It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop shoots, kills family dog

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think it seems important too, at least to me, the imbalance of power here.

IF I shoot a police dog that attacks me or mine, I might as well have killed a person - they are considered like PEOPLE. Even if they thing is biting you and you are terrified of them...

but your average family dog - working too, to protect his family in his mind - is just expendable property.
"He barked, and put himself between me and his home, I killed it, too bad."

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
I think it seems important too, at least to me, the imbalance of power here.

IF I shoot a police dog that attacks me or mine, I might as well have killed a person - they are considered like PEOPLE. Even if they thing is biting you and you are terrified of them...

but your average family dog - working too, to protect his family in his mind - is just expendable property.
"He barked, and put himself between me and his home, I killed it, too bad."

Incorrect. If you were to shoot a police dog (K-9 Officer) you would be charged with any number of things, including murdering a police officer. Stand by for links of such in edit. Keep in mind that is a MURDER charge, capable of being tried under capital punishment laws.

NJ robbery suspect charged with killing police dog

GLOUCESTER TOWNSHIP, N.J. – Police on Wednesday mourned a decorated police dog that was killed just after it sank its teeth into the forearm of a robbery suspect it had tracked by scent for a half-mile.

news.yahoo.com...

Man who kills police dog gets 44 months in jail

Los Angeles - A man who sent a police dog to its death as it was trying to prevent him from committing suicide has been sentenced to 44 months in jail, the San Diego Tribune reported Thursday.

Original Article
www.monstersandcritics.com...

Man shoots police dog, police kill man in Spokane

SPOKANE — Police killed a fleeing suspect who shot a police dog in Spokane.

The Spokane sheriff's office says the chase began Tuesday night when an officer attempted to pull over a car for reckless driving. The driver sped away, high-centered on a lane divider then ran.

The sheriff's office says the suspect pulled a pistol and shot the dog. The handler then shot the suspect who died early this morning at a hospital. He is identified as Johnnie L. Longest, who has a record including vehicle theft and drug possession.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...
edit on 2010/12/20 by sbctinfantry because: Links

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

A good write up on police killing of pets from a law school (including notes from various cases) is here..

MSU Law School - Police Shooting Pets

From the links you provided and mine - it can be noted it isn't really a rare thing.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Originally posted by hadriana

IF I shoot a police dog that attacks me or mine, I might as well have killed a person - they are considered like PEOPLE.

Incorrect. If you were to shoot a police dog (K-9 Officer) you would be charged with any number of things, including murdering a police officer. Stand by for links of such in edit. Keep in mind that is a MURDER charge, capable of being tried under capital punishment laws.

But that is EXACTLY what I mean.
edit on 20-12-2010 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
he was probably aiming at the teenagers and missed

Or maybe he was mistaken for a terrorist

Do any of you seem suprised that he would shoot a dog for no reason.......they shoot people for even less

edit on 20-12-2010 by lastrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Police dogs are well trained and do not attack unless called to....

That is if a police dog is chasing you when you are running from the police and you kill it is it such a harsh crime...

If that police dog is off-duty and on it's porch without a leash and you are walking down the road and that dog THEN attacks you then you have every right to shoot it and or kill it.

I also do not believe the op that he or any one in his family is in law enforcement the fbi the cia ect ect..... My oppinion..
edit on 20-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

You may have missed the fact that calling you a fearmonger -- which you are indeed being -- was an addition to several actual discussion points. You were kind enough to actually put up, rather than shut up. I am so used to people just saying "No you can go find this information yourself you disinfo agent" rather than actually making their arguments. So I thank you for that.

However:

1) In several of those videos and stories that you linked, from what information we have, the shooting seems to have been justified. If you respond to an Assault call and find a pitbull charging at you, I believe the "fight or flight" response is triggered pretty hard. The cops acted rashly in that case, but I do not think necessarily wrongly. In the case where the officer shot his own K9 partner, that is again an entirely different matter - the dog was not the pet of a civilian and it was actually attacking the officer. Many of the other cases seem to simply be off-duty officers abusing what they see as their power. This is a matter that needs to be checked and stopped, but it is still not as systematic and terrifying as you are suggesting.

