It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Have You Noticed? Wiki gets you watched; you have now made their lists.

page: 1
6
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I have began to notice that when I navigate into a Wiki-Leaks thread, be it deliberate or accident, that I experience a noticeable delay in internet responsiveness. Call me paranoid or what have you, however, after fairly extensive experimentation with this . . . via blocking all traffic (temporarily) and re-enabling, proxies, etc . . . it is near impossible to deny.

I am beginning to believe that nearly all connections to Wiki-related material is now being monitored and logged. While I personally believe that affected governments worldwide have the right and responsibility to do this. I simply did not expect it so quickly and to a degree that also effects those that are not deliberately trying to seek this information out, if they did not know who you were before . . . they do now!!!

Enjoy





posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nonnez
 


Whatever, let em see all the porn i've watched

edit on 9-12-2010 by squirelnutz because: terrorists?



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Download PeerBlock or PeerGuardian and you can see who's accessing your IP. You'll only notice advertisment companies but it's helpful if you're paranoid.

Or continue to think Wikileaks are watching you. Whatever.



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
So what? Are they gonna get you for looking at a public website? Oh noes!!!!



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual
 

What I got from the OP was not that WL was watching your activity on the WL sites, but that the gov is somehow able to monitor who all has been to the WL site and it's mirror sites and alike..

Personally, I just thought that lag was because I have about 15 different browsers open with WL cabals, and 10 different pages at ATS and links in those pages.

I can never just come to ATS, open one thread, read it, and be done. It always leads to something else. Always.



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual
 


I am not worried that Wikileaks is watching..... I was speaking of government sanctioned snooping. I was not so concerned about myself but more so for those that frequent the material.



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nonnez
 


I think theres also a lot of people looking up WikiLeaks and the news sites writing about them; so it lags it down



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cherryontop
reply to post by Nventual
 

What I got from the OP was not that WL was watching your activity on the WL sites, but that the gov is somehow able to monitor who all has been to the WL site and it's mirror sites and alike..

Personally, I just thought that lag was because I have about 15 different browsers open with WL cabals, and 10 different pages at ATS and links in those pages.

I can never just come to ATS, open one thread, read it, and be done. It always leads to something else. Always.


Yes, you are right, I was referring to others and not WL.
Try it with one tab, maybe two . . . then experiment a little. I bet you will see what I am talking about. Close those connections and the lag slowly dissipates.
edit on 9-12-2010 by nonnez because: content



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nonnez
I have began to notice that when I navigate into a Wiki-Leaks thread, be it deliberate or accident, that I experience a noticeable delay in internet responsiveness. Call me paranoid or what have you, however, after fairly extensive experimentation with this . . . via blocking all traffic (temporarily) and re-enabling, proxies, etc . . . it is near impossible to deny.

I am beginning to believe that nearly all connections to Wiki-related material is now being monitored and logged. While I personally believe that affected governments worldwide have the right and responsibility to do this. I simply did not expect it so quickly and to a degree that also effects those that are not deliberately trying to seek this information out, if they did not know who you were before . . . they do now!!!

Enjoy



Right ON bro!


I have the same view and i confirm the delay and access denial 100 %

just happened to me and thats what i thought...



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by squirelnutz
reply to post by nonnez
 


I think theres also a lot of people looking up WikiLeaks and the news sites writing about them; so it lags it down


Yes, but once the page loads and you travel elsewhere from it . . . should you still experience the effects from that traffic?



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK

Originally posted by nonnez
I have began to notice that when I navigate into a Wiki-Leaks thread, be it deliberate or accident, that I experience a noticeable delay in internet responsiveness. Call me paranoid or what have you, however, after fairly extensive experimentation with this . . . via blocking all traffic (temporarily) and re-enabling, proxies, etc . . . it is near impossible to deny.

I am beginning to believe that nearly all connections to Wiki-related material is now being monitored and logged. While I personally believe that affected governments worldwide have the right and responsibility to do this. I simply did not expect it so quickly and to a degree that also effects those that are not deliberately trying to seek this information out, if they did not know who you were before . . . they do now!!!

Enjoy



Right ON bro!


I have the same view and i confirm the delay and access denial 100 %


just happened to me and thats what i thought...


Yeah! it is especially noticeable when posting in such a thread and remains so for some time. Seems like it would be a little less obvious, wouldn't it? But maybe that is the whole point!



