It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Sunday-Evening Surprise, Senate Unanimously Passes Food Safety Bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Yes we can hope. Funny how some already have come full circle.
And yet our enlightened ones are still in the dark.

But when the oil stops flowing, and our systems fail, no safety procedures are in place to help us. No localized food networks, and no agricultural schools developing our next wave of farmers -- this in a country where the average age for a farmer is 64.

It feels to me as if we are becoming so overly reliant on our supermarket system, that when it breaks down, all we can turn to is military intervention.

Surely we should be striving to teach and educate people how to feed themselves. How to grow food and distribute it locally. How to barter for food items that can bring the essential vitamins and minerals for healthy life.
www.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
This is very true. Still room to fight it. I just don't want to see a garbage bill get passed. The more things we let these guys get away with.... We've got to cut these guys off before they become mega bullies.

I never want to see a time my supplements get limited, despite the fact I know they work. I don't want to see a time where Monsanto food is all we have. Right now, our corn crop has been nearly taken over by Monsanto. I don't want to ingest more and more pesticides, and herbicides.

There is always more room to fight, even if I'm swinging my fists in my casket. I'll have Monsanto sucks written on my gravestone. lol

Troy

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Yeah, they do crap like this.

And all the while, they earn a fat salary. Paid by tax dollars by hard working folks.

See, we dont take it lightly what they have done. Its pure bandini.

S510 would enforce automatic harmonization with CODEX, an international law that would supercede American law.

The organization, Citizens for Health (CFH) also points out disturbing and unacceptable language in the House version of the bill, which "calls for the effective imposition of martial law through cordoning off potentially affected geographic areas in the case of a perceived food transport safety threat in order to halt the movement of food." This leaves the door open for the abuse of such power.

Their action link is href="http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/750/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=5255" target="_hplink">here.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Not one person in this thread agrees with this bill and im sure its the same for the majority of the population (those that actually read it). My question is, how was this bill passed unanimously when so many people are against it? Do WE the people really have no control over what happens in this country anymore?

This is sick. How can you do this to your own people?!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I think some people are in denial of how much the government says one thing then passing something that says something completely opposite, then plays the card "oh but it will affect few people if any" yea right

tell that to the 10 or 12 year kids that get fined and shut down for not compensating the government for there bake sale or lemonade stand
these people have no shame

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
As of last week I vowed not to eat at corporate chain restaurants anymore. I'm sure nothing will change but I feel better already staying away from the contaminated crap Mc Donalds etc.

Wow. I only did that myself a few weeks ago too! Hopefully we'll start a 100th monkey scenario!

The one positive thing I can see in this is the authorities will risk waking up Grandpa by telling him that the tomatos he's been growing and giving to his family for 50 years are now suddenly "unsafe".

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Grandpa would probably grab his trusty shot gun, and put some lead in their rear ends. lol

No matter what happens folks, we gotta keep pushing for what is right. We gotta let them know that it's not alright to do what they are doing. We gotta make them feel the pain of responsibility.

Our founding fathers, our early patriots, would not have wanted it this way. They didn't die on the battle field for us to just roll over and accept tyranny of any sort. I'm not saying we gotta run to the White House with guns, but we've got to be heard.

Troy

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The thing about all this to me at the least is, I'm so damn poor I can't even really afford to eat anyways for the most part. These people get tons of cash to feed you what you dont want. I cant find a job in my town, its literally the armpit of social services for minority groups I can't even get unemployment if I wanted to. Im a college student using the GI Bill, the school told me I make to much to get my FAFSA and state tuition assistance. They pass stuff like this and put a strangle hold on the cheap food only I can afford when I can afford it. Another drip in the hate and discontent bucket, another sad day for Americans, pity.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
So I've read the articles from three links here and may be in a state of shock, but by this new legislation you will now no longer even have the right to a hobby garden? You can't grow your own tomatoes, apples, etc.?

That is utter lunacy! Wow, this really is a big step and a detrimental one in that for the current economic climate!

Show me the language in the bill that forbids "hobby gardens." I have read the bill and that language isn't there.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I am a newbie so this link might be posted somewhere already but I can't find it. Sorry if it is. If not, could someone please start a new thread to make this link as easily accessible as possible to everyone. I can't since I'm not up to my 20 posts yet.

Take Action NOW to Stop the Food Safety Bill Now in the House
Sign the petition at:
org2.democracyinaction.org...
(This will automatically email your appropriate representatives in Washington.)

TFN

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
No, it doesn't really mention hobby gardens in what I've read, but... This bill expands FDA and other organizational control over our food supply. You gotta connect the dots, because the FDA has done some pretty dirty things to the public. Give a corrupt organization more control over the food supply and find out what happens. This is the same FDA that has raided health food stores, nutrition stores, etc. Like these people were hardened criminals and were really committing a crime.

A brief history of FDA raids.

www.naturalnews.com...

Is this an organization that needs more power?

This bill is something Monsanto is probably salivating over, even though I've heard they say something different. This bill is good for Monsanto, because they already terrorize farmers if their seeds accidentally go over into your field. And, you cannot save Monsanto seeds, they want you to purchase every year. They are scum of the earth. So, you can connect the dots with Monsanto, and food control.

Monsanto has ruined corn, pretty much, in large part of the world.

Yes, someone above me mentioned another petition for democracyinaction, you'll find that link on naturalnews.com. It's another petition you can sign, and you should.

The link is here. The above post and link works as well.

org2.democracyinaction.org...

Troy

edit on 20-12-2010 by cybertroy because: added some more stuff

edit on 20-12-2010 by cybertroy because: added a word

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
i thought they made it so it didnt apply to small scale farms. so unless u have a massive farm nd are knowingly selling bogus food to people ur good

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I think maybe you're missing the main point.

