It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Press Conference December 2 To Reveal "Astrobiology" Finding!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
from the notes

Washington, D.C. Agency officials said the discovery is in the field of astrobiology, which is the study of the origin, evolution and distribution of life in the universe.

Now, my sources have said that if this is not related to Saturn system - or even Jupiter - then this might be something outside the Solar System. Which we don't know about. However, in our discussions, neither of us thought we had the ability to analysis astrobiology data - or even gather it - outside our star system.

But all I am hearing is Titan.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is going to be a press conference which discusses the findings of the Cassini probe that Saturn's moon Rhea is rich in oxygen. They will speculate, blah blah blah, and it's all to help justify/increase their budget in this research.

End of story.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Exciting none the less. Even if they find the beginnings of life somewhere initially doubted or the chance for a "perfect storm" to formulate life on a distant world, I'll be pleased.

For me, further admission of space borne particles and micro lifeforms would be disclosure enough. It proves that evolution can happen off world and life can exist off world, so who is to say we were the first to get this advanced?

Anyway, looking forward to hearing about it. I'll be sure to put a reminder in my day calendar.

Stay optimistic friends, NASA does disappoint more often than not, especially lately, but I still hold out some hope on exciting and earth shattering news someday.

...Of course it doesn't have to be actual, physical earth shattering news.... that would be bad. haha.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

If they are announcing the discovery of non-carbon based life forms, regardless of how primitive, then I think I am correct in believing that this would have massive implications in the likelihood of intelligent or advanced life forms being quite common.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
This is going to be a press conference which discusses the findings of the Cassini probe that Saturn's moon Rhea is rich in oxygen. They will speculate, blah blah blah, and it's all to help justify/increase their budget in this research.

End of story.

You may be right. However, I believe that the 2 key words here are "Astrobiology Discovery". I hope that the title of the press release is to be taken literally.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Disclosure?

I'm sorry but I see no evidence what so ever that the scientific community DENY that life exists in the unfathomably large universe.

It's mathematically problematic for any scientist or government to deny this, and I have not heard any of them do so.

What would you like them to disclose? Something that everyone already accepts?

There will be no disclosure of the type that you folks want. There will be no admission of "little green men". There are no alien brothers or alien villains close enough to care about us puny humans. But of course, it makes us feel special and important to believe that in vast and unfathomable universe we matter enough for them to spend absolutely humongous resources to fly around in our atmosphere with blinking lights whilst stealing cattle genitals.

Would it be amazing if they announced that they had indeed discovered life, or something like it, in our neighbourhood? Of course! But it would not be surprising in any way.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Even if it is life that turns out to be a bacterium or a flatworm-like creature, I'll be more than elated to know that Earth shares the beauty of life in another place of our solar system.

It's the baby steps that lead us in the right direction.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
According to SaLuSa, which is like an alien being channeled or some other bs that i dont really buy into but they say they ARE pushing their hand.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Duh.
Does NASA know space.
Has it ever told us about space.
Disney and von Braun on ABC in the 1950s, is that enough.
Enough for mind control.

Set your mind to actual science of tremendous voltage on the Sun.
To the great space currents from the Sun.
The 50x the speed of light particles from Sun.
To 36 inches of lead shielding needed outside the Earth that the
Earth's atmosphere provides us free.
The universe is filled with unprotected rocks, potential life form plants,
that kill any life form due to lack of atmosphere.
Exactly the Earth is needed with a vast kill zone around it.
Booze sellers make the end more evident than the life in space sellers.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Thanks for the information. I certainly hope you are in a position to know this because it certainly would be excitingl. I remember a while back reading about a chemical signature on one of the moons that could be a result of life on the surface and I'm hoping this is what this turns out to be.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

If they are announcing the discovery of non-carbon based life forms, regardless of how primitive, then I think I am correct in believing that this would have massive implications in the likelihood of intelligent or advanced life forms being quite common.
reply to post by Freeborn

Exactly. At that point there will be no denying it. And it being a non-carbon based life form reminds me of an old Star Trek episode in which they discover a silicon based life form. It leaves the door open for life to exist in many different forms throughout the universe.

Exciting times.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

Okay...this is it people. We all know disclosure must begin on a small level before TPTB will admit to the presense of intelligent extraterrestrial life. I wonder if the ETs are pushing their hand a bit to bring about this announcment.

I suppose that this may be the outcome... but honestly? I seriously doubt it.

NASA doesn't have the hardware anywhere in the solar system (except maybe on Earth) to determine the existence of life to a point of certainty. There are some very good indicators to be found, on Mars, on Titan, on Europa. But there's not going to be any ET pronouncements based on the hints of indicators alone.

My guess is that it will have something to do with the way Enceladus is leaking oxygen to Titan and blending with that moon's atmosphere to create some very interesting chemistry that, again, hints at the possibility of life.

