It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Details Agent Orange Use at Fort Detrick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Army Details Agent Orange Use at Fort Detrick

www.myfoxdc.com

FREDERICK, Md. - Fort Detrick officials now admit the Army base sprayed Agent Orange in an area where people say they are dying of cancer. The admission caps years of speculation.

The information was quietly released Wednesday night and it is a total reversal from what Fort Detrick officials have previously said.

For nearly 30 years, Fort Detrick admits it sprayed Agent Orange in areas lined by Rosemont Avenue, Clover Hill and Lake Coventry Drive in Frederick.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.myfoxdc.com
www.fredericknewspost.com
www.wtop.com

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
This is a story that broke recently locally and doesn't seem to be getting much attention outside the DC area. Although folks in the Frederick MD area are rightfully concerned about it.

The armed forces (not just of the US) have history of covertly testing chemicals both on their own forces and on the population at large.

Historically such admissions are rare thus this one is in my opinion significant. Are we to extrapolate that this was much more common practice than any of us would suspect? How much if any of this is still going on today?

Anyhoot, just saw this today and thought that it might be of some interest to my fellow members.

ps. Video report embedded at news story link

www.myfoxdc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19 Nov 2010 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

It often amazes me how many citizens can not believe that this could or would ever happen. Yet this is not the first such admission (or discovery) which affirms that there was a time when this sort of activity was rampant.

Biochemical and chemical weapons, mind altering hallucinogenics, venereal diseases, and radiation. Most often the least capable of resisting such treatment were the targets; mentally disabled, abandoned children, the institutionalized elderly, and of course, military people subject to 'orders' to comply.

In time, more of this will surface and I predict we will STILL see citizens that refuse to accept that their 'authorities' are subjecting them to untested, unsafe, and otherwise inhuman treatment.

Thanks for bringing this one to the front.... we know the MSM won't (with the exception of local media which resists 'waiting' to be told what to report and how to report it.)

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Must be a mistake, they would "chemtrail" us....

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I wonder.

Does this mean we're entering a new age of transparency? Or does it mean something worse is being over-shadowed?

S&F - thanks.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

I wonder.

Does this mean we're entering a new age of transparency? Or does it mean something worse is being over-shadowed?

S&F - thanks.

Transparency....no way! They let the cat out of the bag because they had to not cause they wanted to.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhadamanthus

There's always scenario C - where they no longer care who knows what because it soon won't matter.
Nah! Let's not go there

It's the same MO as the bank bailouts - just rub it in the public's face and see what doesn't happen.
The public reminds me of a battered puppy more than it does sheep.
edit on 19-11-2010 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I must say, agent orange was used in my backyard. literally. My grandpa Farrington, used to work at fort lewis army base, and the base was dumping " a lot " of agent orange, my grandpa decided to take some home to try to kill a couple of acres of blackberry bushes. ..... From what I remember, is it really killed the blackberry bushes quite welll, untill the news came out about the cancer and birth defects and such,... He quit using the agent orange, and the blackberry bushes came back and there they stay. Hope this helps with understanding.

posted on Nov, 19 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
They had a grand ole time spraying this stuff, amongst several other "agents", all over the base near here for the better part of 25 years. They also denied it was happening for a while. Then, when they couldn't do that anymore, they said, "Don't worry, everything will be ok!".

I did a thread on it a few years ago and although I stopped updating it, have still followed the story rather closely, as it is very near to where I live.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It sucks that some people will blindly believe that our governments wouldn't do stuff like this to us when there are just so many examples of it proven out there.

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

The armed forces (not just of the US) have history of covertly testing chemicals both on their own forces and on the population at large.

In the case of agent orange monsanto was the ones that did the criminal act.

The original agent orange that the government tested and contracted for did not contain dioxin and the government believed it was safe.
BUT once Monsanto got the contract they changed the process for manufacturing agent orange to a cheaper faster process that caused the formation of dioxin in the process.

2,4,5-T produced for civilian applications in the U.S before the war did not contain dioxin.
But because the military wanted so much more 2,4,5-T Monsanto changed the way the chemical was made to a different process.. This process caused dioxin in the agent orange. other companies followed Monsanto's lead and changed there process.

The samples given to the government for testing and before the contract was awarded and number of samples later given to the government were of the older process that was still being sold to the public.
The civilian type did not have kerosene in it and was thicker(the kerosene would have damaged food crops and the farmers would not have bought it.)
But there was no requirement by the government because they planed to mix it with kerosene or diesel fuel for aerial spraying.(something the farmers did not do.)

Now who knew when that the agent orange sold to the government was laced with dioxin is still unclear.

Some of the people harmed claim that the companies that made agent orange may still be sued even though they got a waiver of liability after the first case
agentorangelaw.net...

There have been other lawsuits since that time. In March of 2009, a key legal question was settled in the United States when the U.S. Supreme Court let stand unanimous lower court rulings disallowing recovery from lawsuits on the Agent Orange issue. The Supreme Court agreed that the companies were not responsible for the implications of military use of Agent Orange in Vietnam, because the manufacturers were government contractors, carrying out the instructions of government.

www.monsanto.com...

The question is just because the government contracted for a off the shelf common herbicide and the contractors sold the government something else(a contaminated product) are the contractors now still liable for making a toxic product.
this is still going through the courts.
edit on 20-11-2010 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

join