It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
It was an in general opinion, not an actually happened statement.
Haven't you ever debated before?

No sorry tater you specifically mentioned you yourself wearing clothes at work that show cleavage and you went on to say your cleavage is your best asset and you want to show it, it wasn't a general opinion.

And thanks for letting everyone on ATS that you are in my thread merely to play a game with me, by saying you see a target on my head (violent much?) and thus you are merely here to take shots at me.

You're getting desperate and it's a pattern i have seen many times on your threads, even when i haven't replied to them you start attacking people and painting them as any number of things without any basis. Saying someone has a target painted on them that invites debate is the opposite of violence as it involves words not actions. And i'm not here to play games tater, i'm here to debate simply because i enjoy discussion itself. This has nothing to do with you at all but it's interesting to see how you twist it.

I have never said the words NOT FAIR, try reading my posts. Is there anything indicative inside any of them that screams NOT FAIR? When I take a position in a debate (not a personal attack fest) I defend that position. That is what I am doing.

When you state that women should be allowed to show their cleavage without consequence then you are implying it is unfair that they are penalised for doing so.

I will need to see a quote where I uttered the words not fair, please. Otherwise, yes I am right you are trolling me.

Again it is implicit in your thread when you say things like:

I find it disgusting that some bosses overlook some females just because they show cleavage. I think that reflects the perversion of thought in the boss's own mind, personally.

People need to get over cleavage already! ALL women have breasts, (well, most do), and it should be MY choice how I want to dress or display my cleavage.

Men must be very frightnened of the power of the breast if they are passing cleavage minded woemn over for promotions, simply due to cleavage baring!!

So by saying all of this you are implying that is is wrong (unfair) that women can't show their cleavage without it affecting their careers.

edit on 19-12-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: Changed the word feature to asset

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

And we wonder why there are so man stupid dad commercials. It is to cater to the likes of the posters we find in these threads.

And you wonder why women get paid less on average than men while you sit here arguing about which outfits and adornments you can poop onto your body and show off at work. If I was your manager I would tell you to shut up, put a shirt on, stop trolling conspiracy forums and get the hell back to work if you want a promotion! This rule applies regardless of whether or not you have a vulva and a labia.
edit on 19-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

You are living in a narcissistic web/fantasy land. You appear very young, so you might grow out of it. But you might want to see outside of your looking glass if you want to see a reality that even remotely resembles the "real" thing. You just know everybody's motivations don't you? You have rules in your head of how all the others should relate to you. Maybe they have rules in their head about how you should relate to them? Like not wearing a booby shirt at work. Not everything revolves around you, sweety. Everyone has biases about how their environment should be. Yours do not take precedence. If you can behave however you want, showing boobies, then they can snub you for wearing booby shirts. See, everybody is liberated to behave as they wish in this neat little scenario. Maybe the situations in your bubble that make you think of misogyny just boil down to a general revulsion of your behavior and expectations. It is quite possible these experiences in your life have little to do with your anatomy.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

This is what you wrote in your OP:

Many of my shirts are V cut, because I enjoy showcasing my best assetts

Showcasing....showing off. What is the difference?
You say show off I say show case, semantics. So what if someone wants to show off their cleavage? I say if you are being passed over for a promotion due to cleavage, one, the morons you work for let you get away with it, so by precedent they have no case. And two it is disgusting that someone (boss) allows cleavage to be the deciding factor. How telling of that persons perversion level.

Im really taken back. Did you ever think that if someone is allegedly passed over for purposely showcasing cleavage - that it is not about the cleavage per say but about the character and mentality and professionalism of the person instead? How professional and mature is someone who has the attitude "I should be able to do and wear whatever I want while working for this private company!!" How professional and mature is someone who has such low self esteem in regards to their work ability and personality and brains that they feel the need to showcase their physical attributes? I would believe that much more comes into play for promotion than how someone dresses. Someone with the attitude of "me me me me me" and "look at me look at me look at me" more than likely does not have the attributes that would garner a promotion.

Just sayn'.....

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Well despite your anti-man rant, there are plenty of women posting in this thread who completely disagree with you.

I actually agree with you regarding men taking responsibility when having sex and getting a woman pregnant; I simply disagree with you in this thread.
edit on 19-12-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

Well despite your anti-man rant, there are plenty of women posting in this thread who completely disagree with you.

Um, those women clearly just hate women in general. Anti-visiboobs = female oppression. Men hate women because they have boobs, promise.

edit on 19-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Again, nobody should be flaunting their assets at work. Work is a professional environment. A dude coming in to work wearing a pair of pants that showed off his penis would be treated in exactly the same manner, if not worse. It's got nothing to do with sexism, it's just that men don't tend to wear this kind of thing at work. Maybe other people feel oppressed by the constant display of boobs? Maybe it's everyone's responsibility to make the work environment as professional as possible? Fancy that. I've worked with plenty of large breasted women who were perfectly capable of wearing a shirt that didn't spill the puppies all over the place. Would you feel the same way about someone walking around work in a pair of hot pants that let half their butt hang out? Jeez.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
WARNING! OFFENSIVE CONTENT OF WOMEN BEING OPPRESSED BY MISOGYNISTIC MEN IN THE WORKPLACE:

Kudos to this woman for denying oppression in the workplace -- DANGER, this may get sticky!:

Now that you're done ogling.... get back to work!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Um why in the world is a boss allowing low cut shirts if he refuses to promote on that basis? Why are you saying a hooters shirt, none of my v necks are nasty looking or over the top, cleavage does not equal Hooters. Your scenerio is nonsense. If v necks are a problem, it needs to be stated exactly in the dress code. If not, then the boss needs to shut the hell up.

