It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Press Conference December 2 To Reveal "Astrobiology" Finding!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

Um I think your reading into this a bit too much, Astrobiology at least as far as I understand it is as follows: the life we can take and put onto another planet to kick start the re-evolution and the re-population of life on barren planets. I do think that other life, such as Aliens would be involved in this but in all actuality I believe this conference is going to be about how we further the growth of life in space.
edit on 30-11-2010 by NoJoker13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It could be any one of the Astrobiology programs "goals" don't you think? So there is many different possibilities.

Goal 1—Understand the nature and distribution of habitable environments in the Universe
Objective 1.1—Models of formation and evolution of habitable planets
Objective 1.2— Indirect and direct astronomical observations of extrasolar habitable planets

Goal 2—Explore for past or present habitable environments, prebiotic chemistry and signs of life elsewhere in our Solar System
Objective 2.1—Mars exploration
Objective 2.2—Outer Solar System exploration

Goal 3—Understand how life originates from cosmic and planetary precursors
Objective 3.1—Sources of prebiotic materials and catalysts
Objective 3.2—Origins and evolution of functional biomolecules
Objective 3.3—Origins of energy transduction
Objective 3.4—Origins of cellularity and protobiological systems

Goal 4—Understand how past life on Earth interacted with its changing planetary and Solar System environment Objective 4.1—Earth's early biosphere
Objective 4.2—Foundations of complex life
Objective 4.3—Effects of extraterrestrial events upon the biosphere

Goal 5—Understand the evolutionary mechanisms and environmental limits of life
Objective 5.1—Environment-dependent, molecular evolution in microorganisms
Objective 5.2—Co-evolution of microbial communities
Objective 5.3—Biochemical adaptation to extreme environments

Goal 6—Understand the principles that will shape the future of life, both on Earth and beyond
Objective 6.1—Environmental changes and the cycling of elements by the biota, communities, and ecosystems
Objective 6.2—Adaptation and evolution of life beyond Earth

Goal 7—Determine how to recognize signatures of life on other worlds and on early Earth
Objective 7.1— Biosignatures to be sought in Solar System materials
Objective 7.2—Biosignatures to be sought in nearby planetary systems

NASA Astrobiology Roadmap
edit on 11/30/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

I already stated that on the post right before yours, that it probably has something more to do with life expansion from us and not from outer space.

Star.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

I think it would be interesting if they reached their goal 3, objective 3.3, on energy transduction, but I doubt that.

But yeah, I was speculating that it probably has more to do with something we've found that will make life possible elsewhere, which still technically is "evidence" that other life would be possible. Or that maybe we've found some sort of bacteria or cells already living here on Earth that they think came from elsewhere, but I doubt that too...
Most likely it will be under goal 6, just because that seems the simplest I guess. I agree with everyone who is saying baby steps though.

Objective 6.1 Environmental changes and the cycling of elements by the biota, communities, and ecosystems Conduct remote sensing, laboratory and field studies that relate the effects of environmental changes during Earth history to the cycling of key elements. Relate changes in elemental cycling to effects on the structure and functioning of organisms, populations, communities, and ecosystems. Develop predictive models that integrate biogeochemical cycles with biological evolution and environmental change (both anthropogenic and non-anthropogenic, including extraterrestrial events [see Objective 4.3]).

Example investigations Construct biogeochemical models of ecosystems and test the models with isotopic and functional genomic analyses of the constituent parts of the ecosystems. Document the ecological impact of changes in climate, habitat complexity, and nutrient availability upon the structure and function of a selected ecosystem, as a guide for understanding changes that might occur over time scales ranging from abrupt events (a few years or less) to millions of years.

Objective 6.2 Adaptation and evolution of life beyond Earth Explore the adaptation, survival and evolution of microbial life under environmental conditions that simulate conditions in space or on other potentially habitable planets. Insights into survival strategies will provide a basis for evaluating the potential for interplanetary transfer of viable microbes and also the requirements for effective planetary protection.

Example investigations Document the impact of the space environment upon microbial ecosystems that might be ejected into space by an impact event.
Examine the survival, genomic alteration, and adaptation of microbial ecosystems in a simulated martian habitable environment. Interpret the significance of the findings regarding the potential for the forward biological contamination of Mars.
Examine the effects of the space environment upon the biosynthesis and utilization of microbial biomolecules that play key roles in biogeochemical processes.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I myself am not expecting any groundbreaking news regarding ET's, but I hope we do get some interesting tidbits - I would settle for any new evidence of extraterrestrial bacteria life, or perhaps another goldilocks exoplanet.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

That would be very interesting but I think their goal for energy tranduction is a ways off... sadly.

2nd line.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Disclosure has already begun, switch on your TV and look how many channels are showing Space, ET, UFO related material. Look at the films that are going to released over the next 12 months and you will see a pattern emerging. It is all about associating ET as friendly and not hostile IMHO we need to question everything as it is played out as everything is not always what it seems to be. Since when has NASA ever been truthful to the public, they believe that they are above us because they hold the knowledge however, everything comes to an end, whether we like it or not.

As someone that works in the TV/Film industry, allow me to elaborate a bit on your comment somewhat.

