It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

oh okay. fair enough. did you read the link in the op's post? some of these ladies are getting breast reduction surgery so they can be assured they got promoted due to their intellect, to circumvent gossip based on their appearance as regards promotions and to assure they don't get passed over for promotions due to their appearance. (because the new trend is penalizing women who are either too sexy looking or inappropriately dressed, which skirts the same line as inherently obscene body types).

the whole "use your sexual power to get ahead in the business world" thing, has backfired big time. and now naturally sexy women, whether covered or showing some cleavage, are viewed suspiciously by co workers and employers (the op herself, seems to view this as a right, and at one time, it would've been less of an issue, but today, people are weary and gun shy).

and the whole thing could be alleviated if we didn't feel as if beautiful breasts were these horrible sexual objects, bent on messing up our lives.
edit on 19-12-2010 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

OK, are we coming to an agreement here? Because you didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. I'm just saying, keep it discreet. You're not going to kill a feeding child by throwing a blanket over your shoulder. That's too much to ask for?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by KilgoreTrout

OK, are we coming to an agreement here? Because you didn't tell me anything that I didn't already know. I'm just saying, keep it discreet. You're not going to kill a feeding child by throwing a blanket over your shoulder. That's too much to ask for?

For some it is yes, and I respect that. I used to swathe myself, I don't enjoy attention at the best of times and am usually very modest, but to each his own. I personally don't see why anyone should have a problem with it, but if you do, you don't have to look. Your choice, as much as there's. Why should they be embarassed just because you are? Personally if I see a nursing mother I stare, with envy and broodiness...there is nothing more beautiful to my eyes, and I don't understand why some men, mostly it seems in the UK and North America, can't see that too, they just see the 'fun bags' and not the whole scene. Shame.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilgoreTrout
For some it is yes, and I respect that. I used to swathe myself, I don't enjoy attention at the best of times and am usually very modest, but to each his own. I personally don't see why anyone should have a problem with it, but if you do, you don't have to look. Your choice, as much as there's. Why should they be embarassed just because you are? Personally if I see a nursing mother I stare, with envy and broodiness...there is nothing more beautiful to my eyes, and I don't understand why some men, mostly it seems in the UK and North America, can't see that too, they just see the 'fun bags' and not the whole scene. Shame.

We are not talking about nursing mothers we are talking about a business and how dress sense reflects upon that business. As for not looking well that would require some kind of ability to predict the future, if i turn around and a woman has cleavage out then my peripheral vision is going to pick that up, i would need advanced warning not to turn around to avoid seeing it, now it doesn't bother me at all personally speaking however it does reflect on a a business.

This thread is specifically about cleavage in the workplace, it's not about outside work, it's not about nursing mothers, it's business.

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

i think i'll just refrain from responding to your posts in this thread from now on, as i believe you are using this opportunity to harrass the ladies in the thread who disagree with you, no matter how insignificantly. for example, it's been documented, probably millions of times now, that sexual harrassment of beautiful , particularly breasty women, has been a problem for a very long time, but you're not willing to concede any of it. as a result, i believe you are trolling me.

Sorry but that's an unfair comment i am not harrassing anynoe i am simply disagreeing and to say i am singling out women for harrassment is a tactic to disregard what i say, man or woman if they support this idea that you can wear whatever you want in the workplace then i'll disagree with them.
edit on 19-12-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
My two cents: It depends on what kind of job you have, but still, I think showing much cleavage at work is absurd.

You are there to do your job, not to desplay your femininity.

As I am a 'well endowed' woman, I learned early that I wouldn't be taken seriously if I walked around with my # hanging out.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Do I get to show off two inches of my penis? Or two inches of my ass cleavage? Because I really want the girls with their cleavage to look at my penis while I look at their breasts while I'm supposed to be working. /sarcasm off
Show off your cleavage all you want, I doubt any guys mind.

