It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America bashing threads...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
I guess this is on topic

Here is an acoustic video I did, last year, about CANADA vs USA =)

Don't take it to heart!

OMG!!!

best part "holy sht our dolla just went up 2 cents"
ontario is not the place to go

edit on 1-12-2010 by JayXBraun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Name calling is against the rules here. We bash America because that is the spirit of America. You can't make it better without calling out its failures.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Yes, that America bashing has to stop.

Like this thread for instance....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by machines4200
a friend of mine went backpacking through EU and had a Canadian flag on his backpack and said they were treated like GOLD where ever they went. and they also heard of what the world thinks about America lol

You know how many times over the past twenty or thirty years I've heard that old urban legend and from how many people? I'm sure many believe it.

On topic.
Whoever is on top [real or perceived] at the time get's bashed.
It's basic human nature. If both the "[bashers as well as those who are thinned skinned]" haven't figured that one out yet. Then there really is no point in discussing this topic any further.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

Let me ask you a question, why are you bothered by what the world thinks of you? Now, just for example: If someone accused me of wrong doing, and I was innocent, I would not be perturbed, worried or even offended. So, why are you offended?

You need to ask yourself that. I'm proud of my home Country (South Africa) and my new adopted Country (Canada). Yes, I will defend both, BUT I will also admit their shortfalls. No Country is better than any other, as that judgment lies in the eyes of the person living there and their experiences!

The US rips on Canada in their TV shows ALL the time... and do you see us getting all testy? NO, because we have a sense of humor! We know what we can do. Vancouver 2010 was Amazing! SA2010 World cup soccer - Amazing! We focus on that.

You need to focus on the positive of the US! You guys have an amazing space program. You sent man to the moon. You recently launched the largest satellite. You have the X-37B that will land shortly.

You have accomplished so much, so why the hell give a crap about what people think of the US and it's people?

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
You know how many times over the past twenty or thirty years I've heard that old urban legend and from how many people? I'm sure many believe it.

Slayer, it's no urban legend. I have 2 friends in the US, they traveled through Europe many years ago, 1 had a US flag on his back pack, the other a Canadian. When they came to SA, they told me that the 1 with a Canadian flag was treated much better, offered free beers, etc.

Now, by all means, I've nothing against the US people. The one's I've met, have been the most sincere, honest and helpful people. The US people are amazing, Your reputation SUCKS because of your govt!

You get that in order, let the rest of the world see and meet the real US people as I have - this will be a different world

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
I am totally amazed that even with all we have in common which is what brought us all here from every corner of the earth in the first place, that we can't put all of the childish name calling threads away. We are ALL in deep sh*t like it or not and you would think a small community of like-minded individuals could ban together to discuss the things we all hold dear like adults without all of the trolling for fights.
Personally I think the administration should ban threads that instigate fighting and name calling. Furthermore they should ban the members who start the threads.
I guess our little biosphere is proof that we as a race are doomed. If we can't even get along to discuss the worlds problems there is absolutely no way we will ever see the day they are solved.

Any one else sick of this???

I'm not really sure I understand you correctly; this may be a US site, but members are from all over the world. And like it or not, not all are friendly towards the USA. In Greece, for example, US Americans are not liked at all, because the CIA helped install a fascist dictatorship in 1967 and kept it in power till 1974, not to mention that during the civil war 1946-1949 they bombed the hell out of us to prevent us from turning communist.

Personally, I like to distinguish between ordinary folks, I used to have American friends while studying in Germany, and the government of the USA. I have nothing against Americans, except for racists and fascists, but those are a very small minority, I believe. However, I do not endorse the foreign policies of the government of the USA, not in the past when my home county suffered, and not now, where they have illegally invaded two countries and are waging a needless and cruel war of submission.

As for the staff doing their job to prevent flame wars, I think they do an excellent job. They often remove post, they ban people whenever appropriate, I don't think a special rule is needed for topics discussing negative feelings towards Americans, as long as the discussion remains civil and rational. Anything else would be just restricting the right to free speech, which is so un-American, and is something that this site handles very well in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
GO AMERICA f yah!!!!

You got bad apples in every bunch.... Someone could be meaning well and not really understand other people are going to think they are trolling or starting things for the fun of it.... Some people will defend their belief and some people will call it trolling..... I think the word troll should be banned from ATS just like the word it replaced which is n o o b.....

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

i dont think anything should be banned... first your country takes away free speech now ATS? is Bush secretly behind this site also?

Banning should be banned.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

We have to have America bashing threads, it's the only way some on here can gather stars and flags.....somehow that's important to some.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

dont care bout the stars and flags.. nore do i even know what they're for... but for a site thats all about free speech and all that jazz... theres still a civil way to argue and bash
its what our generation is good at. sarcasm people...sarcasm. if any american here thinks they're number one then bashing shouldnt bother them..

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Usually I avoid Country bashing, Country praising, and Country defending threads like the plague. But I will make an exception this one time as a defense to my Country.

