It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop shoots, kills family dog

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Cop shoots, kills family dog

www.ajc.com

A resident called police to report that someone was selling meat from the back of a white pickup truck, King said. The friend of one of her children had parked his white truck in front of the family's home, and King believes the officer was checking it to confirm it was involved.

"My neighbor saw the whole thing," King said. "He was shocked how quickly the officer pulled his gun."

Boomer was killed about 25 feet from his spot on the front porch, close to her front door, King said. He was not on a leash.

King said she wasn't home when Boomer was shot, but three teenagers were in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
While a police officer shooting a family canine is more commonplace than we would all appreciate admitting, the fact that even witnesses were amazed at how quickly he drew and fired is something of note. Absurdly, the officer was responding to a person selling meat out of a truck, while the job market has forced many families into this type of work. A sign of things to come? Trigger happy thug cops clamping down on the 'meat black market'?

www.ajc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
They have tasers in this area. They use them on folks all the time.

2nd line..just sayin'

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Um. No. This is not a sign of things to come. Stop being such an alarmist. The cop did a really stupid thing which really really sucks. He was called by a citizen, and was not "cracking down" on anything that didn't seem suspicious.

This is really awful. Poor dog. Probably just wanted to meet the cop.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

"Mom! He killed my dog," King said her son screamed.

“I have really worked hard to teach my children about authority. I’ve also taught my children you take responsibility for everything you do," Lawrene King said. "We’re all human, but don’t try to justify.”

www.ajc.com...

These scenario's are more commonplace than we would all like to admit, have occurred more frequently lately, and still go largely unpunished and without notice. This officer should be reprimanded and taken off the streets until the department can assure it's citizenry that an event like this is actively being avoided in the future through training and education.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Okay, where is your evidence that this happens so often? Where is your evidence that it goes unpunished? All I see is you saying it. Prove it, fearmonger.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

Um. No. This is not a sign of things to come. Stop being such an alarmist. The cop did a really stupid thing which really really sucks. He was called by a citizen, and was not "cracking down" on anything that didn't seem suspicious.

This is really awful. Poor dog. Probably just wanted to meet the cop.

If there was nothing to respond to, why was an officer sent? Why was he so quick to draw a weapon?

My mother used to sell meat from the back of a truck, as financial times were hard for our family. Financial times are hard for a lot more families now, than they were back then. She had to go to the slums, to rich neighborhoods, and if our police force is responding to these types of 'suspicious activities' can we really justify any part of this story?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Um. I never said that there wasn't anything to respond to. You are the one who said that there was nothing to respond to.

Here is the actual sequence of events:

1 - Neighbor sees person selling meat out of a truck. Thinks it is suspicious.
2 - Neighbor calls cops.
3 - Cops say "Yeah, that does seem suspicious. We will send someone over to check it out."
4 - Cops send a guy to investigate
5 - Guy who investigates is either trigger-happy or terrified of dogs.

If the legality of selling meat out of the back of a truck is in question, then yes, the cops should be investigating these sorts of events. I fail to see what's wrong with cops, you know, actually doing their jobs. If your mother was selling meat that hadn't been confirmed not to be tainted, I would have wanted her stopped in all of those neighborhoods. If she was selling meat that it was totally cool to sell, I would still want to know that the meat was cool to sell.

I really fail to see where the problem falls on the government or the legal system until this officer is not punished for his rash, stupid, and harmful action. Until then, it's all on him.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Is there video?

How do we know the dog didn't try to attack the officer?

If a dog attacks me outside of it's boundries then I will kill it also.....

Now if I am in the fenced in part the dog is in that is me on his territory different story...

What kind of dog is this a pitbull?

A rottwieler?

Just some mutt?

It says the dog was on the porch without a leash and attacked the officer....

Bad part on the owners to let their dog go unleashed..There are leash laws or proper confinement laws you know.

edit on 20-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

edit on 20-12-2010 by TheFallOfRa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
It has to be a standing order in a lot of municipalities. Really it's the only way to explain away how often this happens and with any breed of dog under any circumstances from a charging mastiff to a bichon tethered to the deck.

If you have a dog and see a cop coming just expect that cop to kill your dog. It's what they do.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

Okay, where is your evidence that this happens so often? Where is your evidence that it goes unpunished? All I see is you saying it. Prove it, fearmonger.

Federal Cop Shoots Dog at Dog Park
reason.com...
Cop kills Bear-Bear at dog park
weblogs.baltimoresun.com...
Off-Duty cop breaks up dog quarrel -- with gun
www.cbsnews.com...

