It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Here are your million year old trees...

8 Million Year Old Trees...

[second line]

edit on 23-11-2010 by Mactire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
it could be that man cut them all down!
england use't to be coverd with trees.
400 years ago in england they tryd to ever one cutting trees down.
they gave them fines.
a Lot of war ships where built.

link   
There also fossilised evidence of trees, some dating back to the Triassic period, some 250 million years ago

en.wikipedia.org...

Tress back then including lycophytes, cycads, and ginkophyta and even conifers
edit on 23/11/2010 by OzWeatherman because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Segador

Segador,

darn

I missed this post...oh well....maybe a few deep breaths and try the old guy again...ok?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Mactire

Yeah, You can actually see the parts that are reminiscent of trees in the top of the right-most one.

Anyways, OP come on
" The Petrified Forest is known for its fossils, especially fallen trees, that lived in the Late Triassic, about 225 million years ago"
The argument is over, this thread should be closed now.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
I am not trying to prove anything to you...it is all on you friend...
I'm simply asking a very logical question...
If you can't admit humans are very different from trees...I can't convince you

Fair enough. I feel the same.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
Okay OP have you missed the any links others have posted that show you various tree systems and trees that are well over 1 million years old?

What's a tree "SYSTEM"

System of a Down...ed TREE?

www.youtube.com...

= = = = =

Just a joke.....

I'll check it out...
edit on 23-11-2010 by OldThinker because:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

alot of crazy crap can happen to a tree in 10k years. i'm amazed we can find one that old. i don't doubt though that somewhere on this earth there is one at least 30-40k old.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I wasnt putting you down personally. I was stating my opinion on your theory. I noticed you only focused on one sentence of my reply though. Care to provide an comments on the evidence I provided?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

It's the Earth, it's really old. Things on Earth die and the tree is not immortal (or is it). Truth be told who really knows anything around this big egg. We all know nothing, nothing whatsoever when it comes down to it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Not here to argue at all. I am having trouble posting links currently.....but, has nobody ever heard of Meadowcroft? Just really curious as it hasnt been mentioned. Would link if I can figure out how.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
wasnt there evidence that orientals developed water travel 20,000 years ago? i could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Meadowcroft Rockshelter

There you go:

" It is 16,000 years old"

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Source: AIG

They think it was the flood...

First published:
Creation 10(1):10
December 1987

by Jerry Bergman and Robert Doolan

By far the tallest living things are redwood trees. Relatives of the sequoia, they can soar taller than a 36-storey building. Like all trees, redwoods and sequoias continue to grow as long as they are alive. Thus, the longer a tree lives, the taller and wider it becomes.

Except for men who cut them down for timber or earthquakes, fires and lightning—redwoods and sequoias have few enemies. Scientists have researched the redwoods carefully, and have not found even one that has died of old age, sickness, or insect attack. This latter is a common problem of trees. The Dutch elm disease killed and ruined thousands of the beautiful shade trees of many American small towns.

It is significant therefore that no redwood tree has been found older than about 4,000 years. There are, though, many sequoias and redwoods in the 3,000 year-old range. The most famous sequoia tree, ‘General Sherman’, located in the Sequoia National Park in California, is about as high as a 27-storey building. It has been around for something like 4,000 years. To support its height, its immense trunk is so large that 17 men stretching out their arms could just about reach around it. This single tree contains enough wood to construct 100 modern houses.

But as tall and old as many sequoias are, they are not the oldest tree. A bristlecone pine in the White Mountains of California has this honour. It is more than 4,000 years old.

As trees such as the bristlecone pines and the redwoods are still living after 4,000 years or more, and seem impervious to the normal problems of trees, it is conceivable that they could live another 4,000 years or longer—a total of 8,000 years! Why then, are none found much older than 4,000 years?

It would seem that if these trees grew before this time, it would take something like a catastrophic natural disaster to wipe them out. This is seen as strong evidence for Noah’s Flood having occurred a little more than 4,000 years ago.

edit on 24/11/10 by masqua because: Added live link

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

Thank you. I cant currently link. I live near there.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Are you accepting the science for the dating of this tree?
Yet not the same science for the dating of everything else that is older from bones to stone adzes etc?

edit on 23-11-2010 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by colonelblake

Dunno about that. theres evidence that caucaisians lived in the region of China in prehistoric times, so that could mean that there were boat travel back then, which would make sense because Asians love fish
Jk, jk, but it could mean that either asians or caucasians dominated the seas back then

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Oldthinker, can I ask you if you accept the fact that the earth is something around, 4,54 billion years old? Which has been proven through radiometric age dating... or will you never accept that as a possibility?

If you cant then there is no point in discussing this

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Oldest Living Trees:

A colony of 47,000 quaking aspen trees (nicknamed "Pando") covering 106 acres (Template:Rnd/c4dec0 |43|(0)]] ha) in Fishlake National Forest, United States is considered one of the oldest and largest organisms in the world. It has been estimated to be 800,000 to a million years old, although tree ring samples determine individual, above-ground, trees to only average 130 years.[4][5][6][7] A colony of Huon pine trees covering 1 hectare (Template:Rnd/c4dec1 |2.5|(1)]] acres) on Mount Read, Tasmania is estimated to be around 10,000 years old, as determined by DNA samples taken from pollen collected from the sediment of a nearby lake.

en.wikipedia.org...

OP this is the last time I will be postingthis information. Enough with the flood, there are much older trees than 9550 years old!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?,

We CAN find trees that are older than 10K yrs old.
Your title thread seems to be inacurate.

Many elepants in the room. Pleas acknowledge the elephant.

Originally posted by kokoro
We may not have living trees over 10,000 years old but we do have fossilized amber (which is produced by trees) that date to 320 million years ago. So clearly trees have been around for quite some time.

Bray, P. S.; Anderson, K. B. 2009. Identification of Carboniferous (320 million years old) class Ic amber. Science. 326: 132–134.

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
The oldest human to have ever lived was 122 years old, should we assume the Earth is no older than that?

The oldest tortoise was 188, should we also assume this is the oldest the Earth can be?

The fact we found a tree that has lived nearly 10,000 years is incredible, but shouldn't indicate the age of the Earth in any way. Trees from the "petrified forest" existed more than 3 million years ago (and repudiates the notion we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old).

Originally posted by defcon5
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

There is evidence of trees dating much further back then 10K years, but as any organism on earth, they have a lifespan. With the oldest living tree listed as being 6000 years old (Sunland Baobab). There is plenty of evidence of petrified trees dating back millions of years:

Petrified National Forest
The Petrified Forest is known for its fossils, especially fallen trees, that lived in the Late Triassic, about 225 million years ago.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Thanks

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join