It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2011

page: 292
<< 289  290  291    293  294  295 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I can't really quantify the pressure, or more like I am too lazy.
I just have a knowing there is pressure building....or I have this idea.

By all means, chime in with my comment to Robin. I am happy to learn...I want to!!

Fracking...whether it relieves stress or not....to take away and inject into the Earth something else is in my opinion a joke. I love to respect and be given respect. To me we do a lot to disrespect our home and this is in my opinion one of them.

What if all this time we have been looking at EQ's as a stress reliever instead of a reaction to volcanic activity/energy? In order for their to movement there has to be energy to make it move. Could the cause of that energy have anything to do with magnetite (magma related)?

Remember I am new into this..please go easy on me.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Can magnetite possibly be sometimes crystallized within our Earth's core? Man....I need to study more. This stuff is so exciting. I really wish I could just get a grant and go to school for the next 8 years and figure all this out.

ETA: Just googled the two names together magnetite and earthquakes and found this link.....reading now.

docs.google.com...:2VNG6G_njwYJ:www.geofrontier.net/ch/reader/create_pdf.aspx%3Ffile_no%3D201001009%26year_id%3D2010%26quarter _id%3D1%26falg%3D1+magnetite+and+earthquakes&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShb9QDC-yQfVoWfb1IePBD-Iu0RlfA_J2eCEqSPOonHJUTIFhk7y3YAw7yWz8gxYIcHI9e7GwLM nIZnlca9S2tqwH33KUZtJtYnXWi_7NZHQyW_YeV7HOec5p_PHm0DGz6JJPEb&sig=AHIEtbSYzWRwrINBVznmrIzsjlOYKIcqrg
edit on 5-10-2011 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by Robin Marks

No I am not comparing apples to oranges. Stress is stress no matter how it is built up. There is movement and it may not be subduction, or maybe it is, and movement is what causes the stress. Sorry but you cannot get away from that. No movement, no stress.

So tell me where in the middle of Asia? No matter where you pick you will find plate movement causing stress, or Coriolis movements causing stresses in or rather under apparent solid land masses.

The simple facts are that once an area, and it matters not which area, looses its built up stress it goes right back to building it up again. That takes time. In my opinion there are insufficient forces at work in the NMSZ to produce a mag 7.5 to 8 for many decades - possibly 200 years yet.

edit on 5/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

So Puterman, I understand and appreciate your concept. My problem, is that I don't understand just HOW the GPS figures for the NMZ are figured. I would imagine this has been determined by a bunch of geologists with all kinds of degrees....based on the accepted theories regarding what type of fault the NMZ is, and the accepted locations, based on previous events, land deformation and other ground studies???

Here is my thought:
What if the NMZ IS a subduction zone? What if the GPS measurements are not correct because they aren't looking in the right places, based on an incorrect theory of what the NMZ is?

There could be so many other forces at work here (I think of the odd swarms, reports during the last quakes, the fracking, the gulf spill)...while I would like to believe that 'they' have it covered....my gut tells me they do not.

So while I agree with you on the cause/affect of energy release and it's relation to major quake forcasting...
I just don't know if I trust the GPS measurements for the NMZ.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Lots of facts and too many assumptions. However, I really appreciate all your input, you always work very hard to put forward your point of view, which I must say is always very impressive. The humble me within, my intuition, which cannot offer facts only feelings is that as the universe is expanding, the inner core from within is significantly changing, rather like the old wax and paraffin lamp and is being affected by planetery/universal changes. Sycronicity is also playing its part. As we expand so does the vibrational effect. Time appears/or may appear to speed up. So time as we appear to experience it is becoming shorter. What we acheived in 100 years is now reduced to achieving greater things in 10 years. Maybe the planetery experience is speeding up and what you envisage could be a lot closer than your estimations?

I am not here to challenge your valid assumptions but only offer an alternative view from my own intuition. I will however take into consideration all of yours.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

www.csmonitor.com...

I had a working theory that the quartz crystals may resonate as an amplifier. Maybe explaining why the effects of a quake here in Arkansas (with Huge amounts of Quartz crystals) are so widespread even quite a distance from the epicenter.

There is so much to learn about all of this !

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonlover12
reply to post by MamaJ

www.csmonitor.com...