Cop shoots dog even after owner tells him not to cut through yard & warns him that the dog bites
www.youtube.com...

Cop Shoots Restrained Dog In The Head
www.youtube.com...

Cop shoots nextdoor neighbors dog #1
www.youtube.com...

Cop Shoots Own K-9 Police Dog
www.youtube.com...

Cops shoot a Pit Bull, a Lady, and themselves
www.youtube.com...

Police Brutality: Cop Kills Dog, Tries To Buy Owner's Silence!
www.youtube.com...

Officer Shoots Woman, Pit Bull Playing
www.click2houston.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That aint no little mutt..

That dog is a BIG PITBULL..

Why the hell would you let a pitbull run around without a leash?

Mostly to alert you if cops were coming and to protect you from them..

I know plenty of people in the hood who use putbulls for this reason, unleashed on the porch, to alert and attack people or cops....

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This only happens in countries that allow guns to regular cops, police with guns should not be allowed, they are half brained idiots with no common sense. I have a german shepherd that likes to get a bit noisy when someone comes through the gate but every time the police have come they just ask if we can put it in another room and they wouldn't dare enter our property if he was in the garden. I live in the UK where the only weapon normal police are allowed to carry is a battern, maybe pepper spray and an occassional taser. This type of stuff doesn't happen here.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

The officer ordered the dog to stop and when it didn't, the officer shot and killed the animal in its yard,

I have to side with the officer on this one, the dog obviously totally ignored his verbal command

I think the cop should have asked him to lie down and roll over instead

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Reply to post by Mathoryn

Hahahahahaha

Lord knows they can be belligerent. My dog constanly refuses to make dinner, mow the lawn or cover for me at work.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What bothers me is that a call about a 'suspicious person' can get the cops in your neighborhood and put people and domestic animals at risk.

See, I think there's more risk with a cop around than your average 'suspicious person' as judged by most of my fellow citizens. Now we are getting Walmart ads - this should help. NOT.

I would personally rather my NEIGHBORS all be armed, and have dogs, than for anyone to think that the police will 'keep us safe.'

Police don't do much to deter crime, from what I've seen. It's just my experience. They are nice to turn to when crime has happened, and you need a bad guy caught, or a form filled out.

I'd just rather my home and yard be off limits to their bullets and prying eyes, without just cause.
My chickens aren't on leashes, hope one of them never runs at a cop and gets shot.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by Mathoryn

Hahahahahaha

Lord knows they can be belligerent. My dog constanly refuses to make dinner, mow the lawn or cover for me at work.

Sounds like my ex-wife, maybe the cops should of shot her too.

edit on 20-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My perceptions about cops are colored by what I've seen them do - for me it started as a kid when we went to get my uncle from the jail and then carried him to get over 100 stitches where the cops had beat him.

Now you've got a family of kids that will probably grow up fearing cops.
Hate comes with fear. Sometimes I think that is what a lot of cops want - people to be terrified of them.
But hate does come with fear. It's hard to have the 'People should respect us out of fear' thing going while also trying to have the 'people shouldn't hate us' thing going.
Human sensibilities don't work like that.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Coming from an OEF Veteran, with a family bloodline in all branches of service from top-to-bottom, police officers, and FBI agents...

For an officer to issue a verbal command, and then shoot, is criminal. There is some semblance of escalation of force (EOF), which is really one facet of this conversation. The other is whether the cop should have been investigating 'suspicious persons selling meat' or not.

When I call the police about a speeding person, with a license plate, rarely is anything done. If you avoid the tax man, believe that the boys in blue will be there much faster to greet you.

When cooked properly, any meat that you would consider buying in the first place is just as likely to be safe as if you bought it in the store. In fact, most cases of food poisoning involve user handling as opposed to the actual meat. By handling, I don't mean where you bought it from, but how you cooked it. Even a spoiled chicken can be made edible with proper cooking procedures.

When an officer is so ready to fire, you have to question his mental competence to perform his duties as a public servant. If the dog had attacked him, he had every right to shoot. The dog did not attack, however, and in the protect and serve line of work you must wait for this to take action. Unless we are a nation of Pre-Crime, where cops rule from the holster, this is an outrage.

When an officer cares more about chasing down meat than protecting your right to property (in this case a dog) hard questions have to be asked. Where are we heading as a nation? What if someone got hurt from a stray bullet? If the possible dangers of a dog outweigh the possible dangers of a stray round, we must certainly examine our priorities.

Of course, you would much rather call me a fearmonger than adress anything here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join