It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Sunday-Evening Surprise, Senate Unanimously Passes Food Safety Bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

In Sunday-Evening Surprise, Senate Unanimously Passes Food Fafety Bill

thehill.co m

The Senate unexpectedly approved food safety legislation by unanimous consent Sunday evening.

"Tonight we unanimously passed a measure to improve on our current food safety system by giving the FDA the resources it needs to keep up with advances in food production and marketing, without unduly burdening farmers and food producers,” [Reid] he said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Senate bill makes it illegal to grow, share, trade or sell homegrown food.
edit on 20-12-2010 by burntheships because: Food Poisioning

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Headline should read Senate Unanimously Sabotages Americans On Sunday Evening.

S 510 Food Safety Modernization Act of 2010 is the most dangerous bill in the history of the US. It is to your food what the bailout was to our sovereignty..aside that we can live without money!

S 510 puts enmity between you and your government concerning your food, your right to grow your own food, and consume your health food of your choice.

This legislation just become the high offensive authority against the cultivation and consumption of food and agricultural products we know to be beneficial and healthful!

Yes, while our heads were turned from recent tax cuts, and spending allocations...we were sabotaged!

thehill.co m
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-12-2010 by burntheships because: classified

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

oh lawd.

More people who bought into the damn chain emails about this bill.

I'm hardly surprised this bill passed.

You know what shocked me?

The Senate working on a sunday evening.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
This is a sick way to exit congress before the holidays.

Nov. 29th Update: Slammed by a barrage of phone calls and emails today that the mainstream media isn’t even reporting, the U.S. Senate today has decided to postpone their vote on S.510 — the Food Safety Modernization Act — until tomorrow morning. Internet reports that S.510 has already passed are incorrect. The final bill has not yet been voted on.

Nov. 17th Update: Senate Bill 510 is now on the Senate floor where a vote is expected shortly. Yesterday, the Motion to Invoke Cloture passed on a vote of 74-25, sending the bill forward for a vote with shortened debate. A final vote is expected over the weekend.
Oct. Update: At the beginning of October, Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK) announced that he had sidetracked Senate Bill 510. The very next day, Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) announced that he would bring the bill up during the lame duck session because he had the votes to pass it.

S 510, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2010, may be the most dangerous bill in the history of the US. It is to our food what the bailout was to our economy, only we can live without money.

www.truthistreason.net...

1. It puts all US food and all US farms under Homeland Security and the Department of Defense, in the event of contamination or an ill-defined emergency. It resembles the Kissinger Plan.

2. It would end US sovereignty over its own food supply by insisting on compliance with the WTO, thus threatening national security. It would end the Uruguay Round Agreement Act of 1994, which put US sovereignty and US law under perfect protection. Instead, S 510 says:

COMPLIANCE WITH INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS.

Nothing in this Act (or an amendment made by this Act) shall be construed in a manner inconsistent with the agreement establishing the World Trade Organization or any other treaty or international agreement to which the United States is a party.

3. It would allow the government, under Maritime Law, to define the introduction of any food into commerce (even direct sales between individuals) as smuggling into “the United States.” Since under that law, the US is a corporate entity and not a location, “entry of food into the US” covers food produced anywhere within the land mass of this country and “entering into” it by virtue of being produced.

4. It imposes Codex Alimentarius on the US, a global system of control over food. It allows the United Nations (UN), World Health Organization (WHO), UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and the WTO to take control of every food on earth and remove access to natural food supplements. Its bizarre history and its expected impact in limiting access to adequate nutrition (while mandating GM food, GM animals, pesticides, hormones, irradiation of food, etc.) threatens all safe and organic food and health itself, since the world knows now it needs vitamins to survive, not just to treat illnesses.

5. It would remove the right to clean, store and thus own seed in the US, putting control of seeds in the hands of Monsanto and other multinationals, threatening US security. See Seeds – How to criminalize them, for more details.

6. It includes NAIS, an animal traceability program that threatens all small farmers and ranchers raising animals. The UN is participating through the WHO, FAO, WTO, and World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) in allowing mass slaughter of even heritage breeds of animals and without proof of disease. Biodiversity in farm animals is being wiped out to substitute genetically engineered animals on which corporations hold patents. Animal diseases can be falsely declared. S 510 includes the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), despite its corrupt involvement in the H1N1 scandal, which is now said to have been concocted by the corporations.

