It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Decriminalise all drugs, says ex-minister Bob Ainsworth

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. But if drugs were legalized here i'd be the first to bet we'd pay a lot lot more than any other country.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Lol.

I'm none of them...I'm from The Land Of The Pince Bishops, about 15miles down the road to the west of you.

I have a lot of good friends from your neck of the woods.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

They are probably the biggest products because they are addicting, don't you think?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   

So we've gone from 'Drugs will go up' to 'I'd be willing to bet drugs will go up'......

It's a start I guess...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   

the price or taxation of drugs is irrelevant.
the social gains of a bold and forward thinking policy like this is imesurable.
over night the legalization of drugs would sigle handedly take billions out of orgasised crime and redistribute it into the system.
the money could be used to treat hard drug users no long pushed deady substances by dealers only looking for profit. take away there market and they will dissapere . its simple supply and demand. give hard drugs through the state only on the premise the user attends treatment .
as i said before most adicts want to be free of adiction.

the coffee shop way like in the neterlands would create small busnes opertunitys and jobs in the uk.
regardless of price and taxation these bussneses would thrive . giving back to the community via new jobs and cannabis collectives like in some states in the usa and canada.

education not propiganda will ultimately do the best job in tackling drug use .

but untill then this would be a bold and brave move by the government and could ultimatly become a succesfull model for the rest of the world.
portugal has had remarkable success with a very simelar initiative.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Some people

I wouldnt bet if i wasnt sure, some of us just dont have the money to throw around. Kudos to you for that pityful attempt at getting the last word. People who live here will know where im coming from and will see im posting valid points, as for you......well your posts will tell just how NOT in the know you are.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Pakd-on-mystery

Yes...the biggest products in the world are addictive and that includes coffee. Cannabis is NOT addictive - you overdose on cannabis you fall asleep. Apart from those killed by the criminal fraternity there is an old adage that there is one recorded feath from cannabis - when 2 kilos fell from a very great hight and hit a guy on the head.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

You are referring to one small corner of the Earth as if the reality there is the reality the entire world experiences. Huh?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by blacklist

Im not saying there wouldnt be advantages to the legalization of drugs, im simply stating that it wouldnt solve all the problems associated with it. People need to start reading posts properly before they go correcting others.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

We allegedly pay more taxes to fund our free education system, Armed Forces and NHS, bit of a joke really considering current events!
It seems it now includes bailing out financiers who have got us in the current mess we are in.

I think this post pretty much nails it;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or as Einstein said;
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

And so i should be, this thread is about a british politician calling for drugs to be legalized in BRITAIN.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
reply to post by Pakd-on-mystery

Cannabis is NOT addictive - you overdose on cannabis you fall asleep. Apart from those killed by the criminal fraternity there is an old adage that there is one recorded feath from cannabis - when 2 kilos fell from a very great hight and hit a guy on the head.

Correct. In fact the LD50 (the dosage at which it becomes lethal for 50% of the test subjects) is roughly 1500 pounds consumed in under 15 minutes - an impossibility unless you are some sort of Whale or something....

en.wikipedia.org...

Toxicity

There has never been a documented human fatality from overdosing on tetrahydrocannabinol or cannabis. Information about THC's toxicity is derived from animal studies. The toxicity depends on the route of administration and the laboratory animal. Absorption is limited by serum lipids, which can become saturated with THC, mitigating toxicity. According to the Merck Index, 12th edition, THC has an LD50 (dose killing half of the research subjects) value of 1270 mg/kg (male rats) and 730 mg/kg (female rats) administered orally dissolved in sesame oil. The LD50 value for rats by inhalation of THC is 42 mg/kg of body weight. One estimate of THC's LD50 for humans indicates that about 1500 pounds (680 kilograms) of cannabis would have to be smoked within 14 minutes. This estimate is supported by studies which indicate that the effective dose of THC is at least 1000 times lower than the estimated lethal dose (a "therapeutic ratio" of 1000:1). This is much higher than alcohol (therapeutic ratio 10:1), coc aine (15:1), or heroin (6:1).

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I think the legalisation of drugs is a good idea.

In my opinion it would put a lot of drug dealers out of business and lead to better quality drugs.

so no more vinyl or dog # in cannabis resin, No wash powder or other crap in coc aine, et cetera

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Marijuana legalization should have been done a long time ago. It is natural. I have never in my life ever heard of anyone ever dyeing from it. I get a kick out of the people who call it dangerous but yet they go home and hammer down a 6 pack of beer or drink wine. People also say it is a gateway drug. That is one of the most ridiculous things i ever heard. I am living proof. Any other drug i have ever tried in my life was due to being under the influence of alcohol. How many lives has alcohol claimed worldwide?
In the U.S, pain pills have become an epidemic. I have friends i knew all of my life that are hooked on them now. They are getting them legally through a doctor. I have had 3 friends die in the past 4 years due to them. Its ok though that the doctors here are prescribing them out like candy killing people because they are legal. But yet it's not ok to smoke marijuana that is more harmless than any other drug known to man that does the same thing as a pain pill with 0% deathrate from it. (from marijuana itself)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

They dont come much rougher than the north east.
People from this neck of the woods take their holidays in baghdad for some peace and tranquillity.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Yes and i agreed to most of what was said in that post. I just dont agree with everyone thinking that legalizing drugs would get rid of the problems associated with it, they would still be there and no doubt other problems relating to the legalization alongside them.

I have already said im FOR legalization, just dont expect it to act like a miracle cure for the countries drug related problems.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

There is no great cure all.....at least not until we get away from the perception that all drug use is bad which the moral dictators seem to have been able to ingrain into society's psyche.

It is not the useage but rather the level, amount and control of the useage which is key!

T&C dictate that we / I may now be approaching dodgy areas even for an 'enlightened' and open forum like ATS.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   

LOL no doubt this thread is under close staff scrutiny now, i can feel the eyes scanning the posts as i type.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
im actualy surprised that the ats ptb havent remived this thread.
but for once we all seem to actualy be having an informed proper dicussion on the subject without incriminating the site ourselves or others with tales of "personal drug use"
a topic ats will not stand for at any level.
so as long as we remain focused on the debate and act like the responcable adults we are mayby theyll let us run with it for a change.
its a topic i think some of us have very valid points to make on.
from both sides of the fence.
thanks for the chance ats . im sure we wonr abuse it. no pun intended.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
double post sorry.
edit on 16-12-2010 by blacklist because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join