1) The FDA is corrupt.

More power being given to the corrupt organization to "make food safe?" There is a problem here. The FDA has a long history of making bad decisions for the people. It's corrupt. They have done little to make food safe with the power they already had. We didn't give Charles Manson more knives and tell him to go out and save the world. Why would we give the FDA more power?

Once food control gets handed over to these massive corrupt corporations, what do you think will happen? This means Monsanto has a field day on us. "Hey, I see some of our plants are on your field. We own those." Monsanto is very dirty organization. They don't mind plowing under the small farmer. Watch "David versus Monsanto."

It is incremental control, more and more control gets taken, the next thing you know a Monsanto agent is at your uncle Billy's house threatening a lawsuit for "planting their crops."

We do not want this bill implemented. We want to take down Monsanto's control of seeds.

Troy

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
You vote for your senator. Either because they are a member of a particular party, or because their policies and dreams match yours.
They vote exactly along party lines (i.e. what they are told to vote for by the party), or they vote based on lobbyist "donations." Your vote, your voice matters not anymore.

Those with the power and money win. Period.
You are at their mercy.

Voting along party lines is cowardice. The party votes based on funding from lobbyists. Voting on lobbyist funding is deceitful. Either way, you end up with whatever they deem you worthy of. Not very much.

You are governed by the wealthy.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Note to FEDS:

I, and all my patriot friends have planted gardens.

We Grow Tomatos, Squash, beans, peppers; oh and Land mines ... So watch Your step!

All joking aside I welcome the attempts to enforce such draconian legeslation. BYOBB

Molon labe!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
OK folks, calm down.
The final bill that was passed contains the Tester/Hagen Amendment.
What does that amendment say?
Well, here is the story:

This morning, the Senate voted 73-25 to approve S510 with the Tester-Hagan amendment.

Thank you to everyone who called and wrote their Senators! For the last year, the Farm and Ranch Freedom Alliance and allied organizations have urged the Senate not to crush small-scale producers in the name of food safety, and our work culminated in the Tester-Hagan amendment. But it was your calls and letters -- the voices of individuals all over the country -- that ultimately convinced the Senators to take this step. Thank you!

As passed, the bill includes the version of the Tester-Hagan amendment we discussed in our last email: It exempts producers grossing under $500,000 (adjusted for inflation) and selling more than half of their products directly to “qualified end users” from the HACCP-type requirements and the produce safety standards. “Qualified end users” means individual consumers (with no geographic limitation), or restaurants and retail food establishments that are EITHER located in the same state OR within 275 miles of the producer. While complex, this amendment effectively carves out small-scale producers who are selling in-state or to local foodsheds from two of the most burdensome provisions of the bill.

farmandranchfreedom.org...
Yes, originally, the bill did not have this amendment, and yes, there WAS a real threat that anyone growing food COULD be included in the bill.
I actually took the time to meet with one of our Senators and expressed the concerns of many people. He, along with several others, assured us that an amendment would be included that exempted small farmers and home gardens.
So relax,. continue to grow those home gardens, as long as you don't plan on growing or selling more than half a million dollars worth of vegetables, you'll be ok.

edit on 20-12-2010 by ProfEmeritus because: add link

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by SaturnFX

You good little tax payer you.

meh, your just gullible...seems you will believe anything

tell you what...if by this time next year, no police have come to arrest you for growing your sprouts...you owe me a million dollars...if however, they do, I will give you two million

now, lets put a contingency on this...your not allowed to have a thousand acre farm growing sprouts..simply a personal farm..or even a farm that could feed a small neighborhood.

What if it were 25 acres? Enough tomatos could be grown on 25 acres to feed some folks. And with the prices going up small farms could undercut plus sell organic. And then that might catch on. Several of these farms could spring up around town and there wont be any coming in from anywhere. Even 5 acres. Lots and lots of tomatos can be grown on 5 acres.

Now thats the way it was around here 40 years ago and beyound. One local town still has a tomato festival every year but there hasnt been a tomato farm around there for decades. The price is getting now at 3lb for tomatos and there has been talk by some of puting in a few acres. Could sell tomatos all day in this economy for 1.50$ lbs unless some dumb ass came and shut you down for some dumb ass reason. Anyway thats where this is going my friend.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
It still comes down to the point of power taken here, power taken there. I can't really breath a sigh of relief even if the small farms aren't being attacked right now. It pisses me off that companies like Monsanto can be so spiteful and evil, yet they still get to make billions of dollars. The FDA doesn't say squat to Monsanto, but they have plenty of time to raid a health food store.

I'm just tellin' ya, I just don't like giving an already corrupt FDA more power. Everyone doesn't have a home farm, or enough room to grow everything they need, so some people are stuck with what's at the store. If organic food gets attacked, then those people suffer.

No matter what happens, our government needs to know that we are watching them. We can't let them feel like they can just run over us.

Troy

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Some food for thought. Don't think they will ever attack your small garden?

www.naturalnews.com...

I'm not saying we will ever get to this point, you know, if we continue to fight. But, you can see, this type of injustice has happened in the past. And, with the FDAs purposed new powers.....

I feel kind of bad about getting into the whole "sky is falling" kind of stuff, but the evidence doesn't lie. We've got a battle to do with the FDA, they have screwed us too many times. I don't like to think toward the worse scenario, I like to think of what the ideal scene would be. And that's how we should ultimately all think, and what we should all work toward, despite the obstacles.

Troy
edit on 21-12-2010 by cybertroy because: thought of some more stuff to add

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Troy is right. I try to always see the good in things too but not to the point of being blind to the damage that can be done when everyone just acts like Steeple.

TFN

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join