It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans need guns? Rip UP the Second Amendment, problem solved.

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FarArcher
Americans need guns to protect us from those who don't want us to have guns.

Foreign.

Or domestic.

Here, Hear! I am with you on this, friend! The Constitutional Amendments are not to be toyed with, or cast aside, they are there for many good reasons, and one of those reasons is so the powers that be cannot totally enslave us on a whim. We are an armed citizenry, and will remain so, not matter how many anti-gun nuts preach otherwise. Let then get robbed at gunpoint and see if their mind doesn't change.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You are a 100% correct with that statement! In most cases the police are there to gather the facts after the crime. All at one time...hey that's right!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
You will want a gun when the Gulag/Gestapo come to grab you, or your girlfriend/wife/kids/mom/dad/friends/etc and throw them into a camp for having and expressing their own thoughts. Personally, pacifism can only go so far.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
First let me state this, I have been reading this site randomly over the last 6 months (as a non-member) and have found a great amount of new information. That being said, this topic ignited my desire to join to provide the OP (Original Poster) some basic information about weapons and the 2nd Amendment.

Let me start by saying that the 2nd Amendment was created by the founders FOR the PEOPLE of the United States. It was designed to PROTECT the people from over-regulation and rule by a governing force. By providing the US people, "The Right to Bear Arms", it lets the citizens protect themselves in self defense, from governmental/organization over-sight, and also use the technology for hunting/survival scenarios.

Another point, many people say that guns hurt people and are the root of the act and blame the WEAPON; that is incorrect. A weapon is a very handy and enjoyable tool if used by the right person and for the right reasons. Did you know, more children die every year from swimming pools than by getting a hold of a firearm and shooting themselves. A weapon is only as dangerous as its user.

Another fact, maybe activists say the 2nd Amendment leads to problems with guns on campus; such as with the Virginia Tech incident. However, at Appalachian State years ago a student was in class and pulled a weapon on the professor with intent to kill him and an armed college student pulled out a pistol and killed the fellow student saving the professors life and possibly the fellow students. People need to realize that normally only negative firearm stories are posted in the media and people should NOT give their opinion on the 2nd Amendment and firearms unless they have been around them and their functionality. Thats a basic idea in life, dont criticize something you have not tried and experienced before; after you try it, than you an give your opinion.

As stated by fellow posters, if someone breaks into my house at 2am and my children/sibings/family/friends are with me, I want to know that whatever the intent of the intruder is, that I am armed and prepared for any scenario. As always said, " A good defense is a good offense". Be prepared for any scenario so you wont ever be looking back wishing you would have done something different and prepared yourself better.

For the people that live in nations that prohibit weapons and do not invoke 2nd Amendment rights I hope you understand now why America has that amendment. If your still in denial, I cant help you. Sometimes the only way people learn is through pain. The next time you get corned in a back ally or you hear your glass window breaking at 2am with your family in the next room just remember...the police are about 5 minutes away. I hope you remember this post and survive the scenario and learn the benefit of a pistol, rifle, knife, or another weapon in the hands of a proper educated and sane individual. In this life, the only person you can trust upon in an emergency situation is yourself and its your need to be prepared.

I for one feel much better knowing that I have a knife on me at all times and that I have 2 rifles with loaded magazines ready for fire. I am not a murder or insane and trying to enact scenarios from Call of Duty or Rambo; I am just a prepared American citizen that knows the functionality of weapons and is ready to defend the right of myself, and anyone else that is being infringed upon illegally.

God Bless America
edit on 25-12-2010 by NAeagle89 because: Spell Check

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
You say that as an Englishman? After what the Nazis did, how defensless the Jews and everybody else in the Nazis crosschair was (after they got their hands on guns that is). Imagine if the Germans wouldnt have been tied up in Russia and would have chuted half a million soldiers over England or landed on dover instead of just harassing england with the occasional raid. Of course you could also argue that at that point England would have been out of the game and resistance futile.

It isnt weapons that are the problem its people and giving it a bad name. Sadly many Americans see some kind of hobby in weapons and pose on youtube videos dual vielding deagles or not storing them safe. Those Americans are great for whoever has a problem with the general population wielding weapons. A nation concerned about its citizens would have putten laws into place to require an appropriate storage of firearms in some kind of vault, or at least holding those who behave irresponsibly with their guns accountable. Yet none of that is happening, disarmament is presented as the only alternative.

Also Americans lost track of the reason to own guns. Self protection against home invasion is important, I would argue only reason you need it in the us is because guns are easily acessible but the main reason to own guns is to oppose a goverment that turned against its people.

I am willing to argue that the way the population is armed should be reformed, maybe it should be regulated into some kind of militia, like in Germany or Italy, however, like I said, nothing is being done, only 2 options are presented, disarmament or living with gun related accidents and crimes.
edit on 26-12-2010 by Cassius666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Well it doesn't matter if guns are outlaw most crimes are committed by gangs.So if guns were outlawed crimes would still happen.So to solve the problem they just let us own guns.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

the 2nd admendment is our only defense why would we give up that?

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zombiesC4
Well it doesn't matter if guns are outlaw most crimes are committed by gangs.So if guns were outlawed crimes would still happen.So to solve the problem they just let us own guns.

