It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Rep Charlie Rangel Found Guilty of Ethics Violations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by hangedman13

Yeah, kinda like Ted Bundy being tried by a panel comprised of David Berkowitz, Dorothea Puente, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer, with us sitting back expected to believe there's some sort of justice being served.

Go figure.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My bet, he steps down as cooperation.. good patsy.

Then his lawyers argue that he was not given a fair trial and he just walks scott free, nothing will actually be done to him. He'll keep his ill gotten gains and retire to a nice quiet life.
edit on 16-11-2010 by Fiberx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
He may be a dirtbag, but the point of the original post was, he should have been allowed to have adequate legal representation.

Should have been allowed ADEQUATE legal representation?

He spent, apparently $2 million on lawyers fighting these charges!

If he is still facing these charges after having $2 million worth of ADEQUATE legal representation, then he should just stop fighting this losing battle and face the music.

How can anyone say that he hasn't had "adequate" legal representation after he has spent $2 million dollars on defense attorney's?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

How can anyone say that he hasn't had "adequate" legal representation after he has spent $2 million dollars on defense attorney's?

Good point!

He didn't have to hire Lanny Davis at the start of this in 2008, but he thought he needed a really good lawyer for some reason.....Hmmm.

Lanny Davis doesn't come cheap, I'm sure.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

This is just breaking right now on CNN. This whole process has been a railroaded trial since the beginning. Yesterday, he was denied a change in legal representation as he had run out of money after paying over $2 million to his lawyers fighting these charges.

I want to know what sort of legal thinking denies an elected official the chance to a fair hearing with legal representation, while at the same time, provides high priced lawyers at tax payers' defense for accused child murderers like Casey Anthony?

Even though this is a Democratically lead panel, this was still a witchhunt against Rep Rangel.

I wonder what he knew or did behind the scenes that bought down the wrath of this panel on him? Oh yeah, that's right, he was a champion of the poor in New York City.

Cry me a river.
This man was a scum bag gaming the system and had little or no ethics. And your blindness to it amazes me. I bet if it had been someone on the other side you would be having a party. Just goes to show how ideology can blind you.

edit on 16-11-2010 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Rangel will walk away with his money intact and making big bucks as just another talking head or lobbyist while also making money on the lecture circuit.These guys rarely go to jail unless they stepped on a lot of toes while in power.

posted on Nov, 17 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

House Ethics Committee Chief Counsel Blake Chisam, who was acting as prosecutor, said Monday he believed the violations were a result of sloppiness, not corruption.

"I see no evidence of corruption," Chisam said during the public hearing. "I believe that the Congressman, quite frankly, was overzealous in many of the things that he did" and was "sloppy in his personal finances."

Read more: www.dnainfo.com...

"Overzealous" and "sloppy"????? 39 years in office, yet he didn't know he was violating House rules?????

Whatever....

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

...he should have been allowed to have adequate legal representation.

By not allowing the representation, they railroaded the trial, period, regardless of what you think of the man himself.

If you are accused of violating the rules at your job, are you allowed to have "legal representation"? Or, does your boss just determine the appropriate punishment, if he/she finds you are guilty of the violations? This wasn't a criminal or even civil trial.

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Your right, so instead of doing YEARS in prison like the rest of us would do for the same crime, he will pay a 200k fine or something of the sort, then fall under the radar, only to collect money from the same institutions he helped finance.......

Aint politics grand!

Oh......thats not what you meant, was it?

posted on Nov, 18 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by butcherguy

Your right, so instead of doing YEARS in prison like the rest of us would do for the same crime, he will pay a 200k fine or something of the sort, then fall under the radar, only to collect money from the same institutions he helped finance.......

Aint politics grand!

Oh......thats not what you meant, was it?
Oh I agree completely.

I doubt the fine will be that much even.
What sucks even more, I think is the fact that it wouldn't matter if he had been a Republican in front of a Democratic committee, they take care of each other regardless of party, they all know they might get caught some day!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join