Did you really say, "Cleavage does not equal Hooters?" (Look up in case you forgot) I think you may be VERY young indeed if you truly believe this. This about the bar, think about how the women dress. What is the main way the "assets" of the women are being "showcased?" BY SHOWING CLEAVAGE AND WEARING FORM-FITTING CLOTHING! Is that hard to understand? For you, it must be.

Look at the pictures Brood posted, the first three look like "normal" business women. The last is a joke, but I promise that if she popped into my work I would lose focus for a few moments. Then, its back to work, throwing out sidelong glances. See the problem, SHE is the distraction in this case by the obvious display of cleavage. I understand this is just a faux-picture for some ad. but it displays what is in EVERY males mind.

And to say that is a sexist way of viewing women, I say you are a moron that does not understand the neurological patterns in which the male brain works. I'm not making this up, and any straight male will tell you the same. (Unless they have been forced into a completely subservient position by their significant other, which is agro-feminism and not equality)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I've said it before on here and I'm going to say it once again.

Not only is it up to the employee to adhere to a companies' dress code. It is also up to that said company to enforce the dress code by whatever means are needed. If the said employee doesn't adhere to the dress code, then that comes back on the employee and can lead to termination if necessary. If the said comapny doesn't adhere to their own standards by enforcing the dress code, then the lack of enforcement of company policy will come back on whatever certain company this is.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

If the company doesn't have a dress code at all, then it is the employee's obligation as a professional to present themselves in a way which shows they have the desire and attitude at be promoted to a higher position.

I would not promote some one that dresses like a tramp, because she is going to be in a position in which others will also use her example to follow. Sure, dress like a hoe, that's fine and acceptable. If you want to be taken seriously in a professional field; however, you NEED to dress like a professional.

As my girlfriend said in regard to this topic just last night, "If you dress like a bimbo, then you are going to be treated like a bimbo." (Like I said, my girlfriend said that. A strong-willed, college educated woman. A marketing researcher. A real professional)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
...welpers, we're gettin nowhere with this one... reminds me of the old adage - you can drag a mule to water but you cant make it drink, unless you pour loosienanner hotsauce down its gullett...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

We need some hot sauce then! Time to force the mules to start drinking the waters of the enlightened.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of this,

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

if she's telling the truth, they didnt fire her because of her clothing, they fired her because of her body type, which is what i've been trying to explain this entire time. you can wear appropriate clothing and still end up being categorized as a "bimbo" just for having large breasts (and her case, long legs and a pretty face to boot).

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

1. We only have her claim, for all we know she's a complete liar looking for a payout.

2. Even if this is true it is no doubt a very rare occurence, i'm not saying that makes it right just that it's uncommon if someone dresses correctly they wlll be fired. If this is why she was fired then she deserves to be compensated.

3. Banking, that is still a very sexist business i'm afraid, but what do you expect from a profession that seems to attract arrogant, borderline sociopaths?
edit on 19-12-2010 by ImaginaryReality1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Your girlfriend has a very well made point.

If they choose not to dress appropriately as a professional way that shows that they have the desire and attitude to perform. Not only do you not need to be promoted but you do not need to be working where you are if you choose not to be a professional and dress like a professional. If I had the chance, I would not promote someone over another person just because the other person had some cleavage showing. If someone chooses to do that, then there is a strong possibility that they will use that to their advantage. I would rather promote someone that actually performs well and acts like a professional than I would someone who uses their looks to get around.

Again, if I have offended anybody. I apologize.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

so make up your mind. either the problem is attractive women with large breasts are automatically considered iinherently obscene as this case indicates, or the bankers are all liars. which is it?

oh wait, nevermind! you think they are all liars. she lied and they lied too. another one of those "canceling each other out" moments.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

do you think women who are large breasted should seriously consider having breast reduction surgery so they can fit into the "professional" mold that's being cultivated in this thread? HOW serious does a woman have to be to keep her job? would YOU get a body part cut off to keep a job?
edit on 19-12-2010 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

so make up your mind. either the problem is attractive women with large breasts are automatically considered iinherently obscene as this case indicates, or the bankers are all liars. which is it?

oh wait, nevermind! you think they are all liars. she lied and they lied too. another one of those "canceling each other out" moments.

Err no i am reserving judgement because there is not enough evidence, that is what a sensible person does, she might be lying, they might be lying so i won't make a decision until i have more data.

Oh and the options you have given me are not all of the options, the other option is that in one case the woman was singled out because she was good looking however you are extrapolating this to the rest of the working environment, which is of course stupid.

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join