I think you are somewhat correct. I believe in open carry.

At Wal Mart they make no secret about their cameras. Big, bulky, easy to spot (at least, some of them). It is not to catch you stealing insomuch as it is to deter you from stealing.

Same with open carry weapons. You are far less likely to victimize someone else if you know that there are a dozen guns holstered in the immediate vicinity.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah that is why you see people in free states open carrying a big old .357, can't miss a big old gun like that lol. Make anyone with any sense think twice about pulling some shinanigans in front of one of those dudes.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

Yeah that is why you see people in free states open carrying a big old .357, can't miss a big old gun like that lol. Make anyone with any sense think twice about pulling some shinanigans in front of one of those dudes.

That is true. A cannon deters just about everyone.

But most people know so little about guns that seeing a .25 auto holstered will effect them just the same. A gun is a gun.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by TKDRL

That is true. A cannon deters just about everyone.

But most people know so little about guns that seeing a .25 auto holstered will effect them just the same. A gun is a gun.

Despite all the noise made by people about how the .25 ACP or the .22LR are "toys" I have yet to find anybody who will volunteer to be shot by one.

A .25 ACP is a perfectly viable defense pistol. It will kill a man, and especially with hollowpoints will do enough damage to stop a person if shot center of mass. Same with a .22LR.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by HattoriHanzou

My son has a SYMA AK-47 and G336C airsoft rifles (as well as a new one that is a "sniping" rifle that is a lot more powerful). I won't volunteer for him to shoot me with those, either. I have seen what they do tot he metal on my bbq pit (it is covered in dents). But they are less than lethal.

Any firearm is no joke. Even a .17. There are rounds that are barely larger than a .22 that can bring down a deer (it is all about muzzle velocity) at 300 yards. I did not mean to imply that a .25 is somehow a joke. Only that it is, by appearance, just as initimidating as a .357 or .44. To someone who would know the difference, there would certainly be a difference..but not to the average person.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
My 75 year old Aunt with arthritis and a walker went out shopping with my 17 year old Autistic/Aspergers Cousin today. One has anger issues and has had to be restrained for getting angry at empty rooms. The other one can barely hold the keys to her car higher than her hip.

Thank god they both had guns though. Had someone with a gun who wanted to do them both harm, they would have at least been armed when my Aunt got shot and my Cousin killed everyone in the parking lot.

Yay guns for everyone!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

They should be accompanied by a guardian before heading out into public. I'm sure a blind person could pick up a spade and smash somebody over the head with it, but the fact that they are blind means they should have some form of support when going out into public - for their own safety and those of others.
edit on 28/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
If another human being has a right to a gun (military, cops etc) then I as a private citizen also have the right.

Simple!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

That's Americas problem.Our government is Fascist

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by zombiesC4
reply to post by Freeborn

That's Americas problem.Our government is Fascist

While the actual "fascist minimum", or definition, of fascism is hotly contested, a generally accepted definition may be:

A system of government marked by centralization of authority under a dictator, stringent socioeconomic controls, suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship, and typically a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism.

Source

It could be said that this represents any system of government. Our founding fathers understood all too well that any system administered by man would be imperfect and lead to tyranny. This is the entire purpose of our Constitution: to stifle the power of the Government, and to decentralize as much as is logically possible (thus, power went to the states, with loads of power available for municipalities and counties). And is the only real reason for the 2nd Amendment.

I guess the real problem is that even Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin could not foresee the technology that our military would amass. The guns of The People are pathetically outmatched.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
reply to post by Sinnthia

They should be accompanied by a guardian before heading out into public. I'm sure a blind person could pick up a spade and smash somebody over the head with it, but the fact that they are blind means they should have some form of support when going out into public - for their own safety and those of others.
edit on 28/12/2010 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

Nope Nope! This is America. They have the right to travel unfettered. There is no reason they should be locked up by a friggin shaperone here in the good ol' US of A. They got guns. It is the American way. You take your shaperons to the middle east or something.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Handguns (semi-auto's ,revolvers ,snub-noses, whatever) yep, ban them. However, rifles, 12gauges, is a different matter...unless You want to get rid of a foul-tempered cougar by farting in his general direction, asking rabbits to please leave Your garden alone and plead with sparrows to not rip Your thatched roof apart for nesting material. (Farmer's perspective here) And a good mauser98 with a scope, or even a simple .22LR (not talking a SIG5 here..) is just as effective against those "evil liberal commies" that want to take away your manhood-enhancing toys.

If You want to be really sure and feel safe, get a surplus WWII mauser, or a M03 Africa with .458. That'll teach 'em commies an' burglur's. Rounds will set You back $12.00 a pop, but hey. nothing too expensive for "liberty and the American way"

Canada has mostly banned handguns, yet Canadians own more rifles p.p. than Americans, but have fewer gun deaths(talking percentage of ownershipfatalities) than the US. Makes You wonder.
edit on 12/28/2010 by diakrite because: tps

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by diakrite

Why should handguns be illegal? What is the point of that? I don't see why people think handguns should be illegal, but not long guns. Or that some long guns are ok, and some aren't. Makes zero sense to me.

top topics

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join