I had a working theory that the quartz crystals may resonate as an amplifier. Maybe explaining why the effects of a quake here in Arkansas (with Huge amounts of Quartz crystals) are so widespread even quite a distance from the epicenter.

There is so much to learn about all of this !

I know thats right! A LOT to learn.....and I need every day-all day to study. I have three kids, a bf who is like another kid so you might as well say four kids that I take care of and then the house, the laundry and entertaining the "kids" just keeps me busy. I sell real estate, clean houses and also work part time at a salon. UGH! All I want to do is study this!

I dont know...it just seems like this is an area that I have not looked into and I desperately want to.....there has to be a relation as I think it may possibly be connected. If it is connected it would seem likely this magnetite is somehow a corporate.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

I have a few rather beautiful quartz crystals from Arkansas (amongst other places), and I too have often wondered about their resonance and amplification abilities in relation to EQ's. I just wish I could find the link to a recent scientific study that was recently undertaken whose results showed a very strong possibility that they indeed do this (as do other minerals but not to the same degree).
Within this paper which was written by a group of geologists from some university or institute, they also found quartz ceystals recorded previous seismic events.....I had to smile at this finding as there is a certain configuration of quartz known as a record keeper!

It is late, but I shall try and trace the article from my old emails and post the link here tomorrow.
Rainbows
Jane
PS...unless somebody else beats me to it overnight!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Tracked the reference for that.

The role of crustal quartz in controlling Cordilleran deformation

Nature journal abstract www.nature.com/nature/journal/v471/n7338/full/nature09912.html

Free fulltext pdf eswww.rhul.ac.uk/~perez/lowry_perez-gussinye.pdf
edit on 5-10-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

Nice find.
But it's not the one I'm looking/read/ thinking of.

Back into the 'old' mail box tomorrow me thinks!
BTW 2nd link came up 'damaged' and 'unrepairable' or some such
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

I have a few rather beautiful quartz crystals from Arkansas (amongst other places), and I too have often wondered about their resonance and amplification abilities in relation to EQ's. I just wish I could find the link to a recent scientific study that was recently undertaken whose results showed a very strong possibility that they indeed do this (as do other minerals but not to the same degree).
Within this paper which was written by a group of geologists from some university or institute, they also found quartz ceystals recorded previous seismic events.....I had to smile at this finding as there is a certain configuration of quartz known as a record keeper!

It is late, but I shall try and trace the article from my old emails and post the link here tomorrow.
Rainbows
Jane
PS...unless somebody else beats me to it overnight!

I can assure you I wont have the time....I am about to do my motherly duties but will be on a lot more tomorrow. Will check in and see what ya have.

I can't wait!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Mount Aso japan
2011-10-05 14:33:26 4.7 4 Km

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Scientists to develop deep ocean seismic network
The Associated Press
Posted: 10/05/2011 04:16:19 PM PDT

www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19048372

SAN DIEGO—The Scripps Institution of Oceanography has been awarded a $1 million grant to develop a deep sea seismic network.

Scientists hope this new system will plug current monitoring gaps.

Ships typically deploy earthquake sensors in the ocean that gather data for a certain amount of time before they are retrieved by vessels.

Scripps will pair with industry in the project that's being funded by the National Science Foundation. Data from the sea floor sensors will be transmitted to a surfboard-sized autonomous unmanned vessel on the ocean's surface, and then to shore via satellite.

Researchers say the unmanned vessel would be able to stay stationary for longer periods of time, allowing for more data collection.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjjtir

Tracked the reference for that.

The role of crustal quartz in controlling Cordilleran deformation

Nature journal abstract www.nature.com/nature/journal/v471/n7338/full/nature09912.html

Free fulltext pdf eswww.rhul.ac.uk/~perez/lowry_perez-gussinye.pdf
edit on 5-10-2011 by jjjtir because: (no reason given)

Oh how I love you guys/gals on here!!! I have a lot of reading to do!!! This is really interesting and I hope to hear more from Muzzy, Puterman and Robin in regards to this theory and what they think as well!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Another quake in Arkansas. Five in the last day. A new swarm? Maybe.

Puterman, I wish I could get into this debate, I would love to argue with you. But I can't right now.

