It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Most Terrifying and Mysterious Creatures

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Here's a strange creature that someone shot and killed in Nelson County, Kentucky.

www.wave3.com...

Any ideas on what it is?

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

For awhile I lived in the Camden County new jersey. Outside of Camden county was the pine barrens where the jersey devil lurked. During my teen years everybody knew at least one story about this beasty and they where
all terrifying stories. I almost swear that I had my own encounter with something unnerving in the pine barrens at night. But its late I will save it for another post.
As to the Jersey Devil

THE JERSEY DEVIL
Without a doubt, New Jersey’s oldest, most enduring, and important pieces of folklore is the tale of the infamous Jersey Devil. For close to three hundred years now, Jerseyans have told tales of this mythical beast which stalks the Pine Barrens and terrorizes local residents. The recurring nature of this story begs a few of questions: Why have New Jerseyans embraced this legend so steadfastly, and above all others? Is there actually some sort of creature roaming the Pine Barrens of Southern NJ? And if so, what in God’s name is it?

www.weirdnj.com...

edit on 25-12-2010 by ELahrairah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
A couple of more submissions to this list:

The Pennangalan:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/144fdd59d38e.jpg[/atsimg]

From Wikipedia:

According to the folklore of that region [Malaysia], the Penanggalan is a detached female head that is capable of flying about on its own. As it flies, the stomach and entrails dangle below it, and these organs twinkle like fireflies as the Penanggalan moves through the night.

Due to the common theme of Penanggal being the result of active use of black magic or supernatural means, a Penanggal cannot be readily classified as a classical undead being. The creature is, for all intent and purposes, a living human being during daytime (much like the Japanese Nukekubi) or at any time when it does not detach itself from its body.

The Penanggalan is usually a female midwife who has made a pact with the devil to gain supernatural powers. It is said that the midwife has broken a stipulation in the pact not to eat meat for 40 days; having broken the pact she has been forever cursed to become a bloodsucking vampire/demon. The midwife keeps a vat of vinegar in her house. After detaching her head and flying around in the night looking for blood the Penanggalan will come home and immerse her entrails in the vat of vinegar in order to shrink them for easy entry back into her body.

The Penanggal, thus, is said to carry an odor of vinegar with her wherever she flies, and returns to her body during the daytime, often posing as an ordinary mortal woman. However, a Penanggal can always be told from an ordinary woman by that odor of vinegar.

(So, if you know any women who always seem to smell like vinegar...)

The Penanggalan's victims are traditionally pregnant women and young children. Like a banshee who appears at a birth rather than a death, the Penanggalan perches on the roofs of houses where women are in labour, screeching when the child is born. The Penanggalan will insert a long invisible tongue into the house to lap up the blood of the new mother. Those whose blood the Penanggalan feeds upon contract a wasting disease that is almost inescapably fatal. Furthermore, even if the penanggalan is not successful in her attempt to feed, anyone who is brushed by the dripping entrails will suffer painful open sores that won't heal without a bomoh's help.

A Penanggal is said to feed on human blood or human flesh although local folklore (including its variations) commonly agrees that a Penanggal prefers the blood of a newborn infant, the blood of woman who recently gave birth or the placenta (which is devoured by the Penanggal after it is buried). All folktales also agree that a Penanggal flies as it searches and lands to feed. One variation of the folklore however claims that a Penanggal is able to pass through walls. Other, perhaps more chilling, descriptions say that the Penanggal can ooze up through the cracks in the floorboards of a house, rising up into the room where an infant or woman is sleeping. Sometimes they are depicted as able to move their intestines like tentacles.

Spring Heeled Jack:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ca7748ed02f7.jpg[/atsimg]

From Wikepedia:

Spring Heeled Jack (also Springheel Jack, Spring-heel Jack, etc.) is a character from English folklore said to have existed during the Victorian era and able to jump extraordinarily high. The first claimed sighting of Spring Heeled Jack that is known occurred in 1837. Later alleged sightings were reported all over England, from London up to Sheffield and Liverpool, but they were especially prevalent in suburban London and later in the Midlands and Scotland.

Many theories have been proposed to ascertain the nature and identity of Spring Heeled Jack. The urban legend of Spring Heeled Jack gained immense popularity in its time due to the tales of his bizarre appearance and ability to make extraordinary leaps, to the point where he became the topic of several works of fiction.

Spring Heeled Jack was described by people claiming to have seen him as having a terrifying and frightful appearance, with diabolical physiognomy, clawed hands, and eyes that "resembled red balls of fire". One report claimed that, beneath a black cloak, he wore a helmet and a tight-fitting white garment like an "oilskin". Many stories also mention a "Devil-like" aspect. Spring Heeled Jack was said to be tall and thin, with the appearance of a gentleman, and capable of making great leaps. Several reports mention that he could breathe out blue and white flames and that he wore sharp metallic claws at his fingertips. At least two people claimed that he was able to speak comprehensible English.

edit on 12/25/2010 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The jersey devil should deft be top 3 IMO.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

I have heard of spring heeled jack before. The The Pennangalan takes the cake for bizarreness. Both disgusting and terrifying. I wonder how folklore comes up with some of these things. I would hate for Pennangalan to actually exist. There would be no sane way to deal with life after encountering a being like that.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELahrairah

I have heard of spring heeled jack before. The The Pennangalan takes the cake for bizarreness. Both disgusting and terrifying. I wonder how folklore comes up with some of these things. I would hate for Pennangalan to actually exist. There would be no sane way to deal with life after encountering a being like that.

