It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill C-36, passed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
How come no one has made a thread on this? Horrible News.

Summary of Points Discussed In This Paper

* The rule of law is the fundamental underpinning of a free society. Sacrificing the rule of law always leads to tyranny and loss of freedom.
* The Bill represents an unprecedented change in the powers of the state vis-à-vis the citizen. The rule of law and private property rights are all but extinguished in the area of consumer products.
* Although not applicable to natural health products, the Bill still poses a threat. The Bill gives Health Canada inspectors the very powers that concerned citizens in Bill C-51.
* Bill C-36 is being promoted as necessary to protect our families. However, under the existing law the State can already:
o ban or restrict any consumer product under threat of million dollar fines and two year jail sentences under the Hazardous Products Act;
o make immediate orders banning or restricting any consumer product if there is a significant risk to health or safety. In addition to fines and imprisonment for non-compliance, the State can apply to the Court for an injunction which brings police enforcement of the order;
o obtain a search warrant and seize non-compliant products, and
o prosecute for criminal negligence or homicide under the Criminal Code. In some cases this can result in penalties of life imprisonment.
* The real change brought about by Bill C-36 is not that it protects consumers, as the cur-rent law already grants the State significant powers to protect safety. Rather the real change is the abolition of procedural safeguards citizens currently enjoy.
* Bill C-36 abolishes the law of trespass thus allowing the State access onto private property without any legal recourse.
* Bill C-36 for the first time in Canadian history allows warrants to be issued to search private homes without evidence of criminal wrong doing.
* Bill C-36 allows the State to seize property without a Court order, without reporting the seizure to a Court, and for an indefinite period.
* Bill C-36 allows the State to assume control over the movement of private property without a Court order and without a safety concern.
* The search and seizure powers in Bill C-36 are probably unconstitutional for violating the right found in section 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to be free from unreasonable search and seizure.
* Persons can be fined and have property forfeited to the State for administrative violations. Persons so charged have no right to have a Court determine their guilt or innocence. Guilt is determined by the Minister. There is no defence of due diligence or of honest but mistaken belief. There does not have to be a safety risk to be charged with an administrative offence. The Minister who determines your guilt or innocence can keep seized property if he/she finds you guilty.
* Directors, officers and managers are personally liable for violations by their company. Despite the possibility of multi-million dollar fines and long prison sentences, there is no right to cross-examine key witnesses.
* Directors, officers and managers can be saddled with debt years after they have left the company.
* Orders for recall or which take control of private property are exempted from the procedural safeguards of (1) review and (2) publication found in the Statutory Instruments Act.
* All businesses manufacturing, selling or distributing consumer products are saddled with additional red tape and expense regardless of whether or not there is a safety concern.
* Retailers and distributors of consumer products become liable for product labelling and instructions.
* There may be a significant conflict of interest. Health Canada may benefit financially from fines and the seizure of private property.
* Some consumer products such as sporting goods may have to be removed from the market for violating the safety provisions of the Bill.
* The Provinces are allowing the Federal Government to regulate in the Provincial area of property and civil rights. This represents a significant transfer of power from the Provinces to the Federal Government.
* The federal cabinet can incorporate documents from foreign governments or organizations as law by referring to them in regulations. This will remove Parliamentary scrutiny on issues that could fundamentally change the ground rules for the consumer product industry.
* Trade agreements and foreign laws can be adopted without Parliamentary scrutiny.

nhppa.org...

edit on 18-12-2010 by dontreally because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

Sounds like preparation for the new NAU.

In other words, Canada is, in many ways, using the American model--based on the points you outlined...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
If this is indeed correct, then it sets a dangerous precedence for other Commonwealth countries!
Here I thought Canada would be a good place to move to... I guess not.

I just hope the "Law Makers" here in Australia don't try this... For they would surely succeed.

edit on 18/12/2010 by Sovaka because: Grammar

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sonjah1

NAU my thoughts exactly.

Be very scared Canada, be very scared.

www.wnd.com...

www.wnd.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

How did it pass without voting? and away from the public media

This is bad, canada is no longer Free.
edit on 18-12-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Holy moly!

How did this bill get into the Senate so fast without a vote!?!

I am scared now. No more trespassing to property act? this is absolutely FOOLISH!

I am going to write a very long letter attached with thousands of signatures to my local MP. I hope everyone will do the same. We CANNOT let them get away with this! The people did NOT vote in these laws! We need to say NO to these conservative punks and throw them out of office!

It's starting...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:02 AM
link   
How this thread has received so little attention is beyond me.

The implications could be enormous. Possibly setting the stage for the erasure of the US / Canadian boarder and hardly a response. And while our free neighbors loose God given rights not a peep from the 'revolutionaries'.

"....And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me." From a poem by German anti-fascist Martin Niemoller:

edit on 19-12-2010 by nocents because: cause i aint no english major

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
This is setting a precedent for future "common law".

