It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 38
<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by Annee

Hey you just raised a rather brilliant point about tattoos.

When i was driving to various offices doing computer support i once got talking to a guy while i was fixing something, just general chat to pass the time while he was waiting for me to be done. Anyway in the course of it i discovered he was wearing makeup, this wasn't a secret everyone knew and the reason he did it was because he had a tattoo on his face. He had a lot of trouble finding work because of it and so had to cover it to get a decent paying job.

Now a tattoo is hardly offensive or sexual, it wasnt a rude tattoo or anything like that but to be taken seriously he had to cover it. So why are women so upset about covering their breasts when this guy was covering a tattoo he really liked?

I am not upset about covering my breasts. I get it!

And even if you have gigantuan breasts - - its all about your own attitude. Just like if a new Hot Guy joins the office. Of course you are going to notice and stare at first - - but it all depends on how HE handles himself. He can react and "eat up" the attention - - or he can make it clear he is seriously there to do his job.

Once he establishes himself - - that he is there to work - - the attention is going to wane.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I think if you want to showcase your boobs like that, than your boss has every right to judge you how he sees fit, that's the problem with Woman mainly in America, they all exploit there looks and body parts to persuade man, and your statement about showcasing proves it....

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama

I think if you want to showcase your boobs like that, than your boss has every right to judge you how he sees fit, that's the problem with Woman mainly in America, they all exploit there looks and body parts to persuade man, and your statement about showcasing proves it....
My statement proves what? I do not do anything to persuade man, anything I choose to do I do for myself. Explain your statement you attribute to me personally. Why are you debating me and not the topic?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Mainly in America? Are you serious?

America is actually a rather sexually repressed country. Ever watched Mexican TV? I don't know about Europe - - but I some how think women exploit their sexuality there too.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

My statement proves what? I do not do anything to persuade man, anything I choose to do I do for myself. Explain your statement you attribute to me personally. Why are you debating me and not the topic?

You choose to do for yourself? You choose to show your breasts for yourself?

No - you don't. That is such a denial statement.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I am not upset about covering my breasts. I get it!

And even if you have gigantuan breasts - - its all about your own attitude. Just like if a new Hot Guy joins the office. Of course you are going to notice and stare at first - - but it all depends on how HE handles himself. He can react and "eat up" the attention - - or he can make it clear he is seriously there to do his job.

Once he establishes himself - - that he is there to work - - the attention is going to wane.

You're right Annee i apologise i know you are not upset about covering them at work i was just talking about the attitude of some women in the thread, i shouldn't have generalised.

You are correct about attitude to a point however when a business has to deal with new people often, whether they are clients or people they are working with then attitude won't cover innapropriate dress sense or like you mentioned tattoos.

Oh and actually i forgot to make something clear in this thread. I wish we lived in a world where people could wear whatever they like at work and not be judged, however this just isn't the case. In peoples personal lives they get judged on what they wear, it's pathetic but it happens and at work this is simply amplified.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Yes I do, you do not know my intentions. I do not date and I am celibate, I am also an old woman. I am no longer in the insecure, I dress for others stage of my life. I am in the crone stage, and it is empowering to be myself for myself.

Please provide proof of your statements, as you debate me personally and not the topic.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Personally, here is how I feel. Being asked to cover up my cleavage, when the office does not require uniforms, is oppressive, and a conspiracy against women.

I know this is not going to go over well, but I am going to ask anyway. (for the record, I do not care what people wear to work...it is a place where I slave my time...so distractions are welcome in any form)

OK, trying not to be mean here, I just simply have an honest question. If you like showcasing your best assets, do you get offended if people notice them? (if this has already been covered below, I am sorry...new to this thread)

The reason I ask, is because my office used to have a few people that were of this belief...and then one of them started a suit against someone that happened to take notice...now, I do not know what type of noticing this person was doing, so I cannot comment on that...

Anyway, my point, is if someone is going to showcase any portion of themselves, should they not be ready for all kinds of attention?

OK, like I said, not trying to offend, just want an honest answer

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Oh and actually i forgot to make something clear in this thread. I wish we lived in a world where people could wear whatever they like at work and not be judged, however this just isn't the case. In peoples personal lives they get judged on what they wear, it's pathetic but it happens and at work this is simply amplified.

Its OK - I thought you were generalizing. I just answered for me.

Let's face it - - we are sexual mammals - - we are not non-sexual robots.

Everything is about your own personal attitude and how you handle situations. It is up to you to put the other person at ease and establish your own credibility.

How is it any different then a man who is over weight proving his value to a client?

I realize we are a Look oriented world (whether one wants to admit it or not). A person is judged in the first 3 seconds of meeting.

After a first initial meeting - - it is up to you to prove your value. You have already been judged.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Yes I do, you do not know my intentions. I do not date and I am celibate, I am also an old woman. I am no longer in the insecure, I dress for others stage of my life. I am in the crone stage, and it is empowering to be myself for myself.

Please provide proof of your statements, as you debate me personally and not the topic.

Oh give me a break. My comment was about the topic - - as the topic is about your breasts - - and you showing them off.