7. It extends a failed and destructive HACCP to all food, thus threatening to do to all local food production and farming what HACCP did to meat production – put it in corporate hands and worsen food safety.

8. It deconstructs what is left of the American economy. It takes agriculture and food, which are the cornerstone of all economies, out of the hands of the citizenry, and puts them under the total control of multinational corporations influencing the UN, WHO, FAO and WTO, with HHS, and CDC, acting as agents, with Homeland Security as the enforcer. The chance to rebuild the economy based on farming, ranching, gardens, food production, natural health, and all the jobs, tools and connected occupations would be eliminated.

9. It would allow the government to mandate antibiotics, hormones, slaughterhouse waste, pesticides and GMOs. This would industrialize every farm in the US, eliminate local organic farming, greatly increase global warming from increased use of oil-based products and long-distance delivery of foods, and make food even more unsafe. The five items listed — the Five Pillars of Food Safety — are precisely the items in the food supply which are the primary source of its danger.

10. It uses food crimes as the entry into police state power and control. The bill postpones defining all the regulations to be imposed; postpones defining crimes to be punished, postpones defining penalties to be applied. It removes fundamental constitutional protections from all citizens in the country, making them subject to a corporate tribunal with unlimited power and penalties, and without judicial review. It is (similar to C-6 in Canada) the end of Rule of Law in the US.

www.theworldsprophecy.com...
edit on 20-12-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Funny, they said they had no time for the people that responded to the 911 attacks and are dying because of it.
Every day they sink to a new low.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

If this is not the most twisted corrupt thing to come upon us over a holiday break,
someone please remind me of the time when we were more cast unto the hyena.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Only working at such an unusual time for a reason!

Those jerks...ignoring the *will* of the people again.

More links:

www.natural-health-information-centre.com...

www.opencongress.org... --beginnings of the bill that I had saved

Thanks, BTS, for the update...I was on the NK thread = distracted like *they* planned.

edit on 19-12-2010 by sonjah1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

Yeah working overtime.

Working overtime to oppress,

Working overtime to kill,

Working overtime to steal,

Working overtime to destroy.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
So I've read the articles from three links here and may be in a state of shock, but by this new legislation you will now no longer even have the right to a hobby garden? You can't grow your own tomatoes, apples, etc.?

That is utter lunacy! Wow, this really is a big step and a detrimental one in that for the current economic climate!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Big pharma can continue to sell products that harm and kill people constantly yet there's some Sunday night urgency for this to be passed. You'd have to be blind not to see what's going on.

But then even though we do it doesn't matter. Seems nothing will stop them anyway.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

oh lawd.

More people who bought into the damn chain emails about this bill.

I'm hardly surprised this bill passed.

Oh yawn, wake up. You know what shocks me?
You could still be so ignorant as to the facts!

A food safety act should not be part of a spending bill.

A food safety act should not be part of a spending bill.

House Democrats attached what was S.510 (as passed by the Senate on November 30) to H.R. 3082 because they were worried about Republican opposition to it as a stand alone bill. The next step for H.R. 3082 is to go to the Senate for a vote.

As this is the Senate, the first vote on H.R. 3082 will be on a cloture motion to limit debate before there is a vote on the bill itself.

TAKE ACTION

People need to contact their Senators now to tell them toVote “NO” on Cloture for H.R. 3082 and Oppose the “FDA Food Safety Modernization Act” (Division D of H.R. 3082).

www.dakotavoice.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

Utter luncacy indeed. It seems these days crazy is the new rich.

Monsanto’s Michael Taylor who gave us rBGH and unregulated genetically modified (GM) organisms, appears to be behind this new "saving food".

www.infowars.com...

“I think it’s time to de-professionalize the public debate on matters that vitally affect the lives of ordinary people. It’s time to snatch our futures back from the “experts.” Time to ask, in ordinary language, the public question and to demand, in ordinary language, the public answer.” – Arundhati Roy

yupfarming.blogspot.com...

edit on 20-12-2010 by burntheships because: Adding Wake up call

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Please excuse my (Australian) ignorance of the american system but does this mean that it is now law?

