It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Group Protests Holiday Display in Florida

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace
Christmas isn't even about Jesus. The tradition was being practice way before Jesus' time. The holiday is all about the return of the Sun. This is why an evergreen is used. Winter has no power against the evergreen. Its pine needles resist the chilling cold climate. The tradition is that the evergreen has a magical connection to bring the Sun back to the northern hemisphere. In this case, if fair is fair, the government building should throw out the Menorah because December 25th belongs Saturnalia, the god of agriculture. The Romans had a celebration for Sol, Mithra and Saturnalia around December 25th to encourage the sun's return.

This is true. Saturnalia was celebrated by the exchange of gifts, feasts and spending time with the family. Sound familiar. I am a Christian and a Roman history buff. Many Christian traditions are founded in the Roman pagan beliefs. Not bad beliefs, but certainly not Christian in origin.

As for the Christmas display in a city, I could care less. Christianity would be better served if we would protest sending innocent young citizens off to die in meaningless wars, than protesting wheather or not a city displays a baby Jesus in a public building.

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by octotom
reply to post by Thill

Very few Christians actually believe that Christ was born on December 25th. The commemoration of Christ's birth on that date though is so entrenched in western culture that it has just stuck. It has nothing to do with Christians ignoring anything.

(By the way, not all Christians have any ties to the Vatican. The pope isn't the leader of all Christians.)

So you speak for all Christians? Where is your support of that
idiot statement? Few believe it, huh? Show me where you got
those facts from. I bet you can't because you are just spouting
BS because you don't happen to believe in anything to do with
Christianity or Christians. Wishful thinking on your part

posted on Dec, 13 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Yes, this whole problem has to do with sucking up to the muslim whiners.
They are offended at our Holiday displays.
Too bad for them.
They knew this when they came here.
If it bothers them so much they can go back to where they came from.
The Christmas tree is actually more of a pagan Soltice symbol, but was adopted by Christianity.
What we need is more awareness of Dec 25th being a Soltice Celebration, as it is something that everyone in the Northern Hempisphere can celebrate.
This was a really big thing for our European ancestors.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join