Well then - - as one cronie to another (with doubt) - - I am 64 - - I still say you are in denial of why you insist on showing off your breasts.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

No I do not get offended if people look at me. I do get offended if I am being sexually harrassed or leered at.

Everyone looks at each other, we all are curious. But MOST of us (save for several posters in this thread who have no self control because they claim to be male) can control ourselves, and not make spectacles of ourselves.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

No I do not get offended if people look at me. I do get offended if I am being sexually harrassed or leered at.

Sorry but if you wear low cut tops then you must know people will look, it's not harrassment or leering, peoples brains are wired, genetically to look at things they find attractive. You can say "oh they should control themselves" but it's impossible to control a hardwired, neurological function. They will look and the control then kicks in to look away and not get too excited.

This goes for women as well btw, don't make out it's all men because i've seen grown women turn into giggling, blushing, flushed girls just because a guy has looked in their direction.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

This isn't explaining their incapacity to wear a turtleneck instead of a v-neck under their blazer.

It also isn't explaining how this is rule isn't fair based on gender-specifics.

I'm sorry, I had a part-time job tailoring at a store called "Stitch-It" for 7 years, and I never once had a woman come in and ask to have something tailored because their boobs are so big that they make the otherwise modest shirt look slutty at work. By the way, tailoring a shirt for such can be as little as 4 stitches and $2.50 so I don't see how this is a crazy issue of oppression and discrimination even if this is an apparent "problem" to some. Men with size 24 shoes aren't exempt from wearing socks and shoes at work, they are expected to have their dress shoes imported from custom designers and pay upwards of 300% on the items. But $2.50 tailoring jobs.... is female oppression...

Having abnormally large body parts that must be considered when accommodating a dress code is not a gender-specific problem and it makes me sick that the militant pseudo-feminists are attacking it as if it is a conspiracy agaisnt women. You're both 100% incorrect, give up.
edit on 20-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It is immature for a woman to display her cleavage in a professional work setting. Men aren't wearing short-shorts to display their moose knuckles, you know. Private parts are supposed to be kept private.
edit on 20-12-2010 by quantum_flux because: .

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

Clearly you are a misogynist for suggesting women wear clothes that cover their private areas at work. Stop trying to oppress women.

(Obvious sarcasm).

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

I have asthma, and I cannot wear turtlenecks, they constrict my windpipe. I get the feeling I cannot breathe in one. I was also choked by someone as a young girl, and this too contributes to not being able to wear turtlenecks or clothes that come around my neck.

But I should just get over all that and cover my puppies up, because some men cannot contain themselves. OK.

Not all women are going to be comfortable in a turtleneck. Especially fat women, who have double or triple chins, turtlenecks look hideous them.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Sorry but if you wear low cut tops then you must know people will look, it's not harrassment or leering, peoples brains are wired, genetically to look at things they find attractive. You can say "oh they should control themselves" but it's impossible to control a hardwired, neurological function. They will look and the control then kicks in to look away and not get too excited.

This goes for women as well btw, don't make out it's all men because i've seen grown women turn into giggling, blushing, flushed girls just because a guy has looked in their direction.

I wonder what it would take for a woman to sexually harass a man with her eyes? "Leering" at his biceps? Groin? Butt? Good thing we're wearing clothes that cover these areas while we are at work so we don't have to deal with the natural compulsion to look at such areas.

Too bad it's all clearly a conspiracy against men.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brood

I wonder what it would take for a woman to sexually harass a man with her eyes? "Leering" at his biceps? Groin? Butt? Good thing we're wearing clothes that cover these areas while we are at work so we don't have to deal with the natural compulsion to look at such areas.

Too bad it's all clearly a conspiracy against men.
It is? Pleas explain how anything in the OP is a conspiracy against men. It is clearly a conspiracy against women, by men with no self control.

link   

reply to post by Brood

I have asthma, and I cannot wear turtlenecks, they constrict my windpipe. I get the feeling I cannot breathe in one. I was also choked by someone as a young girl, and this too contributes to not being able to wear turtlenecks or clothes that come around my neck.

But I should just get over all that and cover my puppies up, because some men cannot contain themselves. OK.

No, you should stop insulting women's rights movements by pretending that this is female oppression.

I had abdominal distress from colorectal cancer. For several months wearing pants was absolute torture. I still worked and wore them because there are parts of my body that reside beneath my pants that would be rather unprofessional to show at work. Surely this is a conspiracy against men: pants in the workplace?

Not all women are going to be comfortable in a turtleneck. Especially fat women, who have double or triple chins, turtlenecks look hideous them.

NOOOO, not look hideous!?! At work!!?!? That's awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!1!!1! I couldn't imagine what it must feel like to be forced to wear something ugly at work!!! THOSE POOR WOMEN!?!!!!1!!1!!!

Seriously... you type of women need to get your professional priorities straight if you truly want to see equality in average wages among genders.

edit on 20-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

link   
Are you looking for a promotion at work HotBakedTater? Bosses always try to keep those types of employees down anyhow.
edit on 20-12-2010 by quantum_flux because: .

new topics

top topics

<< 35  36  37    39  40  41 >>

join