Health Canada inspectors and police no longer require a warrant to enter private property in Canada. Under this new law, police and Health Canada inspectors can remove anything from a home, and not have to report what was taken to the local court.

Article
edit on 19/12/2010 by InnerTruths because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Yipes. You guys gonna let that sh** pass?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Quick Canadians, while you still can, protest and riot!

Don't do like we do here in the USA, don't lay down and roll over and take it!

Closer and closer we come to creating the NAU.. I am worried.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Canadians...listen up!

The time is *now*..this is happening to you *now*, not some 'what if' scenario, but actual reality, now!

Are you all just going to meekly accept this outrageousness without even so much as a whimper?

Your leaders are trying it on, and expect you all to simply go along with what they tell you to...are they right to expect that you will?

What next...they pass a bill that every first born has to be sacrificed and put to death? Will you quietly go along with that criminal bill too?

As for spreading to other commonwealth countries, the British government *seriously* doesn't want to try that crap over here...if the think the protests over student fee's were a problem, they'll have a very big shock indeed coming to them, it would be literal anarchy in the streets over here!

Seriously, don't accept this crap, unless you really want to live and bring your kids up in a fascist, totalitarian state, then simply do or say nothing.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
This is absolutely mind-boggling! What in the world is happening here? I would be interested to see the direct linkages between policies in the U.S. and Mexico so we could get a better idea of whether or not this NAU thing is valid, and if so,how far along it has progressed. What would be more interesting is to find what this is all really about.

It looks like the changes in Canada have been coming fast and hard over the last few years and not necessarily for the better as far as the average citizen is concerned. Very worrisome,indeed.

Seems like more and more laws and regulations are being passed under right under people noses and it's not just America or Canada where this happening either. It's pretty easy to do I guess when people are too distracted with things like finding work,paying debts and having to try to stay healthy in this harsh,'profits-first' Global Corporatocracy we're living in.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Holy crap!!!

I don't really know what to say further...

Canada's getting "hosed."

These creeps ain't just stealing gas...

BUMP!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
WOW! Sounds like Canada has its own Patriot Act. OUCH!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Welcome to the party. This NAU thing is growing by leaps and bounds. I had heard nothing about these developments before today. Canadians and Americans are brothers and sisters with a long shared history. Time to stand up together now or we shall fall separately.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Yes very bad news, first time I've heard about this also. Agendas seem to be moving ahead very fast these days. I recently sent an email to my MLA asking him to support Bill C-474 and here's what he said:

"Dear Colin Mayes, MP
I am writing to ask you to vote in support of Private Members Bill C-474
in order to protect Canada’s family farms.

Bill C-474 would support Canadian farmers by requiring that “an analysis
of potential harm to export markets be conducted before the sale of any new
genetically engineered seed is permitted.”

This Bill is important because the introduction of new genetically
engineered (GE) crops can cause economic hardship to farmers. It is
imperative that our government assesses the possible export market impact
of introducing new GE seeds. Bill C-474 would simply require the federal
government to conduct such an economic analysis."

Thank you for the email. The Government of Canada notes the concerns raised and understands the need to maintain market access for Canadian seed and crops, and to protect the economic interests of Canadian farmers.

Our government recognizes that long-term success in agriculture has depended and continues to depend on the sector's ability to innovate. New products and technologies, including those involving genetic engineering, serve a variety of purposes and provide significant benefits for Canadians, the economy and the environment.

Our government opposes C-474, which does not accomplish what it purports to, but which instead would add an extra layer of red tape that has the potential to stifle innovation.

For our government, safety comes first with all foods, including those derived through biotechnology. It is important to maintain our rigorous, science-based assessment process to protect human and animal health and the environment while benefiting from the advances brought by new biotechnologies.

Canada's science-based regulations conform to World Trade Organization rules governing trade and place Canada on a level playing field with key international trading partners. Adding market impact analysis to the existing approval process would not only add an extra layer of red tape, but, in fact, would also hinder Canada's market access.

Our government believes that industry is best positioned to make market-based decisions regarding the commercialization of products approved as safe for food, feed and the environment.

Market impact is an important issue and one in which the full value chain should be engaged. Commodity groups such as canola and soybean have enjoyed tremendous success by working collaboratively, from product developer, to grower, to seed supplier, to grain handler, toward ensuring that segregation strategies are in place or importing markets are secured before approvals for any new technology.

Once again, thank you for bring your views to my attention.

MP Colin Mayes

Basically sounds like I'm not part of "our government". Safety comes first but they oppose an analysis to be done??? Between these 2 bills(C-36 being passed and C-474 being opposed) it seems very likely our natural foods are on their way out and GM foods will continue to flood markets untested.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
A few years ago I read about this possiblity happening, although I must admit I thought this would happen to usa before canda. Yes be fearful canda. Also us americans you think we are void from this?I will call The friend who sent me the link to this type depopulation and land control to beable to share with you all. There is a map for america that outlines which lands will be taken, where the people will be placed, and who gets to live. I know all the texas, borders inward for several hundred miles will be taken from us. He gave me this link because I had recently bought my first home ona beautiful acre 5 minute walk from a border reservoiur/lake. He basically told me I just waisted my time and money as it wont be mine long enough to leave it to my children.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Have the courts made any comments on this new bill as it does introduce some conflicts with the law?

