It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do Americans need guns? Rip UP the Second Amendment, problem solved.

page: 60
<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tilpah

A guy drives around Cumbria shooting people followed by three unarmed cops who just keep their distance while he kills people. Any number of people could have stopped him if they had been armed, especially the cops.

Seems pretty obvious.

Interestingly, I think the UK experiment of a gunless population probably was showing signs of success, until they opened the immigration floodgates.

Perhaps the timid English, conditioned by centuries of being "subjects", having had the bolder breeds among them leave, to go to America, perhaps they could have made a go of it. Cops without guns, people politely attempting robberies without having to resort to such brutish things as guns...

But then came the hordes from around the Empire! Would the Pakistani be so polite? How about the African?

Perhaps it's high time the UK changed it's game plan. Things have drastically changed. AT LEAST begin by allowing some of the highest risk area law enforcement additional capabilities, that better reflect what they are up against.

JR

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I'm very jealous of your freedoms, here in the UK we are crushed and brainwashed and taxed to the hilt. To be honest I just think the OP is just trying to get a rise from you Americans.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
its our right.and i can tell you this much,when they figure out how to take guns away from us it will all be over.
they will fulfill their communist plan and we will all be controlled.never ever surrender your freedoms or
liberties to the government.government is self serving and it does not create anything but laws that restrict
freedom.the constitution,the bill of rights and the declaration of indepedance are who we are.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by phishfriar47

To your point, in the US you can't own WMD, militarized weapons (in most states), jet fighters, aircraft carriers and so forth... so when SHTF the best you can hope for is a pissant insurgancy campaign. Gun policy in America is totally a sideshow where Republicans scare white people in rural areas to vote against Democrats.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by silo13

also, you are a perfect example of why the right to freedom of speech should be heavily regulated, just because you have a right doesn’t make it righteous.

edit on 14-12-2010 by kevinunknown because: (no reason given)

Why? Because someone presented statistics you didn't like? Aww

To OP:

Truth is, look at it this way.

If you "rip up the 2nd amendment" several things are going to happen.

1) A voided constitution = voided contracts to serve in the military.

2) If you or anyone else tries to push for some massive "get rid of guns" law, who do you think will be the people that will get rid of them? Collect them? Where would they all go?

3) Criminals will still have them, regardless of any kind of hope for a liberal utopia you want to live in. Look at other countries where guns were banned... Oops! The criminals still had guns!

Yeah.

As long as I'm breathing, I will have a gun. Anyone tries to take it from me, they'll get the business end.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Ummmmmmmmm....................your obviously 7 years old, what part of, we have the second ammendment so that we can protect ourselves FROM the government when it becomes overintrusive, dont you understand? So we should just burn the constitution? I get it, I really do, your a seven year old goose stepping NWO fan. OR........your a former hack president, george "w" bush, what with that "it's just a piece of paper" drivel..............which would make you a seven year old goose stepping NWO fan

YouSir

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

So can someone please tell me why you need a gun?

Yeah. To protect your right to hammer gun owners. If there is ever a threat, internally or externally to our constitution, they will have to disarm our nation.

You're welcome.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Reply to post by glome

If it's really just a pissant sideshow then the other side is certainly just as guilty of playing along.

Just today here in NH a "no guns allowed" rule for the capital was repealed by the new (R)'s. As if a natural reflex all of the just ousted (D)'s (who put this rule in just last year) came out stating it was a waste of time for the (R)'s to do this and they have more important things to focus on.

Well, if it wasnt important and such a waste of time why did those (D)'s go out of their way to institute the rule last year? Didnt they have better things to do?

Oh, and a private citizen can most certainly own tanks, aircraft carriers and jets. Under certain circumstances that same citizen may arm them as well.

We all own WMD's or can own them. Come with me to the hardware store or the gas station and I'll show you.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I think we will need to stick together In the event of the SHTF or a disaster. That being said here is a scenario for guns from two perspectives ;

1) A hungry mob is going house to house looking for food and water. I will defend mine with my weapon. you will give them your food and possibly your shelter.

2)My family is hungry and you have food and water and no gun.....I will feed my family and you will be hungry.

