It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Army Unveils 'Revolutionary' XM25 Rifle in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
"The XM25, designed by Minnesota's Alliant Techsystems, has been in development for about seven years and the first prototypes have been doled out to combat units in Afghanistan earlier this month."

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

This seems like an amazing piece of weaponry.. although I am against killing other individuals, if you are in a firefight, this seems like something you would want on your side.

The price tag of $35,000 a unit is crazy.. I can only wonder what the rounds alone cost.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thats a mean weapon.

Here`s the link to the video

video.foxnews.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I'd like to order two of those to go please....
and a side of fries.

That's one slick piece of equipment. I wonder if its one of those good in the lab, $h!tty in the field type weapons?
I guess I'll have to wait and hear the reports from my buds over seas when their tours are up.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mactire
I'd like to order two of those to go please....
and a side of fries.

That's one slick piece of equipment. I wonder if its one of those good in the lab, $h!tty in the field type weapons?
I guess I'll have to wait and hear the reports from my buds over seas when their tours are up.

My bet would be the reliability factor of the ammo. The gun seems straight forward enough, its the consistency of the ammo that will make or break this new weapon system.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Previous threads on the XM-25:

XM25 Prototypes 500% lethality increase
XM25 Prototypes To U.S. Army For Testing

seems basically a smaller, more portable, and, better yet, Programmable grenade launcher.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
How long until local Police Units have this weapon?

Line two thanks.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Probably right along with when AT4s and Hand Grenades are handed out as standard issue for law enforcement.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BigDave-AR

Jeea, I wish people would invest even half what is invested in the destruction business, into more efficent and REALLY clean energy FFS. I mean how many ways do we really need to destroy stuff and kill each other.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
You have got to watch this video about the XM-25 not because of the amazing gun, but for the total tool interviewing the Army Colonel. Its the most cringe-worthy interview I have seen in a long time.

posted on Nov, 29 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by BigDave-AR

Jeea, I wish people would invest even half what is invested in the destruction business, into more efficent and REALLY clean energy FFS. I mean how many ways do we really need to destroy stuff and kill each other.

I have to agree with you....but you know, destruction is more money!! lol

Its a 2fer.. money to design something that destroys, then more money to replace that which was destroyed. Oh silly humans...

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
If this really works as advertised it could change War are we know it. It could stop a War like we are fighting now.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
"The XM25, designed by Minnesota's Alliant Techsystems, has been in development for about seven years and the first prototypes have been doled out to combat units in Afghanistan earlier this month."

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

This seems like an amazing piece of weaponry.. although I am against killing other individuals, if you are in a firefight, this seems like something you would want on your side.

The price tag of $35,000 a unit is crazy.. I can only wonder what the rounds alone cost.

Is there currently a weapon or DARPA project that *hasnt* been tested in Afghanistan?

SIgh..those poor people.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steve8511
If this really works as advertised it could change War are we know it. It could stop a War like we are fighting now.

Stop war? How? It might be just daydreaming.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

thats just plain sexy

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
As long as it's reliable and easy to operate quickly, it will bring a major change to urban warfare. I think they will eventually go back to the OICW design though - it's just too tempting to shoot a few rounds to get the enemy low and then send one of these after them.

I don't think most people realize just how scary and significant this thing is. Sure, there were always nade launchers and anti-personnel RPG rounds for buildings, but for roofs and sandbags with no "back wall," this is huge.
edit on 30-11-2010 by avraell because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
For every offensive capability there will come a defensive counter. In this case the counter has to be mobile and heavily armored to enable the enemy to move, survive and engage against this weapon system.

Time for mechanized suits?
edit on 30-11-2010 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

I just saw this on the front page of Yahoo ...

You all realize the project was canceled because the weapon and ammo combo didn't work out so well... some of these air burst rounds were detonating as soon as they left the barrel...

The South Koreans made there own version of the same weapon (Daewoo) but the jury is still out on it...

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Originally posted by DaddyBare

You all realize the project was canceled because the weapon and ammo combo didn't work out so well... some of these air burst rounds were detonating as soon as they left the barrel.

While you are correct in bringing up that the XM-25 project had been canceled, it appears that the "air-burst" weapon simply had too much potential]/i] to simply shelve. It looks like the military is going ahead and putting these weapons into the hands of combat troops as soon as possible (this weapon system should already being seeing combat as we speak).

Army officials approved Friday the fielding of about 40 of the Star Ship Troopers-esque XM-25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement Weapon System for a line infantry battalion in the 101st Airborne division serving in Afghanistan.

According to PEO Soldier Brig. Gen. Pete Fuller, the 101st (he wouldn’t say specifically which battalion) issued an Urgent Needs Statement asking for the airburst weapon to smoke out Talibs in their canals, bunkers and qalats. The Army approved the UNS Oct. 8 and earmarked $10 million to build 36 brand new weapons. The Army has five on hand and will ship them to the 101st battalion Nov. 1.
SOURCE

I can't help but wonder if it's the weapons system or the situation in Afghanistan that is provoking this move. While the potential of the XM-25 is obvious, there have been "issues" with the weapon that did, after all, cause the program to be 'suspended'. Have these issues been cleared up? Or...is the situation in Afghanistan so desperate so as to preclude further testing and development? Of course, maybe the XM-25 IS ready to "rock 'n roll"?

It will be interesting to see how this weapon does perform in the environment for which it was actually designed.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tayesin
How long until local Police Units have this weapon?

Line two thanks.

Its lightweight design allows for the possibility for mounted units to use it and it's ability to blow-up where you want it allows for better dispersal of CN or CS gas in crowd control situations. The thing looks like one hulking multipurpose rifle.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Interesting weapon.

Surely if this thing works reliably it re-writes the infantry rule book? At a stroke there is little point in any kind of cover or static position. Without needing to deploy mortars, anti tank weapons or air support.

If it works it will save lives and money.

This is only the start. I can imagine in 15 years a guided projectile being fired from the next generation of this (using range and direction data data-linked from another squad).

We are slowly getting to where Judge Dredds gun was in the comics 30 years ago :-)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join