It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Most Terrifying and Mysterious Creatures

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ressiv
i'm dissapointed...thought to get pics of presidents....

That's funny, sorry I didnt post any Presidential monsters, just other creepy ones. I'll work on it.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by platipus
you forgot to put fake infront of creatures or urban legend.

Its in cryptozoology, so he doesnt need to put fake

Being from Australia, all the stories I heard of the bunyip, were similar to thoe of bigfoot and yeti sightings. Never heard the starfish one

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Thank You Oz,

I should add the other famous monsters.

posted on Nov, 21 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Here are a few more Mythical Beasts

Yeti/Bigfoot/Sasquatch

Depending on where you live, this mythical creature goes by several names, but essentially they all represent the same giant woodland/mountain personna. he has been faked so many times it is almost as if old Bigfoot has gone into the world of monster-gags. From beer commercials to Harry and the Hendersons and Open Season, we love Bigfoot and his international cousins Yeti and Sasquatch because he has provided us with so much quality entertainment over the years. Not all monsters have to be scary, sometimes its just fun to say,“Bigfoot”.

Banshee

The Banshee, aside from being known for a piercing scream, is an Irish spirit known for being the Omen of death, and having special connections in the spirit world. She is something of a shapeshifter, in that she can appear in many forms, ranging from an ugly old hag to a ravishing beauty, but my favorite is the version where she appears as a washer-woman, and is seen washing the blood stained clothes or armour of those who are about to die. Talk about a sight that you just don’t want to see while heading down the trail. Their piercing scream is a warning that someone is about to be taken by Death, but I imagine that if your eardrums are being pierced by their shrieking and you are watching someone wash the blood from your own clothes, you are probably about ready to call it a day by then anyway.

Manticore

The Manticore was a fierce looking creature, with the body of a red lion, the face of a blue-eyed human and a mouth with three rows of sharp pointy teeth. And if that wasn’t enough, the Manticore′s tail had a scorpion-like stinger with poisoned spines that could be shot, like arrows in any direction. Despite the scary looks, the beast was attributed with having a musical voice that was the mixture of pipes and a trumpet. The earliest accounts seem to be from Persian legend. The name itself is from the Old Persian martikhoras meaning ‘man-eater’. The earliest accounts of the existence of the manticore come from the Persian courts in the 5th century BC, documented by Ctesias, a Greek physician at the Persian court.

Hydra

The Hydra was one of the more terrifying mythical monsters of ancient Greece, the offspring of Echidna (half maiden – half serpent), and Typhon (had 100 heads), according to legend. The Hydra had the body of a serpent and many heads (the number of heads deviates from five up to one hundred there are many versions but generally nine is accepted as standard), and if any of the heads were severed another would grow in its place. And just to make sure that the beast had the full advantage, the stench from the Hydra’s breath was enough to kill man or beast. Talk about wicked morning breath!

Werewolf

Werewolves (lycanthrope) are only second to vampires in terms of popularity. Perhaps, like vampires, belief in humans that turn into wild predatory (and sometimes, nocturnal) animals exists in all major world cultures. Many psychologists attribute this to the natural animal instinct that resides in the psyche of all men, an instinct that existed since the dawn of mankind. Werewolves were said to bare tell-tale traits in medieval European folklore, including the meeting of both eyebrows at the bridge of the nose, curved fingernails, low set ears and a swinging stride. (This actually sounds like several people I know!) One method of identifying a werewolf in its human form was to cut the flesh of the accused, under the pretense that fur would be seen within the wound. A Russian superstition recalls a werewolf can be recognised by bristles under the tongue.

listsoplenty.com...

cj6

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

that pic of the jersey devil is strange

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
The Flatwoods monster absolutely chills me.

I remember reading about this as a kid, and coming back to this now - still gives me the creeps. I'd happily deal with all the other creatures but not that one...

Agreed, that drawing makes me feel slightly ill but I have no idea why.

Maybe it reminds my of my gf when she's having a beauty treatment

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/428ecf4df6ed.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Being from Australia, all the stories I heard of the bunyip, were similar to thoe of bigfoot and yeti sightings. Never heard the starfish one

Aren't you thinking of a Yowie, Oz?

Wiki
edit on 2010/11/25 by GradyPhilpott because: edited nested quote

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Very nice. I like the international flair of some of the unknown monsters. As I was counting down, I kept thinking my mother in law would be number one.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cj6

that pic of the jersey devil is strange

Yes I think that thing has been spotted flying. Creepy!

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by the_raven_mind_body_soul

Heh, yeah. In another thread I said that the red glowing eyes could be eye cells with photophores.

In The Mothman Prophecies, I read that the first sighting took place in the morning, 10am, and (strange thing) it still had glowing eyes (that seemed to cause conjunctivitis to the girl) so that wasn't at owl at all.

Photophores exist, eyes do, so is it really impossible to have both things combinated?

posted on Nov, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
i have a ? for everyone on here
has anyone actually read of anything on a actual banshee encounter?
just curious
theres one for almost all
but im interested in the banshee

posted on Nov, 26 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Where is the Mothman and Nessie!!! Used to terrify me thinking about them after reading the stories when I was kid!!! Well put together thread. S and F!!!

posted on Nov, 27 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MiTS65

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Aren't you thinking of a Yowie, Oz?

Wiki
edit on 2010/11/25 by GradyPhilpott because: edited nested quote

I've always thought the names were interchangeable... :stupidface:

That being said, depending on the aboriginal group, a lot of them have stories of a Yowie type creature. I remember my great uncle (a white man who lived on a reserve) talking to me about a mountain near him, that no one stopped on at night due to the monster there. It smelled of garbage, and if you smelt it, you got the hell out of there. Unfortunately I can't remember the name he said, or where it was

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Cool thread. Hadn't heard of several of those beasties and that pic of the jersey devil is creepy.

But you missed this one lol:
MONGOLIAN DEATH WORM!

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I drive by Flatwoods, WV all the time. I've even stopped in the local gas stations and picked up a Flatwoods Monster t-shirt. There really isn't much of anything around there besides a couple of truck stops, fast food places, a hotel and a very small shopping plaza. I cant imagine what was in Flatwoods around the time of the sightings.

The Owlman reminds me of Mothman stories(another WV monster).

posted on Dec, 7 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thanks for the list, did you come up with it yourself? What is your definition of terrifying? Just don't think #3 is that scary.

posted on Dec, 11 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooleysleftleg
Where is the Mothman and Nessie!!! Used to terrify me thinking about them after reading the stories when I was kid!!! Well put together thread. S and F!!!

I just checked out the Mothman, that would give me childhood nightmares too. Creepey looking! I should have added him.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spinotoror
reply to post by the_raven_mind_body_soul

I thought a lot about that. I reached to the conclusion that those creatures maybe didn't have to see in that moment, and that they could use the glow to attract something or someone.

Also, these creatures aren't common, so don't expect them to be common or to act commonly.

could be really highly reflective, to scare people (if they feed off of it), and as for the not being able to see thing read this www.foxnews.com...
boy with glowing eyes that make him able to read in pitch black

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
For those speaking of the Mothman, here is the statue erected in Point Pleasant WV, kinda creepy looking

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I would have also accepted Mothman.

Sorry didn't read everyone else's Mothman. (._.')
edit on 21-12-2010 by Equinox99 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join