2) Even if we accept that most cases of food poisoning result from poor handling rather than tainted meat -- which is certainly true of salmonella and a few other causes of food poisoning -- how many still do result from tainted meat, and how many more would result from tainted meat not weeded out by a professional organization*? The recent e. Coli outbreak could have been much worse without any regulation -- isn't it fairly likely that without any regulation, the balance of the numbers would shift to "tainted meat and poor handling cause equal amounts of food poisoning cases"?

*This would not necessarily have to be the FDA, because that group comes with a whole new set of concerns. They are, though, the best we have at the moment, thanks to the structures in place.

3) The officer did not put preference on tracking down meat over attacking the dog. He put himself into a stupid situation and made a choice. A very bad choice. But he remains a single officer in an organization which would, as a unit, probably never do this.

Look at all that addressing of arguments I just did

edit on 20-12-2010 by Solasis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs

A good write up on police killing of pets from a law school (including notes from various cases) is here..

MSU Law School - Police Shooting Pets

From the links you provided and mine - it can be noted it isn't really a rare thing.

Alarmingly true, thanks for the source. Personal opinion of mine being that this is more telling of the general attitude of the police force.

Originally from policek9.com 'Mission Statement'
The primary initiative for the K9 team is to search for and locate suspects or evidence that can be linked to a specific crime scene. The dog is one of the few investigative tools that is available to the patrol team.

The support service provided by the dog section can go beyond the primary initiative in ways that are very effective. They can can be used to locate missing persons, detect illicit drugs or explosives and to back up patrol on calls where the dogs presence can have a psychological effect, or where his physical abilities may deter or prevent violent confrontation.

Creating programs with humble intent is the calling card for corruption. This mission statement goes on, but never bothers to mention the benefit of letting loose the animal on a fellow man, whether he is breaking the law or not. Punishment is from the courts, not a toothed beast.

Take this ominous quote from the same source at the end of the statement:

Originally from policek9.com
"Your mission is clear cut and well defined. The set of philosophies you develop in order to achieve that mission will determine whether you make a beneficial contribution to the role police dogs play in modern law enforcement or whether you become a liability that undermines the good work of many men before you."

Oh how telling it truely is.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
It's just a dog, nothing serious. Dogs get way too much attention anyways it's aways good to get rid of a few of these disgusting creatures.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

You may have missed the fact that calling you a fearmonger -- which you are indeed being -- was an addition to several actual discussion points. You were kind enough to actually put up, rather than shut up. I am so used to people just saying "No you can go find this information yourself you disinfo agent" rather than actually making their arguments. So I thank you for that.

I am not a disinfo agent, and to prove that I gave multiple examples to show that I am not wearing rose colored glasses on the matter. Some shooting of dogs is justified, but the real question is what is the trend? An hour's research will conclude that most scenarios are an abuse of power.

Furthermore, a dog is not a concious being capable of complex thought processes like human beings. It's main duties are to be a faithful companion and protect it's domain. Most dogs will not attack, but almost all will threaten. Therefore, we should assume that unless a dog attacks, it will not when dealing with entering the premises of a 'suspect'. We are in his domain, and therefore can not blame the dog for any show of agression. However, there needs to be a standard set, that unless a dog attacks, it may pretty much do whatever it wants. To define an attack, the animal must be charging and either mid-lunge, or in the act of attacking by biting an officer or person.

To the poster that says I am lying about my family's involvement in government and enforcement agencies, it doesn't matter much either way. That was merely my family's background to display that I have discussed many of these topics in depth throughout my lifetime with persons of different backgrounds relevant to the topic. My cousin, whom I am very close to, works for the FBI. None of my relatives to my knowledge work for the CIA, or NSA for that matter. My uncle is working in Florida to create green energy using wave technology. You can look him up by name Lee Marcum. He has also written a few books, one of which was Angel Bubsy about his late wife, fantastic reading. My father was in the Air Force. I was in the Army, though am now medically retired and held two MOS, 11B1P, and 18 series, both of which I will gladly prove to any moderator under no uncertain terms that they destroy any and all evidence after. My grandfather was in the US Army. To go on, would take much more time than I am willing to spend on the subject.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
It's just a dog, nothing serious. Dogs get way too much attention anyways it's aways good to get rid of a few of these disgusting creatures.