I would like to thank the guy who managed to brainwash all these women into showing off their bodies. In fifty years we went from not being able to show off legs, belly or cleavage, to now women walk around in bikinis like it's nothing. Excellent job of brainwashing if I do say so myself. "We choose to dress like sluts." -women
Keep telling yourselves that, there's no way effective propaganda has been used on us.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I'm all for women showing there cleavage just dont complain if my eyes wander. There eye magnets you cant fight the forces of nature.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ickyuck

don't know about the op, i tend to agree with you, there's no reason to show them off at work. my issue is that some women have such voluptuous figures that they are assumed to be showing them off even when they aren't. and my second point is that it's a projection problem which we could learn to rise above, and my final point is that due to the first two points, some professional women actually feel compelled to have them surgically downgraded so they can personally be treated fairly and humanely in the work place, especially as the op's link indicates that women who are sexy or are dressed inappropriately, are getting passed over for promotions. as another article i posted points out, there's also a matter of extremes, as regards body types, with slender women being considered less slutty than breastier counterparts.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Perhaps you could show me what this mystical large breasted creature that is incapable of wearing a shirt that doesn't show cleavage looks like?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

women with very round breasts have decolletage problems. their cleavage may start at their collar bone. large breasts can turn an ordinarily, decently modest shirt, into an advert for boobs r' us. larger sizes, sometimes do not help as large breasts can be both very round and very protruding, as well, meaning you ain't hiding those honkers. they are not going to go away unless you have them reduced, surgically. since they are a normally natural part of the woman's anatomy, the weirdness people seem to have about them, is disturbing. it's like we've suddenly got a third arm protruding from our left elbows if our breasts are larger than an apple

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Brood

women with very round breasts have decolletage problems. their cleavage may start at their collar bone. large breasts can turn an ordinarily, decently modest shirt, into an advert for boobs r' us. larger sizes, sometimes do not help as large breasts can be both very round and very protruding, as well, meaning you ain't hiding those honkers. they are not going to go away unless you have them reduced, surgically. since they are a normally natural part of the woman's anatomy, the weirdness people seem to have about them, is disturbing. it's like we've suddenly got a third arm protruding from our left elbows if our breasts are larger than an apple

Enough with the excuses. Yes - one can have a breast reduction.

There are no excuses in today's world. There are many sites on the Net where you can buy minimizing bras - - even sites that specially design individual bras.

There are many new designs in active sportswear - - different fabrics that can be worn under blouses to avoid excessive cleavage.

I personally - - never wore button down shirts. I prefer dresses. Which can be tailored to fit properly.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

what i'm noticing in this thread is alot of people who want women exclusively, to consider the comfort of others, while demanding that women, exclusively, go to great lengths and great expense (and in some cases, life threatening surgeries) to make sure everyone is comfortable with the natural attributes of women, exclusively.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigrex

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Originally posted by bigrex
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I need to resize it, i thought it was smaller, you need to scroll over to see the girl and her cleavage

I saw it. Please? What does it have to do with this topic? An advert for a game vs. proper attire for a professional workplace?

She's showing cleavage is she not, I can remove it if you so require.

Ummmm, you call that cleavage? Did I miss something. Maybe find a better pic. From my experience, she would have to button/snap a couple of buttons. I forgot to add that she looks half undressed.
edit on 19-12-2010 by Mystery_Lady because: Forgot to add...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Not at all, actually. More than one poster has talked about how men generally have to wear at least a shirt and tie in the office. Why on earth should a woman be allowed to show up to work "showcasing her best assets"? Both men and women should dress professionally while at work. If a woman wants to "showcase" after work, more power to her.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

What will it be then show your cleavage proudly and expect men not to notice said large breasts and If they do call them sexist perverts etc or Instate a policy to cover cleavage then call the men sexist and controlling. Pick a card and play it...Next....

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrancoUn-American
reply to post by hotbakedtater

What will it be then show your cleavage proudly and expect men not to notice said large breasts and If they do call them sexist perverts etc or Instate a policy to cover cleavage then call the men sexist and controlling. Pick a card and play it...Next....
Read my posts, I don't know what you are talking about. Pick a card and play it? Again, we have a poster likening this to a game. I am debating a topic, not playing cards. My stance has been the same since this thread opened, and it is not my problem some posters have trouble with reading comprehension.