Another point worth noting would be that when the day comes when this announcement does happen, it will be of of historic imporatance and will not be left to some NASA scientists to make alone. You may at the very least expect to see the PotUS at the podium.

To their shameful discredit, NASA is playing circus master here, allowing the media speculation to run rampant. Like a tabloid headline maker, they are sitting back and letting their readers run a story that just isn't so.

And you can bet they are getting a load of belly laughs at our expense.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Another point worth noting would be that when the day comes when this announcement does happen, it will be of of historic imporatance and will not be left to some NASA scientists to make alone. You may at the very least expect to see the PotUS at the podium.
reply to post by redoubt

You make a good point there. Does anyone remember President Clinton saying something on TV about that Martian meteorite that was thought to possibly contain fossilized microorganisms?

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There was speculation, late this past Spring, about the absence of the expected hydrogen and acetylene at the surface of Saturn's moon Titan. This seemed to hint at the possibility that life there was consuming it, modifying the atmosphere. These speculations may by now have been developed to the point of being a probable theory of life on Titan. This would still presumably be carbon based life, but the solvent could be liquid methane (CH4), instead of water, as on Earth. Water is permanently frozen on Titan and is essentially a form of rock. Ross

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
So I was searching popular science earlier today out of boredom and came across a picture of Saturns moon Rhea that everyone thinks NASA is going to talk about:

www.popsci.com...

Does anyone else find the incredibly symmetrical triangle embedded in its surface awkward? Any explanations? How could that be natural.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Maybe they are going to tell us what created and is living in the caves on Mars.

Look at the PIA10214.jpg image they have and look at that big hill on the right top of the image. Look at the left side of the hill and you'll see the cave entrances.

photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Check out this thread from last spring about Titan.. Cassini just made its flyby in October and probably has more detailed data as far as the Hydrogen and Acetylene questions that were put forth. I doubt it is Rhea, isn't the atmosphere really thin? Also, you would need more than Oxygen.. We need water for all of our bodily functions, on Titan you have liquid methane. We can't live in an environment that cold because our bodies fluid would freeze.. On Titan, the Methane would be a liquid and as long as it's a liquid I don't see any problem with it being used by life as a bodily fluid. If you brought the life from Titan to Earth it would sublime.. Them little microbes are probably thinking the same thing about Earth that some of us say about them. It's too hot, there's no liquid methane we would explode, blah blah. You have fuel and a fluid for the life, and an unexplained anomoly of various gases, makes sense to me. How does H2O being non-polar effect our bodily functions? Would a polar bodily fluid not be plausible? Here is the thread on Titan:

NASA finds two potential life signatures on moon Titan.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants
reply to post by Tnewguy

Yeah but even if it's just an announcement about some earth life form that can survive in alien conditions perhaps that is the prelude to the announcment that microbiological extraterrestrial life has been found. It's all about baby steps.

head of project

Dr. Mary A. Voytek, a microbiologist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Reston, VA, took charge of NASA's Astrobiology Program effective September 15, 2008

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants
You make a good point there. Does anyone remember President Clinton saying something on TV about that Martian meteorite that was thought to possibly contain fossilized microorganisms?

That would be that silly rock that was blasted off the surface of Mars... achieved orbit, actually escape velocity, then headed for Earth and fell in Antarctica where it was just lying around on the ice for someone to find...

Then on top of that extraordinary coincidence, even though the majority of the meteorite burned up on entry and fused the surface of the rest, they were still able to spot a nano bacteria with no DNA inside this miracle meteorite.

And just how did they compare it to Martian rock in the first place? Did they call up the team on Mars and get a comparison test? or did they just 'guess' this came from Mars?

Evidence of Ancient Martian Life in Meteorite ALH84001?
nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov...

How do we know the meteorite came from Mars?
...presumably...
...which suggests...
...compelling evidence...
...indication of life...
...do not appear to be contaminants...
...presumed conditions...
...almost certain...

yeah I figured... they guessed

NASA Never a Straight Answer

The mixture of PAHs found on ALH84001 is very different from that found on dust grains and other meteorites, suggesting the possibility of a biological origin. Thousands of different types of PAHs are found all over the Earth, but those in ALH84001 do not appear to be contaminants which have leaked into the meteorite.

edit on 1-12-2010 by zorgon because: Classified

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
'Did they find ET?': Speculation about alien life reaches fever pitch ahead of momentous NASA announcement

NASA has sparked alien hysteria around the world with its announcement of a major press conference to be held tomorrow.

The space agency says it plans to reveal an 'astrobiology finding that will impact the search for evidence of extraterrestrial life.'

Astrobiology is the study of the origin, evolution, distribution and future of life in the universe.

D aily Mail

Starting to make the press now in the UK

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join