It does tighten up some industry responsibilities, good. Reduces personal privacy, bad. Lack of legal over site in relation to warrants, fines and seizures, very bad as the courts are there for a reason. Admittedly the legal process does have some problems, but replacing it all at the discretion of a single minister can be extremely problematic.

Also find it very concerning with a lack of public debate on new legislation. If this was put through on the quite in the late of night it does present in the atmosphere of emergency procedures or sinister motives.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
WTF!
The goverment of canada declares war on its own people!
It is long past time toi fight the corporate coup of our respective goverments.
I have been harping on this for a fair long time, but i havent yet to meet one other person who is willing to fight back.
We need to organise!
By that i mean just about every special interest group in the whole damn country is in grave danger of being marginalised through the various porivisions of C36.
Imagine your local gun range being confiscated....without any legal recourse of court intervention? no chance for the membership to even fight a court battle over it....just gone....
This is how they will gain control of every facility,asset or advantage any group of ordinary people could muster to ward off the comming of totalitarianism!
I find it extremely ironic that the very threat of such totalitarian goverment is comming from the very countries which have historically represented freedom to the world.
We have been betrayed by our own representatives! They have sold out lock stock and barrel to corporate interests!
If we have any chance at all of keeping our liberty, we have to get on the move now!
Dissemination of the means to successfully defeating a determined bid for martial law or further goverment inroads to our personal liberty is imperative!
The idea that we can peacefully resist such usurpation of our rights and freedoms is fast becomming a historical
annecdote.
Where is the underground?What is being done in the name of resisting tyranny?
It cheers me up some to understand that the Christian right wing is not only armed, but also organised to some extent.Even the gangs could become the nucleaus of a fierce resistance if we could reach out to them.
Somehow, without finding ourselves running afoul of the new and highly restrictive laws,must find a way to unite, and organise the fight for our very existance as human beings.!!!!!
The day is comming sooner than anyone expects.We will loose all our liberty to the corporations who control the people we expect will represent our best interests.
The goverment has ceased to be effective in controlling the corporatocracy which has siezed power from the people, in the name of corporate profits.
Fight now or regret not doing so later.....................!Give me liberty or give me death! The lines are drawn....
We will now find out just how firmly the people believe in freedom.(and themselves)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This also explains the Mexico US border not being secured like it should be and the new focus on the Mexico/Guatemalan border as the place to stop the trafficking problem. It is counter to the SPP/NAU plan to seal the borders of Mexico/US/Canada.

Back on topic about Canada's new law. It is going right along the same methods the US is using to bypass the Constitution, Soverignty, and law. Making laws where the federal government has unregulated powers. In the US, it has come down to assasinating American citizens if the President so chooses to put you on the list, searching homes, businesses, and perssons without any warrants. Even breaking in and conducting searches and leaving without telling the owners who was there. That is a scary prospect because it gives them the opportunity to plant whatever evidence of crime they want and then return later, discover it, and arrest the people and put them away for as long as they desire without Due Process of Law. Being held indefininately and nothing you can do about it. I really thought Canada would remain as they were. After all, there isn't any real problems with terrorism, etc in Canada that I am aware of. I would think this is in preparation for when they force the NAU on Canada they want to be able to shut down any protestors, take their property, and stick them in a deep dark hole to not be heard from again or at least a very long time.

It is the in your face attitude of the federal governments basically saying there isn't anything you can do about it, and if you try your life will be ruined beyond your wildest imagination. Also, I think the laws statements about the safety of items and being confiscated if they are determinded to be dangerous is a direct threat to taking the firearms of the people. Something the US will try and incorporate I'm sure. It is a very uncertain future of our respective countries for sure. I hope the Canadian Citizens do more to protest and try to change these things than the US citizens seem to be doing. By the time it gets bad enough to cause the majority off their couches to protest or revolt, it will be far too late to change anything. You have a window of opportunity to stop it at it's conception and birth, and if you don't the monster will grow to proportions that the citizens will not be able to do anything about. Just like all the prision/internment camps in the US. Had they been exposed to the general public early when only one or two were being built we may have been able to stop it. Now with 600+ camps built and ready for operations, those that could have stopped it early on, now have a space reserved for them if they try and stop it now. I really hope the Canadian citizens don't lay back and let it get too far down the road to stop. As far as Mexico goes, well I don't know what they are going to do about the well armed cartels raising all heck down there. The US can't open the border fully because they would come directly into the US. But wait, then they would have an excuse for Martial Law. So, maybe that is why the USG isn't doing its best to seal the border.

Very upsetting the direction the future or our Soverignty looks like it is going in.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join