It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

With TSA Under Fire, Is Racial Profiling on the Table?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

With TSA Under Fire, Is Racial Profiling on the Table?

www.cbsnews.com

Despite news reports about overzealous pat-downs and other indignities tied to the Transportation Security Administration's new body scanning procedures, most Americans say they support use of the procedures - though, crucially, support may be slipping.

Still, the uproar has prompted some to ask - albeit tentatively in some cases - if the time had come to consider using racial and other profiling as a security measure.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
What do you guys think?

I am surprised that 64% of the respondents of the poll said that they support racial and all other types of profiling.

In my opinion, this is starting to be eerily reminiscent to WW2 were Jews were being demonized by Hitler before the Holocaust...

With all the Islamophobia going on recently, will the next Holocaust be a Muslim one??

Will we ever learn from history??

Shall we repeat the same mistakes of tyrants that we so much despise??

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I do support racial profiling.

I am not a racist, I am a native New Yorker and I was in the city on 9/11/01. It was not the Italians, Russians, Mexicans, or any other race we have here in the melting pot of America that was responsible for that day.

Whether you believe the official story or not, is up to you. The fact is the Taliban, Al Queda, are Middle Eastern groups and have made several threats to the well being of our country is reason enough for me to single out the Middle Easterns.

How quickly Americans forget that after Pearl Harbor, all Japanese people were rounded up and sent to detainment camps. Was that the right thing to do? That's not my place to say, but it did prevent any other attacks on American soil at that time.

If some people need to feel uncomfortable for the majority to feel safe, so be it.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Profiling absolutely is an effective and necessary tool. Racial profiling, in the common defiintion of the term, is an utter waste of time and resources.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It not only should be on the table, it swhould have been enplimented long ago.............of course with terrorist professioanl victim groups like CAIR etc, we have had to be pc about it. Now that it affects all of us, more people are definitely gonna come on board with this idea, it only makes sense.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Steam

You also have to ask yourself, is what they are doing to people who are obviously no threat to anyone reasonable.

The Left loves to throw around the "Racial" Profiling card. What they are talking about is if you buy a one way ticket with cash at the last minute, just flew in from Yemen and are on a Watch List kind of Profiling. I'm not surprised it's being misrepresented. I assume when they start body cavity searches at Little League Games people will wake up, but for now many are still sound asleep and happy in their little PC Worlds.

People don't use their heads. You know that less than 4,000 people have been killed by Terrorists in the US in the last hundred years. Getting on an airplane is about the least dangerous thing you can do. Driving to work is thousands of times more dangerous. You really think this is about Terror? It's about conditioning us for what is yet to come if they have their way.

It's simple, if you are not a Sheep they call you a Racist or use the Racial Profiling Card to insult you into letting them fondle your childrens privates to stop Terrorists. How stupid does a person have to be to believe that. Pretty dumb I'd say; a real short bus candidate in fact.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr. Strange

You have got to be kidding me...just because you lived somewhere in one of the worlds largest cities during the 9/11 attack, really doesn't add any weight to you statement whatsoever. Never in all my life have I ever heard anyone draw such a bizarre conclusion as to the effect of the Japanese internment camps. Wow..just wow. No I am pretty sure the war in the pacific and Japans lack of capacity to carry on to the mainland is what really stopped further Japanese incursions on the the United States.

Catholics killed countless millions of Spanish, French, Cathars(also french), etc.. so by your logic we should hold all catholics accountable and profile them for eternity? There are more than a billion wonderful good hearted muslims in the world. There are also a billion good hearted Catholics...so based on your logic we should just slap em all in jail, or camps because you're a chicken? Absolutely the worst rational ever.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Lemme guess, you don't speak English - you speak AMERICAN!

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I am practical. I believe you profile by any means necessary to determine risk. It is what we do every day in our lives. You see a plump person family going towards the buffet, you are going to speed up to try to beat them to it. A white person playing basketball....you lower your expectations. If a white guy is a running back in the NFL, everyone is surprised.

I refuse to allow peoples threats of calling me a racist to continue to alter my natural behavior. I know the truth about who i am, as do people i know IRL. Yes, we should profile. Not the black kid driving the nice car, mind you. But a blond haired, 4 year old boy searched just seems exceedingly stupid. You are not fooling anyone with such stupid antics.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

You see, you put in the proper light there though. The OP supposition was greatly off kilter in at least as far as he tried to support his view.

I agree with your comments from the angle of nature: walk into the forest, get attacked by wolves, next time I see a wolf, Im going to reevaluate going in the woods.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

2 things.

1. I lost 2 friends on that day, so anything that might help save other lives I support.

2. Go pick up a history book. Pearl Harbor was just one of many attacks planned on America. Granted some were completely stupid, such as attaching bombs to balloons, there were some that required people on American soil. There were German and Japanese spies in America during World War 2. The interment camps were cruel and not well thought out, but they worked. Could it have been handled a different way? Yes.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr. Strange
I do support racial profiling.