Please quote where I stated men not to notice large breasts.

And where I said they were perverts for noticing them, thank you.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   

reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

so make up your mind. either the problem is attractive women with large breasts are automatically considered iinherently obscene as this case indicates, or the bankers are all liars. which is it?

oh wait, nevermind! you think they are all liars. she lied and they lied too. another one of those "canceling each other out" moments.

And perhaps she lied and her boss told the truth and her body never was the problem.
See, it's quite simple really.
Why would you even bring up the doubtful story of a narcisist in the thread?

reply to post by gimmefootball400

do you think women who are large breasted should seriously consider having breast reduction surgery so they can fit into the "professional" mold that's being cultivated in this thread? HOW serious does a woman have to be to keep her job? would YOU get a body part cut off to keep a job?

Well this girl has no aversion to breast surgery.
She's had them augmented at least twice, and had other plastic surgery as well in her quest to look like a playboy bunny.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

This is my favourite thread. I was picked on for years for my flat chest (poached or fried?) and got knocked back so many times by lads at school because of my lack of chestiness compared to my peers. I could wear a v-neck cut down to my navel and still not show any cleavage...but I certainly don't hold it against those that nature blessed more amply because their cleavage starts somewhere under their chin.

Ahh, the joys of schadenfreude.

I was still in training bras when I was 6 months pregnant.

However I loved the freedom of not having to worry about bras and bouncy bits.

Funnily enough, mine grew, to my annoyance, once I got the internet. I guess they must be contagious.

Originally posted by intrepid

The amount of guys who will go out of their way to cop a look at a breast feeding mother is astounding!

It sure is. I dealt with this about 4 months ago. My thought was 2 fold. 1- "Why do I have to be present during this?" 2- "Dude, you're her husband, why are you putting us through this?" That said I have 3 kids myself but I would have kicked my wife's ass if she was just going to float the puppies out there for anyone to see. Decorum, not just for the 21st century anymore. I don't care that it's natural. Taking a dump is too but I don't want to see someone doing it.

That is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard! Uggghhh! Seriously, I want to vomit at your...I have no words...

Feeding the baby is a sacred duty, imo. People who confuse dumping and drinking confuse me.
I always threw a silk scarf over in public, but if a woman wants to let it all hang out at that time, that's her right.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kailassa

i think you're confusing two different articles. one is the lady that worked at the bank, who i wasn't referring to in the second part of your quote, which was about the lane bryant article. the lane bryant lady who wrote a op-ed about her experiences at a house party, the commentary made by her counterparts regarding the appearance of a breasty woman wearing a v-neck with cleavage....at a party and how it seemed to suggest that it wasn't the clothing that was the problem but the body type, which was characterized as an inherently obscene body type.

the bigger the breasts, the more attention they get, regardless of how well they are covered. just the fact they exist, causes trouble. showing cleavage of such breasts, accentuates it even more, creating a startling effect that shocks the viewer no matter what venue they appear in, proving that the issue is internal, in the viewer, not exterior on the woman. otherwise, we have to assume sexy hair needs to be cut and covered. sexy necks covered, sexy buttocks (even while already in slacks), covered with even greater lengths of fabric, and pretty soon, the lady has become the invisible woman, having been consumed by her own clothing

edit on 19-12-2010 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

what i'm noticing in this thread is alot of people who want women exclusively, to consider the comfort of others, while demanding that women, exclusively, go to great lengths and great expense (and in some cases, life threatening surgeries) to make sure everyone is comfortable with the natural attributes of women, exclusively.

Obviously - I am a woman.

And I have been through the corporate world.

Hear this: THERE IS NO GENDER IN CORPORATE

Edit: I have never suggested women have surgery. However - it is an option of choice.
edit on 19-12-2010 by Annee because: spelling

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join