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
google "tor"

it may help u



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by nonnez
 

I don't think ur paranoid at all.
And I agree with ur assessment
S&F



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
google "tor"

it may help u


I appreciate that. I have to say again, in so many words . . . I am not trying to hide my traffic. I do not deliberately view the releases as I myself view them as beyond my right to view. They are classified and were never meant for public consumption. Some secrets need to be kept and people often say things that they really should have not said and more-so when in heated and stressful conversation.

I was simply pointing out what I had noticed as a mainly nonparticipating bystander that does not deliberately frequent this material.



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
My computer acts up also. When I go to navigate back to the new topics at the top of the page, the whole bar will flash up and down, freeze up completely, or be very slow. My girlfriend keeps up on the virus protection and we subscribe to Norton. I thought it was just me. lol



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I don't have a problem...loads as fast as anything else and right now my tracking software says

Google analytics -blocked
Quantcast-blocked
Comscore Beacon -Blocked

I don't care one way or another..



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
My computer acts up also. When I go to navigate back to the new topics at the top of the page, the whole bar will flash up and down, freeze up completely, or be very slow. My girlfriend keeps up on the virus protection and we subscribe to Norton. I thought it was just me. lol


Well, I believe that it is very good to keep up on all those "protections"
I think that this technology . . .ie.. The watchers, goes way beyond those protections capabilities, let alone, the back doors that completely circumnavigate any protection they may have whatsoever.



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
I don't have a problem...loads as fast as anything else and right now my tracking software says

Google analytics -blocked
Quantcast-blocked
Comscore Beacon -Blocked

I don't care one way or another..


So, you think that blocking those are the key? I am more inclined to think that various secondary security measures will initially block this "observation" but will also possibly get you flagged for further investigation at a later time by more personal snooping versus that of the automatons.



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Everything all over the Internet is logged and fed into supercomputers for analysis.

This has been going on for a very long time, before it was ever admitted publicly a few years ago.

Basically that is the entire point of the NSA- National Security Agency. Their main profession is cryptology, according to publicly available information.

For many years, we had only rumors. It was called "No Such Agency" for a long time.

It officially began in 1952 I think.

Anyways, they have the most powerful computers in the world, and use them to tap all forms of communication globally. Phone, Fax, Net, etc. If it can be tapped, they have tapped it.

All of these massive reams of information are fed into the supercomputers, and these computers use advanced algorithms to scan each word or phrases.

When certain keywords are identified, the information is flagged. Then an actual human employee will come and inspect it to determine if there is a viable threat, or if it's merely innocuous chatter.

So basically everything you do through any type of communications device has been tapped and logged. Every phone call you ever made, on file. (Maybe trashed by now but who knows if they keep that junk for long periods of time.)

The point is, everything you say through these devices is monitored. It doesn't matter if you like Wikileaks or whatever. Everyone means everyone.

So of course I kind of chuckle when you suggest that you are being watched "because of Wikileaks".

Of course you are being monitored. But it isn't because of Wikileaks. It's because they monitor everything electronically already.

As far back as the 70s (to my knowledge), the Pentagon (some agency within the DoD most likely) had vans parked on random streets in the USA packed with advanced listening devices and would just listen in on everyone randomly looking for "Commies" or whatever. They didn't find any though that I am aware of.

Point that I am getting at is that we are already monitored. It's nothing new. You're not paranoid. It's a fact.

And I seriously doubt that Wikileaks sends up any flags. Why? Because that word "Wikileaks" is on every news website on the Internet right now, its all over the place. You can't have that flagging you. You would be looking at a gazillion hits a day. It's not practical.

They are looking for spies and various types of big time criminals. Or spying on other governments communications. Not you and me. They already know everything about us, and determined we are a waste of time- for the most part. Just be careful what you say, because it does get logged. And if you piss them off enough, it might come back to haunt you.

But 99% chance is they ignore us and don't really care for the most part. They don't have time for us. This is a good thing.

You really ought to look up the history of espionage though, specifically the National Security Agency. Also look into the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) which is the military version of the CIA.

The CIA does not monitor our calls or chats though from what I have gathered. They do "Field Operations". They get their hands dirty. The NSA are computer geeks mostly. Cryptographers and the like. Code breakers etc.



posted on Dec, 9 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual
 

Yeah, I am sure the powers that be have no way to get around "PeerBlock or PeerGuardian"



new topics

top topics



 
6
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join