But I know we will agree the following may be one of the best arguments ever.

www.youtube.com...

What caused the Guy/Greenbrier swarm?
Where'd the pressure come from?

Water.

edit on 5-10-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

What caused the Guy/Greenbrier swarm? Where'd the pressure come from? Water.
reply to post by Robin Marks

What IF when they inject water into magnetized rocks and soil it makes them grow/energize and move? Is that possible?

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I will look the details up for the GPS.

Interestingly I just started a study of the same type for Cascadia. I have not finished but so far my method ties in with the geologists and their estimate of an 8.2+ in the next 50 years - except I think it may have already gone beyond that and is in the 8.6 zone - but I have not finished yet. Much depends on the original estimates for the historic quakes. Cascadia for example could be 8.8 or 9.2. That is a massive difference and affects the calculation quite a lot.

NMSZ is possibly not 6.5 as I said earlier but closer to a potential 7.2.

I have to try and work out what the likelihood is of an 'early' event. Actually neither of these zones appears to be prone to early events whereas others are - for example Santa Cruz. That has early events. If Cascadia does not have early events then it is looking like c150 years for the big one. In fact if the average 500 years is good then another 150 years is only 350 so that may be early!

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by peacefulwarrior3

as the universe is expanding

But is it? That has always been an interesting question. Are we talking Big Bang theory because if we are think of a ripples from a stone. Yes it expands outwards - but the original centre becomes void - or devoid in the case of ripples. Is this seen in the Universe?

Time appears/or may appear to speed up. So time as we appear to experience it is becoming shorter. What we acheived in 100 years is now reduced to achieving greater things in 10 years.

Time however does not speed up or slow down - or not so that we would notice it. It is our perception of time that changes. This has been going on since time immemorial. As child it is a long time from one birthday to the next. As an adult they fly by faster and faster. This has nothing to do with time.

As we build on experience the process required to move from one state to the next is boosted by the experience of the past, but time itself does not change merely our ability to adapt.

Maybe the planetery experience is speeding up and what you envisage could be a lot closer than your estimations?

If the planetary experience was speeding up objects such as Stonehenge would become out of sync. They do not. Time remains constant as defined in our sphere of experience. Astronomical and orbital calculations would be a nightmare if this constant changed to any great degree.

Solar cycles and earthquake cycles are bound by the same time. You cannot mix time as a constant and a metaphysical time.

================================================

As I write there has been a 4.9 and a 5.6 on the Reykjanes Ridge.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
No, 5.6 was USGS and 4.9 was EMSC

Magnitude 5.6
Date-Time

Thursday, October 06, 2011 at 00:39:33 UTC
Wednesday, October 05, 2011 at 10:39:33 PM at epicenter

Location 57.884°N, 32.563°W
Depth 10.2 km (6.3 miles)
Region REYKJANES RIDGE
Distances

898 km (558 miles) SW (224°) from REYKJAVIK, Iceland

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 15.7 km (9.8 miles); depth +/- 2.8 km (1.7 miles)
Parameters NST=345, Nph=347, Dmin=972.9 km, Rmss=0.87 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=7
Source

Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc000658y

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Seems we have some activity there:

Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
2011-10-06 00:39:33, 57.884, -32.562, 5.6, 10.2, Reykjanes Ridge
2011-10-06 00:03:04, 57.929, -32.363, 5.0, 10.0, Reykjanes Ridge
2011-10-05 23:52:20, 57.882, -32.563, 5.4, 10.1, Reykjanes Ridge
2011-10-05 23:02:12, 57.972, -32.550, 4.8, 10.0, Reykjanes Ridge

Source USGS

As you can see it is considerably South of Iceland - in fact it is almost level with me in terms of latitude. We are 54, -9 roughly

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
We are just about to get Ophelia. She is blowing up a storm right now. I think these 4 in Reykjanes are under Ophelia.

I also think that he Bermuda ones were under a hurricane - maybe Ophelia earlier on.

Can anyone confirm this?

Yup: Pretty much at the leading edge

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

you beat me too it I had it on my clipboard ready to paste

Not often you see so many Mag 5's together on an expanding Ridge anywhere .. or is it?

<< 289  290  291    293  294  295 >>

join