I do love my fellow man but survival is brutal at times.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
China doesn't have guns and it seems to do just fine. I think the whole constitution is outdated, today we don't have use for militia and minuteman.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon54321
China doesn't have guns and it seems to do just fine.

Uh.....no.
A communist country with very few freedoms. I would say that the quality of life for the vast majority is NOT "just fine".
The populations lack of gun ownership is the reason China can oppress their people with such ease and consistency.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon54321

That's about right. A guy claiming that the Constitution is outdated holds up China as an example to live up to. Yeah, they sure set the standard for personal freedom over there.

BTW, the US Supreme Court has ruled that the individual right to own firearms is unconnected to militia membership. Not that it really matters that much. The technical definition of 'militia member' in US Code pretty much includes all male citizens between the ages of 17 and 45.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon54321
China doesn't have guns and it seems to do just fine. I think the whole constitution is outdated, today we don't have use for militia and minuteman.

That was a good one!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

or even under my kitchen sink. There are plenty of chemical reactions waiting to brew.....

My 12 year old was making hydrogen explosions by separating the H from the O in water, using simple batteries and pennies. This was when he was 10, as part of a science experiment.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I have to stick up for my fellow Brit, who started the thread.

He seems to be getting insults thrown at him for voicing an opinion.

Here in the UK, like many other places that don’t allow its citizens to own guns, we obviously will find places that do a little strange

I worked in America for a while and the people there thought we must be all mad or polite, as even most of our police don’t even carry a gun.

We have very different history’s, you are a relatively new Country, with all that land open to development and prospecting for resources etc. Times were tough back then, new towns and farming communities were set up and they probably did have to take their own security into their own hands.

However, those days are gone. You have the protection of a police force, like we do.
If the police aren’t fit for purpose, then that needs to change in order to deliver protection.

As for not trusting your own government, well neither do us Brits. It doesn’t make anyone want to own a gun though.

If the worst case scenario did happen and our government did act in a way that REALLY riled up the Brits, we’d overthrow them. We value our right to vote who we put in charge. I don’t know of any soldier or policeman who would support and take part in suppressing democracy and freedom.

Are people saying American police and the armed forces would?

How would I feel knowing that all my neighbours had guns in their houses? I’d be afraid and I’d probably get one myself too.

Why draw the line at owning guns? Why not allow law abiding citizens to own hand grenades and explosives too? Maybe a rocket launcher strapped to the roof of your house is a good idea, just in case your family home is attacked by a large angry armed mob.

Gun ownership will seem like the norm to those who grow up around them. However, it doesn’t make it right. It seems like people are hanging on to old bits of legislation, written in a different era just for the sake of having something that they’d never use anyway.

Get rid of the paranoia.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
However, if there was an alien invasion, I'd like to be visiting America at the time.

I have visions of crowds of angry brits fighting off those greys with saucepans and spades.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
guns are a thing of the past. hi wattage infrared lasers are the new weapon of choice. they make no sound and you cant see them permanently blind you....i win

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

The primary difference is mindset. In Britain, you see that your police force is there to protect you, the public.

In America, it is set up that while the police will protect, i am not going to sit around and wait for them.

Regardles, our guns are about keeping the government honest, not about enforcing vigilante justice.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JonoEnglish

Thank you, you have restored my faith in ATS.

I was starting to think I was the only one who “got it”. I haven’t given up on this thread but everything from the last few pages has been mostly insults and stuff that we discussed in earlier pages and I see no point in getting into the exact same repetitive debates only to be insulted again with American generic insults because I have different views. I get the feeling allot of Americans think I represent the British Crown and we’re all ready to come over and rip your guns out of your cold dead hands.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
All i have to input on this topic, like everyone else, are just my own opinions. Guns are not evil. People are. But come on. I hear so many people talk about rights and what people should do and should not do. It's survival of the fittest. THAT is the only trueth. Be it more fit in body or mind it does not matter. That is what i believe. The strong rule and the weak are left behind to rot. I'd sure as hell shoot anyone to save myself just like i would EXPECT anyone to do if given the same choice. VERY SIMPLE. If you have cookies and i have a gun....i have cookies.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join