It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Defeat US Missile Defence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Does anyone have any information regarding the russians ability to defeat the US Missile defence system that is supposed to be operational this year?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hyperen
Does anyone have any information regarding the russians ability to defeat the US Missile defence system that is supposed to be operational this year?

Yes, its called saturation. Teh missile defence is going to be limited in the number of interceptors. Rogue states with a few missiles should be able be handled by the system. From the articles I have read it will employ a shoot look shoot system. SO assuming 100% accuracy the isinial system will be able to shoot down 10 ICBM's. Russia has just over 700 ICBM's So the US shield will not be able to even make a dent in things. Also don't forget the 220 SLBM it has as well assuming they are not in port rusting away.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I was under the impression that Russian was more broke than Ethiopia.

How can they build and maintain a new system when their navy, air force and army are falling apart.

Am I wrong in this?

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The US missile defense shield is only in its beginning stages and even so we can handle such states as north Korea end others but as our shield improves we will be able to handle more ICBM's ant one time.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Russia is back to spending lots of money on thier military. They reportedly have a supersonic missle which would prove difficult for missle defense to handle. Thats what you get when the KGB run things.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by popeye0314
Russia is back to spending lots of money on thier military. They reportedly have a supersonic missle which would prove difficult for missle defense to handle. Thats what you get when the KGB run things.

Survey says eeeeeeeh. The shild is designed in theory to handle ICBM's were talking Mach 20 at burn out. the warhead would slow down some but it would still be well above supersonic missile speed

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
www.commondreams.org/headlines04/0219-10.htm

Sorry, Fred T but new survey is up. Go to link above, or google it.

According to Putin, the new missle is maneuvarble and can avoid the missle defense system. Im suprised you didn't hear about this, it was a big story a few months ago.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by popeye0314
Sorry, Fred T but new survey is up. Go to link above, or google it.
According to Putin, the new missle is maneuvarble and can avoid the missle defense system. Im suprised you didn't hear about this, it was a big story a few months ago.

I actually did read something about it in (I think) AWST. But the kill vehilce is also capable of manuvering. Of couse non of know the actual rates of manuver for either systems or how big of a course correction would need to be made, or if they could be able to do it.
That being said, I a firm in my belief that the shield is really intended to protect aginst rouge nations. Its simply not going to have enough interceptors to stop an all out Russian attack.
Now if the system included boost phase / midcourse / and terminal interception capability, then I would be as worried as the Russians would be. But even if we could intercept an all out attack and burn Russia down to bedrock, we would eventually fall victem to the radiation that would blanket the world anyway

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Ok we could probably stop an attack from a rogue nation. We would probably have to use cold war tactics if the Russians shot at us.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
How would the missile out maneuver laser from ground based and missiles coming at it at the same time? srry but i would not trust the russians on what they say unless it is proven first.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Thats true that you cant out manuever a laser but maybe you can just prevent it from getting a proper lock on the missle.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The laser will go wherever the missile goes and it only takes about 4-5 sec to burn a hole through 1 inch carbon steel plate so good luck out maneuvering that. and how would it prevent the laser form locking on?

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Does anyone have anymore information about that maneuvering half cruise missile, half ICBM?

Originally posted by SpiderjI was under the impression that Russian was more broke than Ethiopia.

How can they build and maintain a new system when their navy, air force and army are falling apart.

Am I wrong in this?

I think Russia is still spendind lots on its missiles as the cold war still goes on. There is still an arms race behind that facade.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:52 AM
link   
There are some simple tatics that could give a laser system problems. You could coat the missile in a laser reflective material or you could just make the missile spin the laser needs to be on one spot for a few secs to work . Then there the good old decoy warheads one warhead could split into say 10 seperate objects 9 could be fake and only 1 real. I think russias main tactic has always been numbers in the nuke game though.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I think russias main tactic has always been numbers in the nuke game though.

Can they really rely on just numbers though. Surely, sooner or later this Star Wars shield will be able shoot down any 'conventional' ICBMs and MIRVs by which I mean the nuclear armed ones used at the moment.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Thats the great thing about this defense if its works really well on a small scale it could be used on a much larger scale like you said Hyperen if it got the funding. That was reagan's dream for star wars. But im sure are enemies would change there tatics and try to sneak nukes and bio weapons into the united states then.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 05:08 AM
link   
The reflective shield wont work because the lasers we are talking about here are not to be fooled with it will burn right through any reflecting material and any reflective coating will greatly reduce the aerodynamics of the missile also we have other system to shoot them down other than the laser like PAC-3 also the air force has numerous programs to counter bogy or fake warheads like this link.

www.lockheedmartin.com...

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I just think large scale missiles shields upset the balance of MAD. It also leads to arms races. All it does it delay other countries abilities to nuke you. Sooner or later they will catch up with technology to defeat the shield.

US should have stayed in the ABM treaty. When a country pulls out of an important thing like that, whose to say another can't pull out of something else like START.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The reflective shield wont work because the lasers we are talking about here are not to be fooled with it will burn right through any reflecting material and any reflective coating will greatly reduce the aerodynamics of the missile also we have other system to shoot them down other than the laser like PAC-3 also the air force has numerous programs to counter bogy or fake warheads like this link.

The reflective coating would most likely be a special type of paint or mirror so areodynamics wouldnt really be affected.
Im not saying that these things could not be overcome when the united states develops a weapon they try to think of every way the enemy will try to stop it and plan too factor that into the design. I dont doubt the US could overcome these things its just something they had to figure out or these systems would not be made if they could just spin the missiles and get around them

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Russia would never launch nukes at us because before they even hit they would have been detected and retaliated against with every nuke in americas arsenal. Nukes are the main thing stopping us from being nuked.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join