You're a pig for that

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Yo, dude, take a chill pill. I was not calling you a disinfo agent. I was saying that I had expected you to call me one. And I thanked you for not doing that. And I can tell that you dont' have rose-colored glasses about the matter -- I more just think that you used too many examples which were arguably justified. the abuses of power, I agree, are something that need to be taken care of.

I actually agree with all of your points about dogs (except that I think they, and many other animals, may be much more sentient than we give them credit for), but I think that an understanding of all of those other facts is actually a huge chunk of the fact that these things happen. Dog-action education is probably something that needs to be implemented among police officers so that this happens less often. The cases of the charging pitbul and the K9 officer seem to be instances of exactly that, a dog actually attacking.

It seems that we're actually largely in agreement, except on where exactly the blame lies for which things

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFallOfRa

You're a pig for that

No, I'm not a pig, I just hate the way people put dogs on pedestals.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

Seeing as in most cases they're a family pet and the family have developed a strong bond with the pet, they have every right to put it on a "pedestal." And for the people that buy dogs just to attack people and be aggressive, it's not the dogs fault, it's the owner so maybe you should be getting rid of the filth that train the dogs to be that way.
edit on 20-12-2010 by TheFallOfRa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Funny how the lads in afghan and iraq have to wait to be fired upon before they can shoot (in theory) , but the cops in America can shoot first - ask later!!

Like being a soldier - being a cop requires you to be put in harms way to prevent others being harmed..... so the cop should wait to be attacked before responding (subject to situation - of course someone pointing a gun at a cop is going to get taken out) but when it comes to a dog running at a cop, the cop has NO RIGHT to shoot until the dog has attacked.

This is what happens when you give power mad retards a firearm. The US should not provide all cops with guns, there should only be special firearms units to respond to gun related crimes.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion

edit on 20/12/10 by Flying Sorcerer because: 1 of many probable spelling mistakes

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
If a cop shot my dog...
there would be hell to pay.
My dog is family,I love him,
I would not rest until I got justice.
Be it by the court, or on my own.

The more I see things like this the more
I know Police are turning into Murderous thugs .

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Dang, ...

Looks like someone didn't get the puppy they wanted for Christmas 20 years ago.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

Yo, dude, take a chill pill. I was not calling you a disinfo agent. I was saying that I had expected you to call me one. And I thanked you for not doing that.

Perhaps I'm too young to this forum to get caught up in the politiking, but I have an open mind about every topic as long as we stick to a factual basis.

I would like to emphasize to all that I am a dog owner, and compassionate about animals to the extent that they serve the purpose we place on them conciously or subconciously which is more than we can say about our politicians!

I own two siberian huskies, and I have to put myself in this families shoes when I write. I have trained my dogs since their puphood to obey. They know that anyone coming from the back door is friend, and through the gate foe. If a police officer came through the gate or over the fence, he would be forced to shoot. If he came through the door, the two would issue merely a verbal warning to first and foremost not hurt another human being and then be cautious but not agressive.

Example : The gas man came through the gate to check the meter, ignoring the sign posted in front of his face, with double emphasis. He was promptly pinned against the fence and sufferend no long term physical damage, but the psychological damage was vast. He complained to his boss and tried to have my dogs put to rest. I had to invite the police over to show them the non-agression with the exception of certain indicators of aggression.

We look too much to the animal for signs of aggression in matters as the OP, but never look to ourselves.

Dog psychology is simple, it is the human psyche we struggle to understand.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFallOfRa

You're a pig for that

No, I'm not a pig, I just hate the way people put dogs on pedestals.

I have reported your plagarism, and general hijacking of this thread for ill-gotten reasons.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

It may sound like I'm trying to be a jackass but I'm not, I'm just saying I sick of seeing commercials from celebrities who talk about abused animals and how we should adopt them but at the same time there are a ton of a abused, homeless and sick children just in America alone but you never here those celebrities say to volunteer at a homeless shelter or wherever else people need help.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join