styles of salt mining but both are very much different from fracking of drilling. I'm not sure I understand where you are going with your thoughts please explain.

In both areas water is not "Injected". Yes using water to dissolve is part of the process but as for pressurized injection I've never heard that this is the case.
edit on 18-3-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join