Yeah, the Pennangalan is pretty much the most terrifying monster I think ever conceived, at least next to The Thing from the John Carpenter movie of the same name. I first became aware of it as a monster described in the game Dungeons and Dragons, which I play fairly regularly. I did more digging on it (which has become harder because all the first few hundred links that come up online, now, are for a shoe company called Pennangalan), and learned about the folkloric origin of the creature. It's an even worse version of a vampire.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
thanks for the pics just what i was looking for cheers

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderworld

Banshee

The Banshee, aside from being known for a piercing scream, is an Irish spirit known for being the Omen of death, and having special connections in the spirit world. She is something of a shapeshifter, in that she can appear in many forms, ranging from an ugly old hag to a ravishing beauty, but my favorite is the version where she appears as a washer-woman, and is seen washing the blood stained clothes or armour of those who are about to die. Talk about a sight that you just don’t want to see while heading down the trail. Their piercing scream is a warning that someone is about to be taken by Death, but I imagine that if your eardrums are being pierced by their shrieking and you are watching someone wash the blood from your own clothes, you are probably about ready to call it a day by then anyway.

I have another theory of the Banshee.

I believe her scream is a cry of mourning.
What if her connection with her family blood line is so strong she knows when something terrible will happen to one of them.
No woman wants to hear or see one of her children dying. I feel your children’s children are your children.
So maybe she is sad over losing one of her children.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
1 &2 seem like they would be the same 'animal' demonic axe weilding man goats... lol
thread was informative though i hadnt heard about some of these creatures
#3 looks like it would be a pet haha

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
the pope lick monster pic looks fake as fake can be...

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This is a really good thread and a interesting read.

Thanks for posting it

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Awesome read at work!
The Pennangalan, by reply post, is definitly the most f'ed up.
Wonder if any of these actually existed, under some shape or form

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
when I was a very little girl I went to a fun fair type place in Cornwall, they had built replica's of villages like the 3 little pigs village and the animals etc there were animatronic, so there was little red riding hood in her grandma's house, I was about 2yrs old and was small enough to squeeze into the house and into the gap between LRRH and the bed that 'grandma' was laid in. I stood there clinging on to the end of the bed staring at the 'grandma/wolf' answering the questions, until it got to 'my grandma what big teeth you have!' at this point the 'grandma/wolf' jerked forwards till the nose hit my nose and shouted "ALL THE BETTER TO EAT YOU WITH" at which point 2yr old me collapsed!

I was dragged out in a puddle of wee and in a totally catatonic state! I was taken home to my grandma's house who had a knitting machine and put in bed. Ok.... now sniff really loudly... that is the sound a knitting machine makes as it draws across! To a semi comatose 2yr old in a bedroom at her grandma's house that has just met the big bad wolf in the flesh a knitting machine is about the scariest noise on the planet!

So... All in all I'm going to have to vote wear wolf as simply the most terrifying if least realistic critter, that or knitting machines

I'm talking about the American Wear Wolf In London type of animal, not the shape shifting nice sexy animal in True Blood etc
edit on 28-12-2010 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Thanks for this thread! I haven't heard of some of these crypids until now. Very interesting! I've got to read up on them some more. I also wanted to mention that the Flatwoods Monster reminds me of Mr. Burns in that episode of the Simpsons where everyone thought he was an alien and the Canvey Island Monster reminds me of a giant Pokemon character LOL

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabalis
Here's a strange creature that someone shot and killed in Nelson County, Kentucky.

www.wave3.com...

Any ideas on what it is?

Now that is creepy. It's like someone bread a deer and a Racoon or some sort of bad experiment gone bad. Did they ever find out what that thing was? It looks like a pet that doctor evil would have, a hairless,, something?

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

That bottom picture is creepy and makes me think it's a demon in disguise. I think it's possible.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

That bottom picture is creepy and makes me think it's a demon in disguise. I think it's possible.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by johnyelland1234

Youre welcomed. I'm glad people are posting other mysterious beasts. Creepy!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I am not sure how I would react to any of these critters, but one thing is for certain if I should ever be confronted by a bear or a shark, I will know fear without a doubt! The very thought of being lunch to me is enough to send me screaming into the night!

They say not to run but I would run! LOL

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
I am not sure how I would react to any of these critters, but one thing is for certain if I should ever be confronted by a bear or a shark, I will know fear without a doubt! The very thought of being lunch to me is enough to send me screaming into the night!

They say not to run but I would run! LOL

I'd be running to and flashing a cross in their face. I hope they dont get us in our dreams.
Joking.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join