The tv and film series you currently see have NOTHING to do with disclosure. It's nearly impossible. First and foremost, there have been a plethora of sci-fi films that have come out over the years, not to mention a bunch at specific moments (See the 1950's alien invasion era in films, practically every film was about aliens taking over). Second, and the most important point, is that TV shows and Films literally take years to complete. You have to first come up with the idea, write that idea down on into a properly formed script with defined characters, etc. Then you need to rewrite that idea, several times, before you can even consider pitching it to a studio. Then, you take said idea and take it to a studio, pitch it, in the hopes that they will want to pick it up.

Now, let's say that you're one of the few lucky ones that actually has a script picked up. TV Series, Film, doesn't matter. Pre-Production phases can take anywhere from weeks to months, depending on the size and complexity of what's needed. Then, production, the shortest phase of all, can run from a couple weeks again, to a couple months. At this point we've already passed a year or so in the development time from the concoction of the idea up until now. And we aren't even at the post-production phase yet, which could take weeks yet again.

So you're saying that since Wilcock said a year ago there will be disclosure, Hollywood has somehow managed to overcome all of these hurdles and push out shows like The Event literally weeks after something is posted on the internet about disclosure? I can guarantee you shows like The Event were in production at the very least, a year or two ago. Hell, just the CASTING of films and TV series can take weeks at a time. You want someone that's right for that character. You're not going to take the first person that walks in to an audition.

I'm not even going to get into the length and intricacies of then selling your produced tv series or film to a network for airing once its been finished.

Yeah... Someone created an entire season (at least one whole season 12-13 episodes worth) of a TV series based all off disclosure, yet if you watch the show, has nothing (anymore except the first 2 episodes) to do with disclosure and has moved off into a silly love story that's uninteresting. And now that the show was picked up for a second season they have to continue creating storylines because of it.

Sure thing.

Seriously you need to stop grasping for straws. TV and FIlmmaking take TIME.
edit on 30-11-2010 by Temperamental69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Well, at least we won't have long to find out, just a couple more days. I'm not expecting much really, but it's interesting how tight-lipped they are being for it...if it is a rather lackluster announcement. May be more profound than we think...lets hope anyhow... Just may be the first step.

I seriously hope it has NOTHING to do with that "Ice Meteorite" story....which reeks of "con" job.....

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayXBraun
ALRIGHT.
this is really starting to get OLD.
im getting sick of every month nasa and you stupid people who belive them talking about this kind of stuff..
its all BS!
if aliens wanted to be known, trust me. they would be.

We understand that this is the same old story over and over, but it gives you no reason to call everyone here "stupid". If you don't agree with the views of others then don't post in here! We all have something to believe in, perhaps we get our hopes high too soon believing that someone will disclose anything about UFO's but we are not "stupid".
edit on 30-11-2010 by TheEnlightenedOne because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
according to alexis madrigal, in response to the kottke.org posting on this, it isn't about extraterrestrial life

kottke.org...
twitter.com...#

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Yea I don't really believe people learn anything from the past.
NASA ANNOUNCES GROUNDBREAKING FIND. PRESS CONFERENCE IN 2 DAYS.

ATS FORUMS : AMG DISCLOSURE!!!11ONEONEELEVEN

Nasa press conference starts: We actually found dust in mars which could hint a possible chance for ice under it.

yea.. I'll pass thank you.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
How about the "shadow biosphere"?
NASA and the enigma of terrestrial life

it may be a boring subject for conspiracy addicted people, but it is incredibly attracting if your are at least a little science-friendly...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I've heard from a reliable source in the science field this rumour...

NASA to announce life on Titan

I'm on the phones now trying to get more information, stay tuned.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I imagine this is just going to be an official announcement that the Cassini probe has discovered oxygen in the atmosphere of Saturn's moon Rhea, thus implying there's water there being split into hydrogen and oxygen... and that if it's happening there, oxygen atmospheres must be pretty common on a cosmic scale, meaning exobiological lifeforms are more likely now than ever. Funny thing is, Cassini made this discovery almost nine months ago, but they're just now telling everyone about it disclosing it.

Details here.

No, never mind, I must be wrong; they announced that days ago. So. Life on Titan it is, then.

edit on 11/30/2010 by Thought Provoker because: In a hurry.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Right, an update:

According to the information NASA is about to announce life on Titan due to the media advisory notes point to a new field in the understanding of evolution and building the blocks of life. Discovery of potential signs of exotic life (non-carbon based)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Interesting.
Titan does have the reputation of being a frozen version of early Earth. With a hydrocarbon cycle analogous, to Earths water cycle. But I am no biologist. Could this support an exotic form of life?

How well placed is your source?
Do we call them Titaniites?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

As NASA concluded many months ago, something is breathing in the atmosphere and consuming fuel on the surface. The media notes, as well, point to the discussion of alternative life in the universe that challenges the concept of singularity of carbon based life forms.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

journalists in the science field.

There quite excited. From what they're hearing is possibly Titan related. Most of them cannot think what else it could refer to. NASA did mention possible evidence for life on Titan, but held back the public confirmation - until all evidence and analysts confirmed the existence of primitive life.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
probable they found water again but this time on earth

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join