I am not a racist, I am a native New Yorker and I was in the city on 9/11/01. It was not the Italians, Russians, Mexicans, or any other race we have here in the melting pot of America that was responsible for that day.

Whether you believe the official story or not, is up to you. The fact is the Taliban, Al Queda, are Middle Eastern groups and have made several threats to the well being of our country is reason enough for me to single out the Middle Easterns.

How quickly Americans forget that after Pearl Harbor, all Japanese people were rounded up and sent to detainment camps. Was that the right thing to do? That's not my place to say, but it did prevent any other attacks on American soil at that time.

If some people need to feel uncomfortable for the majority to feel safe, so be it.

Yup, lets just throw all those damn Muslims in concentration camps

Lets not forget a famous poem said by Martin Niemöller during WW2

In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up.

Martin Niemoller Poem

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Lol telling me to "pick up" a history book does not support a failing argument ...not even a little. I am very sorry for anyone losing loved ones under any auspices, for that I am sorry, but again..that also does not lend credence to your post. You tread on very shaky ground when you mention profiling religious groups. You also show your lack of understanding, perhaps clouded by emotion, but Middle Easterners are not even the most populace ethnic muslims....why the south pacific, good ol Indonesia holds that claim...matter of fact I know a number of white muslims./..and they dont dress the part...how do you propose your religous profiling work? Should we maybe tatoo all muslims with a crecent moon on their left hand perhaps?

I hope Im not coming off combative but Im hoping some of this sinks in.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I think instead of going "backwards" they will go what they think is "forwards" to RFID/National ID Card/Iris or Biometric Scans ect.

Maybe a mixture of all the above.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Racial profiling only opens the door to further abuses in the system. For example, there's a black guy, let's bust his balls because he must have some crack on him. Hey, there is a Muslim guy, let's bust his balls because he must be a terrorist. There is a Mexican guy, so let's bust his balls because he must be an illegal alien. Hey there is a Jewish guy, let's leave him alone because he is going to sue us for being anti-semitic. I question the true agenda of anyone who recommends racial profiling because it is quite the slippery slope.

"I am not a racist, I am a native New Yorker and I was in the city on 9/11/01. It was not the Italians, Russians, Mexicans, or any other race we have here in the melting pot of America that was responsible for that day."

And how do you know who was responsible for that day since an adequate investigation was never completed?

"Whether you believe the official story or not, is up to you. The fact is the Taliban, Al Queda, are Middle Eastern groups and have made several threats to the well being of our country is reason enough for me to single out the Middle Easterns."

Yep, according to the Zionist controlled media, a trustworthy group indeed with no agenda whatsoever. By the way, since you have enough reason to single out Middle Easterners, this includes Israelis also, since they too are Middle Easterners. I'm sure you would have no problem with that, right?

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Steam

Not just in Germany. Look what our own country did to Japanese-Americans. It amazes me how often people say of any idea of FEMA camp scenario that 'Oh, no that could never happen in America!' It already did. I can't shake the feeling that something a lot bigger is coming down the pipe (though I don't mean camps.) And no, that is not a prediction.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
Racial profiling only opens the door to further abuses in the system. For example, there's a black guy, let's bust his balls because he must have some crack on him. Hey, there is a Muslim guy, let's bust his balls because he must be a terrorist. There is a Mexican guy, so let's bust his balls because he must be an illegal alien. Hey there is a Jewish guy, let's leave him alone because he is going to sue us for being anti-semitic. I question the true agenda of anyone who recommends racial profiling because it is quite the slippery slope.

Am I the only one noticing how strange this paragraph is? I mean the part about Jews....that is not something I have ever heard as a stereotype, honestly.

But you may be right. Jewish leaders are very staunch whiners about the injustice of the past. They are not the only racial group, mind you.
edit on 23-11-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowfoot

That is why I did not use the word "Muslims", I said "Middle Eastern". This isn't about religious profiling, it's racial profiling, as in race.

I'm sorry that your entire argument is based off a misinterpretation of my first post.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
It occurs to me there are two schools of thought here.

Some people are willing to compromise their security for the rights of others, and some people who are willing to compromise the rights of others for their security. I count myself in the former group. Eventually, we will all lose our lives, but we can leave our rights to future generations.

posted on Nov, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
It occurs to me there are two schools of thought here.

Some people are willing to compromise their security for the rights of others, and some people who are willing to compromise the rights of others for their security. I count myself in the former group. Eventually, we will all lose our lives, but we can leave our rights to future generations.

Then there are us "third campers" who would rather not sacrifice anyones liberty, but rather just use common sense risk management strategies.

Two black men walk into an interview with me. 1 wearing a polo and some dockers, the other in baggy jeans and a scarface shirt. Guess which one i will profile into not offering a job?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join