I can only hope and pray that nothing of this magnitude is seen here in Australia.

FFS when will people wake up, can't really be anymore blatantly obvious than the government controlling what is eaten and what goes in to that food.

Another interesting point is that now people can not be self-sufficient- Say the NWO kicks in and those who wish to defy it establish their own remote communities, this is now deemed illegal and punishable by measures yet to be defined.

Ouch, that's a blow to humanity.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I am really pissed about this can someone clarify what the hell is going on? I mean have I lost my mind or is this ungodly bill stopping our rights to food we want and also grow? I really want some answers if some one on here is very educated on this bill I cannot stand by if this is the case we are being overtaken by every dam thing possible for humans to live!!1!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Your accent is welcomed.
I think you have got it mate, its sole purpose is control
A small farmer is now equated to the industrial farm, the sins of giant corporation farms approved by the FDA now impact small farms who have little to no recalls or health issues That's some scary business.
Here is the small farmers voice in the matter. I support them!

The 97 undersigned organizations represent consumers, farmers and ranchers, and local food producers who have serious concerns over the pending food safety legislation, S.510, the Food Safety Modernization Act. We urge you to support amendments so as to improve food safety without unnecessarily burdening and handicapping small-scale, local food producers.

www.justmeans.com...
www.justmeans.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Maybe they hurried it up because that wikileaks cable came out about how they contrived to raise food prices with spain so that more people in Spain would accept GMO foods. It caused 250,000,000 people to go hungry.

That cable and some research that tied it to big profits on Wall Street and increasing world hunger were starting to gather steam.

I can see them being like "Quick, get this passed while we can still deny that we are only in it for the money!"
edit on 20-12-2010 by hadriana because: I left 3 zeros off, it was 250 MILLION.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   

I also support the little guys! As of last week I vowed not to eat at corporate chain restaurants anymore. I'm sure nothing will change but I feel better already staying away from the contaminated crap Mc Donalds etc. produce and knowing my hard earned money is not being contributed to an evil agenda!

Yes, sadly control it is. As we have seen the privatisation of water masked by desalinisation plants.

Things really are escalating rapidly to a boiling point world wide.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Can you say "repeal"? This just serves to more graphically illustrate what it was we voted against in the most recent elections. Remember those? Last month? Yeah, the ones where we kicked out a large number of the politicians who love this sort of legislation. When the new crowd takes over next month, we'll get to see if they are any different than the ones we fired. If not, we'll fire them too, till we get some sanity back in D.C.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
So I've read the articles from three links here and may be in a state of shock, but by this new legislation you will now no longer even have the right to a hobby garden? You can't grow your own tomatoes, apples, etc.?

That is utter lunacy! Wow, this really is a big step and a detrimental one in that for the current economic climate!

lol

no...the bill isn't anything like that...what your reading was a conspiracy lie set forth by large canning industries that spun facts until it no longer resembled anything like the truth.

you can of course just go read the bill..or the summery of it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. its passed...tomorrow you will go to your garden and find no swat team shooting the tomatos..you will goto your local farmers market and get your corn as usual, and the only thing you will notice from this bill is you may not get that once a year "strange 24 hour bug" you used to get often...thats because they forced these mega corporate farming franchises to clean up their act.

Thats it...the paranoid fringe is, as usual, just making crap up.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

It is really about control of the food. Since when has the USDA cared to to legislate heath?
We can thank them for contaminated peanut butter, (inspectors bought off to turn head)
contaminated eggs, spinach, etc.

All mass produced in the "animal farms" that will remain subsidized by the Feds.

If it was not so sick, it would be the but of jokes.

Its the new Food Tyranny ACT.

It would give the FDA vast new powers to criminalize and imprison farmers and food producers while doing absolutely nothing to address to real root of the food contamination problem: Factory animal farm operations (which are regulated under the USDA, not the FDA).

The bill passed 73 to 25, with Sen Tom Coburn (R-Oklahoma) emerging as the greatest "voice of reason" in the debate.

Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

Here's the official vote record:
usahitman.com...

edit on 20-12-2010 by burntheships because: broken egg shell

edit on 20-12-2010 by burntheships because: dead rat found in grinder

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join