It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can the earth be millions of yrs old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
How can the earth be millions of years old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

I don't know how old the earth is...neither do you friend.

But can't you skeptics just admit this is puzzling to your worldview? I mean many of those that believe in a young earth put it around 10K years old...right in line with the age of this tree in Sweden...

World's Oldest Living Tree -- 9550 Years Old -- Discovered In Sweden
ScienceDaily (Apr. 16, 2008) — The world's oldest recorded tree is a 9,550 year old spruce in the Dalarna province of Sweden. The spruce tree has shown to be a tenacious survivor that has endured by growing between erect trees and smaller bushes in pace with the dramatic climate changes over time.

OT

Because it Isn't. And there is no Tree in Sweden that is 9550 years old.

Do You People not Understand? The Earth is NOT as it appears.

It's Flat. Once, Then it's Round.

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
How can the earth be millions of years old and we can't find a tree over 10K yrs old?

I don't know how old the earth is...neither do you friend.

But can't you skeptics just admit this is puzzling to your worldview? I mean many of those that believe in a young earth put it around 10K years old...right in line with the age of this tree in Sweden...

World's Oldest Living Tree -- 9550 Years Old -- Discovered In Sweden
ScienceDaily (Apr. 16, 2008) — The world's oldest recorded tree is a 9,550 year old spruce in the Dalarna province of Sweden. The spruce tree has shown to be a tenacious survivor that has endured by growing between erect trees and smaller bushes in pace with the dramatic climate changes over time.

For many years the spruce tree has been regarded as a relative newcomer in the Swedish mountain region. "Our results have shown the complete opposite, that the spruce is one of the oldest known trees in the mountain range," says Leif Kullman, Professor of Physical Geography at Umeå University.

A fascinating discovery was made under the crown of a spruce in Fulu Mountain in Dalarna. Scientists found four "generations" of spruce remains in the form of cones and wood produced from the highest grounds.

The discovery showed trees of 375, 5,660, 9,000 and 9,550 years old and everything displayed clear signs that they have the same genetic makeup as the trees above them. Since spruce trees can multiply with root penetrating braches, they can produce exact copies, or clones.

The tree now growing above the finding place and the wood pieces dating 9,550 years have the same genetic material. The actual has been tested by carbon-14 dating at a laboratory in Miami, Florida, USA.

Previously, pine trees in North America have been cited as the oldest at 4,000 to 5,000 years old

Source: www.sciencedaily.com...

I want to highlight this line...

The discovery showed trees of 375, 5,660, 9,000 and 9,550 years old and everything displayed clear signs that they have the same genetic makeup as the trees above them.

Notice that the various-aged-trees had the "same genetic make-up" meaning that the basic substances that the each tree were extremely similiar..so why haven't we found older ones with the same make-up....could it be something as simple as the earth wasn't here then?

OT

Quite simple!

The earth was reborn about 14,000yrs ago to make way for us in these flesh bodies.....but rarely does that version ever make it out of the gate.

Most churches never teach that either.

2nd Peter talks about the 3 earth ages, the world that was, the world that is, and the world to come. But how many people actually read a Bible?

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

because trees eventually die. i have a better question, are you suggesting bones from dinosaurs are only around 10k old? i cant imagine man having pleasent encounters with them

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by C1OUD

This has made us all the stupider for reading it.

Thanks OP and all the following posters that has kept this going! I have to admit, OP, that about page 3, you made me consider why don't we find other trees of similar nature that are older in that area.

The way you originally presented the question lead me to believe you thought the world was only 10k years old. And I enjoyed reading the evidence presented to you that the earth is indeed more than 10,000 years old..

Can we stop this discussion about if we have an Earth under 1 billion years?

Sincerely,
GrisGris

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
um, because the trees die and decompose? lol

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
For sanity's sake I am assuming you meant no LIVING tree.

I take it you're unfamiliar with the petrified forest of Lesvos, which is thought to be 20 million years old.

edit on 27-11-2010 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Wow, what a troll.

Why don't you just make the argument that the Earth can't be older than you?

When there's something interesting that I can debunk, I always feel good.

But in this case, I feel disgusted.
edit on 11/27/2010 by die_another_day because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
just because they cant find one thing over a certain age, doesnt mean they havent found other things older than the subject in question.

its narrow minded to think that just because something doesnt exist beyond a time frame, nothing did.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
It has already been stated in this thread but i will also repeat and say yeees! Trees are organic and not eternal!

They wont live forever, some fall over, some burn, some are eating by fingus, bacteria, insects and animals. Although has anyone forgotten about fossils? We use fossils for all sorts of dating and history recording, so why are trees any different??

Perhaps have a look at the below article

Fossil hunters say they have found the world's oldest known tree, a palm-like giant that lived some 380 million years ago.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

OT, I did not respond to this thread earlier simply because I found it downright embarrassing however, now that you have been made to look a complete christian idiot by the reasoning minds of ATS members do you not now think it about time that you did a little introspection ?

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
youve got to be kidding--discussions have broken down to this???

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
To the OP, I don't mean to sound rude or be insulting by saying this (although it probably will!), but you really should do a little research on cosmology or at least just do a quick google search, it would take you all of 30 seconds to get the answers to your ridiculous question instead of wasting time and space on ATS.

I seriously hope you are just a young and very naive kid, but unfortunately I have the feeling you're probably not.

The internet is a source of endless knowledge, try looking up a little science

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Sorry for the late reply. And propably this has already been pointed out:

Pando, which is estimated to be some 80k yrs old.

Also you have to remember that big trees make formidable planks to be used in buildings, ships etc. And you'd get heck of an amount wood to burn.

Who knows how long tree can live if allowed? But probably some greedy bastards cut them all down, or there were a windy storm, or some fungi that decomposed them.

-v

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Try googling "Wollemi Pines"....might help the OP in his somewhat cryptic quest .........

2nd thingy......

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
Because when the earth is rock, and lava and toxic gasses, trees cant grow.......

2nd line

That was truly priceless. I was waiting to see what would be the responses to this, since it sounded like an interesting post, but then, common sense comes along to put an abrupt end to it. Also, maybe we can't find trees older than that because trees can't live to be TENS OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS OLD?! I mean, your logic here is flawed. If we can't find a tree older than 10,000 years old, than surely we haven't been around that long. Well, trees older than that have likely decomposed into dust and dirt. I don't mean to sound rude, so excuse my manners. But still, as most said, just do a simple google search or something. The answer isn't hard.
edit on 28-11-2010 by TheThinker101 because: Adding some more information.

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeterGriffin
Notice the ZERO flags...It is just a ridiculous question. So are you saying that YOU THINK the earth is only 10,000 years old? Did you get this idea after reading "the good book"? I'm guessing you think dinosaurs are made up to, eh?

Oh come on, dinosaurs are real. It's just that the lamestream media and liberal communists rewrote our history books so that you didn't know that we used to have them as pets!

posted on Nov, 28 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It appears not to be older than the ice age that happened 10,000 years ago.

top topics

<< 15  16  17   >>

join