It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Group Protests Holiday Display in Florida

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
LINK

Members of a Christian group are protesting what they call discrimination after a city in Florida left a manger out of a holiday display.

In addition to a Christmas tree, menorah and sign that reads "Seasons Greetings" on display inside Boca Raton City Hall, the Christian Coalition religious group also wants to see a manger displayed for the holidays, Fox7News reported.

Anthony Verdugo of the Christian Coalition said the nativity scene, not a Christmas tree
, should be on display as the symbol of the holiday.

ANOTHER LINK

The city manager was not available for comment, but the city released a statement saying they are only displaying the ornaments that they have purchased, as they do not accept donations when it comes to decorations. "The City of Boca Raton celebrates the holiday season by having displays in the lobbies of public buildings in a manner consistent with court and other judicial buildings. These displays are city-owned decorations and are comprised of a Christmas tree, a menorah and a 'Seasons Greetings' sign."

The city said they have offered Sanborn Square Park, as a spot of free expression of religious symbols, but the city can only display city-bought ornaments within their government buildings. "Our city believes that your First Amendment rights are only exercised at Sanborn Square?" said Boykin. "That's a disgrace."

Here we go, yet another example of a religious group, UNsurprisingly the Christians, DEMANDING to be catered to. The city is under NO obligation to these people, yet here they are suing for their "right" to display a manger in a government building!

This is just ridiculous.

I weonder what these people would say if their neighbor DEMANDED to place a religious display of their choice in these protester's yards, I imagine it would be a round cussing.

No one is denying this group a doggone thing, they are welcome to put their own religious flavored display on their own property.

Why does this story happen every year?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Since, I don't believe Jesus/Yeshua was born on december 25th.,
I don't have a problem with this.Unfortunately,a lot of christians
do celebrate Jesus/Yeshua's birthday on that pagan date.
To be honest,if the christians can't display any religious icons
on public property,why are other faiths allowed to?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

Since, I don't believe Jesus/Yeshua was born on december 25th.,
I don't have a problem with this.Unfortunately,a lot of christians
do celebrate Jesus/Yeshua's birthday on that pagan date.
To be honest,if the christians can't display any religious icons
on public property,why are other faiths allowed to?
Exactly, Mamabeth. I agree one hundred percent.

There was recently a thread regarding Chase Bank (where I happen to bank), and they won't allow a christmas tree. Well, people complained but the bank is a private business, too bad.

Because this is government, I feel no displays beyind Seasons Greetings type should be used. How hard is it to decorate with green garland, red bows, sparkly icicles and lights?? It dresses things up without honoring a specific religion.

Are Jews and Christians the only celebrators of Christmas?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

If God had meant for us to celebrate Jesus/Yeshua's
birthday,He would have told us the exact date. Then,
I would be joining in protests to show the nativity.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The funny thing is , even the Vatican officially admitted that the 25th of December was not the day Christ was born , but somehow a lot of Christians either ignored that fact or did not get the message
I do not remember exactly what gathering/conference that was but if somebody is really interested I can try and look for the source . I think it was somewhere in the years 1990-1995 .
edit on 12/12/10 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Why would join in the protests for the navity? Because they display the mennorhah? (sp)

This is why government offices have no business displaying ANY religious displays! There is absolutely no need, and if one is shown then welcome, Satanists, please display yours as well as the Muslims. (not that I care but these two groups would never be tolerated by ANY christian to display along side them.)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
All I have to say to this is "Get a Life."

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
All I have to say to this is "Get a Life."
Who needs to get a life? If you refer to the offended party in the OP story, I completely agree. They have their own yards to display anything they desire.

But I can see their point if the government displays a Jewish religious icon, and refuses the Christians.

This happens every single year!

A true patriot would protest the display of ANY and ALL religious displays in their government buildings.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I disagree with you ,I think that true patriots
would be basically christians.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I disagree with you ,I think that true patriots
would be basically christians.

Do patriots wipe their behinds with the constitution? Because forcing your religion into government is the most ANTI patriotic thing I can think of!

MamaBeth you inspired a new thread with this stance.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you!
edit on Sun, 12 Dec 2010 09:37:46 -0600 by hotbakedtater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm not in Florida, nor am I religious, but you can't have a manger displayed in malls anymore either. I don't see why not. Don't remember when that first became a big deal. probably with the onset of the political correct bull. They always had a tree, manger and menorrah and no one ever complained. Then wham! These are harmless holiday displays. I grew up with them. If they want to change things then don't have anything displayed at all. I'm sick of being politically correct. There is always someone who will be grumbling about something and never satisfied. Who are we changing traditions for anyway?

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
I'm not in Florida, nor am I religious, but you can't have a manger displayed in malls anymore either. I don't see why not. Don't remember when that first became a big deal. probably with the onset of the political correct bull. They always had a tree, manger and menorrah and no one ever complained. Then wham! These are harmless holiday displays. I grew up with them. If they want to change things then don't have anything displayed at all. I'm sick of being politically correct. There is always someone who will be grumbling about something and never satisfied. Who are we changing traditions for anyway?
Maybe for the influx of Muslims into our country, who may not want to have see displays of other faiths when trying to conduct government business? Heck I don't want to see it either, not in my government buildings.

I could care less what private businesses display, their choice.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Thill

Very few Christians actually believe that Christ was born on December 25th. The commemoration of Christ's birth on that date though is so entrenched in western culture that it has just stuck. It has nothing to do with Christians ignoring anything.

(By the way, not all Christians have any ties to the Vatican. The pope isn't the leader of all Christians.)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

No one is denying this group a doggone thing, they are welcome to put their own religious flavored display on their own property.

Why does the menorah get to stay? I don't care either way, but it isn't exactly the right thing for the city to have the menorah up but to deny the display of a nativity.

I wouldn't exactly say that they're demanding anything either. They just want the city to display a nativity scene as the symbol for the Christian holiday instead of a Christmas tree:

Anthony Verdugo of the Christian Coalition said the nativity scene, not a Christmas tree
, should be on display as the symbol of the holiday.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The menorrah is the same as a christmas tree. an object that is 'lit' during the holiday.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Ahh, the poor little Christians don't get any free advertising for their mythical beliefs. Here in Oklahoma there is a Christian church just about every 1-2 blocks down the road from me. I would think that so many churches is enough nauseating advertising for them.
Do you think that the churches are getting a little upset that more and more of the human race refuses to stick there heads up their backsides and throw away there life savings for the myth of salvation?
Tax the churches!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Mithra was born on December 25th. Can we put up a display of him too?!?!

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Religion and its silly symbols create nothing but problems anyways so the LEAST we can see of it in public, the BETTER!!!!

Religion, which is truly just mythical nonsense, causes nothing but TROUBLE. This trouble needs to be BANNED from being practiced, displayed, or voiced in PUBLIC. Keep it in PRIVATE, and there will no longer be issues.

I for one do NOT care what deluded and weak-minded people must feel that they have to believe in, but KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES!!!!!!!!

edit on 12-12-2010 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

If you have time to complain about what's in a Christmas scene, than you have too much time on your hands.

posted on Dec, 12 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Christmas isn't even about Jesus. The tradition was being practice way before Jesus' time. The holiday is all about the return of the Sun. This is why an evergreen is used. Winter has no power against the evergreen. Its pine needles resist the chilling cold climate. The tradition is that the evergreen has a magical connection to bring the Sun back to the northern hemisphere. In this case, if fair is fair, the government building should throw out the Menorah because December 25th belongs Saturnalia, the god of agriculture. The Romans had a celebration for Sol, Mithra and Saturnalia around December 25th to encourage the sun's return.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join