I have noticed that a lot of USA bashers come from Countries that lie down right smack dab in the middle of the bed with the USA. Their Governments are as corrupt, at the very least, as our Government. Then you have those USA bashers that wont show on their profile what Nation they are from. Don't take it personal. It is always fun bashing the big guy in the neighborhood.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

There is a major difference between people 'bashing' American foreign policies, gov't ect and people 'bashing' the American populace.
However, as a long time lurker it seems that many find it hard to differentiate between an attack on policies, gov't ect and personal attacks, on both sides. In conclusion, maybe everybody should take a deep breath and refrain from personal attacks and clarify what and who they don't agree with, and be less defensive in regards to there countries because at the end of the day we're all human.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Really on ATS (and most places on the net) criticism can take a couple of forms.

This doesn't have to be just "America bashing" - it can apply to any group - so I'm going to use "Group X" as an example in some generic criticism examples.

Criticism example 1: " I really have a problem with the policies of Group X concerning the situation. I feel that is shortsighted and doesn't take the big picture into account. I don't know how much sway the average Group X member has to change this. Hopefully they can see what they are doing and how it is hurting things."

Criticism example 2: I hate Group X! They are all a bunch of knuckle dragging mouth breathers!! All they want to do is ruin everything!!! That goes for you to you Group X person reading this! Yes you! You there sitting in the chair with your mouth hanging open and that dumb expression on our face that all Group X members have!! I wish the world was rid of all of Group X and especially the ones reading this!!!

See the difference between examples one and two?

My 2 cents is that example 1 is more in the spirit of ATS - but example 2 tends to pop up fairly often on many touchy subjects and people its aimed at often feel bashed. If you were a lowly member of the vastness of Group X would want someone seeming to hate you when they don't even know you?

Its when its personal or paints everyone with the same broad brush it becomes "bashing" IMO.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I think you Americans dont really respond very well to criticism. It's fair enough you have spent your lives as the top dogs of the world and cant quite understand why anyone could possibly have any dislike for your country. Maybe coming to a global forum like ATS exposes you to the animosity that exists in many parts of the world towards you countries foreign policies.

Well some of that animosity isn't warranted., and I never spent my life feeling like I was above any person of any county, absolute opposite, I love the different cultures of the earth, maybe you have a distorted view of the average American.

As a matter of a fact it wasn't until I started reading and posting on forums that I realized these countries and peoples I loved and was fascinated with despised us, and that upset me.

This is the sentiment shared by most(75% at least) Americans. I'm not one to respond to American bashing, but I have noticed a pattern of hypocrisy in it. I especially noticed it the other day in a particular thread by a particular new user, can't remember their name but their location was something like "A tiny island north of France". This user had signed up that very same day, and every post they made was along the lines of "Americans are so stupid. They think the way they do things is right, but they are not, I am!" or "Americans are so arrogant! They think they are so much better than everyone, when in fact I am much better than they are!"
You know, totally hypocritical stuff like that. The sad part is this particular poster had over 220 kudos under their user name, with about 14 posts all bashing Americans and only being a member of the site for a few hours. And we have legendary posters that have been here for years with only about 30 kudos.

Living in America my entire life, I have never met any single person as described by this poster, at least in the context of being an American. I have, however noticed those traits in internet posters from various European countries. I know I'm no better by calling this person out, but I think it's something that really needed to be said. I've NEVER felt that I was above anyone of any other nation because of my American heritage, nor have I known anyone else to be. But I must say, seeing this hate coming from members of other nations, particularly the UK, doesn't do much for backing up my feelings of mutual respect for members of other nations.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Want to know why Americans get riled over these threads? Because it's a totally un American thing I'm not saying we dont sh*t talk others but whens the last time you seen for example an anti UK thread? Being such a diverse country I dont think as a society we understand the idea of generalizing people by stereotypes, We've all seen Brits, Pols, Germans, Pakis, Chinese, Africans, Australians all sorts of Hispanics, Islanders, Japanese, Russians...everyone, we have everyone here. We see them, work with them, live with them everyday. Thing is how many people around the world actually meet Americans face to face on a daily basis Im sure not nearly half of the amount we meet other people. In one building I work with Pols, Ruskies, Italians, Jamiacans, Puerto Ricans a few Mexicans and an eldery English woman and our bosses are Germans. I bet most every American on this site who lives on the East Coast works in very similar conditions how many over in Germany or France can say they work with such a diverse group? Probably very few.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Well we can hardly listen to a person who believes they are a "Soldier of god" (laughing)

American bashing threads as you put it are opinion. Are people not allowed an opinion. the mods on here already ban way way way too much that is not approved by their agenda folder.

I fully support the US government and its actions. I do not support the American people however, because they are the ones who are doing the real damage. They demand everything from the biggest cars, to the latest asian technology in their homes and yet complain the environment is being damaged. It is, mainly by the US people.

Its time the people on here start backing their gov and follow them into a new era. After all, if you cant trust your own gov you can not trust someone elses.

People who claim "american bashing" are like the Muslims claiming "islamaphobia" or Jews "anti-semitism" all a load of BS.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

I totally agree with you! More respect is required by all users.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
I think you Americans dont really respond very well to criticism. It's fair enough you have spent your lives as the top dogs of the world and cant quite understand why anyone could possibly have any dislike for your country. Maybe coming to a global forum like ATS exposes you to the animosity that exists in many parts of the world towards you countries foreign policies.

I would say 99.9% of those who bash Americans are rapist child molesters who suffer from penis envy but that would be rude.

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

aaaahahahahaaaa! #in dope! that was awesome..i want to post that on my facebook...how cool is that! ahahaaa! im still laughin

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join