It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News - Rep Charlie Rangel Found Guilty of Ethics Violations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This is just breaking right now on CNN. This whole process has been a railroaded trial since the beginning. Yesterday, he was denied a change in legal representation as he had run out of money after paying over $2 million to his lawyers fighting these charges.

I want to know what sort of legal thinking denies an elected official the chance to a fair hearing with legal representation, while at the same time, provides high priced lawyers at tax payers' defense for accused child murderers like Casey Anthony?

Even though this is a Democratically lead panel, this was still a witchhunt against Rep Rangel.

I wonder what he knew or did behind the scenes that bought down the wrath of this panel on him? Oh yeah, that's right, he was a champion of the poor in New York City.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Wahhhh,.
Rangel is a classic example of the worst our government has to offer.Champion of the poor,baaaaaah. champion of himself...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

I agree. He has had ample time to prepare his defense and he dresses very nicely for a poor man.

His own party is doing this to him, so how can the OP think that he has been railroaded?

Oh, and some of that $2 million came from his campaign fund, which is against House ethics rules.

edit on 16-11-2010 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I resisted posting any of the dozen or so embarrassing videos because they wore the foxnews logo and I'm sure that would remove all credibility from them here.
edit on 16-11-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-11-2010 by 46ACE because: structure

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Like another poster already stated, the guy is a crook. He's a real class act. I am so sick of people claiming they had no idea what other people were doing with their money!!! Let me steal some of his money and see how quick he is to notice it is missing...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
This was in no way a witch hunt!!! Rangel has been skirting the system and the law for years!! Justice has caught up with the crook. Election resources were completely wasted on this man. This case was supposed to be heard before the election and it was postponed. www.nbcnewyork.com...

I've been following the case here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

This case was supposed to be heard before the election and it was postponed.

Good point!

I almost forgot about that. His cronies didn't want his guilt messin' up their election.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well, now they have a patsy and they have shown the American people that they are serious about getting rid of corruption... right?

Let's see if this is the end or the beginning. There is vastly more corruption in those halls than just Mr. Rangel. It's like scooping a cup out of the pool and calling it empty, if they don't continue.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Fiberx

It's like scooping a cup out of the pool and calling it empty, if they don't continue.
What kind of pool?

A Cesspool.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by Fiberx

It's like scooping a cup out of the pool and calling it empty, if they don't continue.
What kind of pool?

A Cesspool.

Maybe leave the pool alone and just start throwing them in, with a nice new pair of concrete shoes custom made!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I posted this to;
Corrupt NY Rep. Charlie Rangel to Step Down From House Ways and Means Committee
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
CNN: Rangel convicted on ethics charges! 11/16/2010. And not given opportunity for legal representaion. More government tactics to set precedents which allow for the violation of constutional rights, but toward what end?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This guy may be the biggest dirtbag in the world, tried by another group of dirtbags who were hell bent on trodding on the slimeball's rights all for the purposes of making a point and putting on the old dog-n-pony show in a kangaroo court . . .

The part that keeps me facepalming myself over and over is that we actually elect these douchbags in the first place.

It ain't like most of them just shot from the womb all squeekly clean to begin with.

In my humble opinion, almost every politician leaves a dripping trail of snail-snot behind them where ever they go. There isn't a clean one in the lot.

As a total aside . . . . why do I see this becoming a made for TV movie starring Cab Calloway. Hell, even his trademark song fits!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

. . . House ethics . . .

edit on Tue Nov 16 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
He may be a dirtbag, but the point of the original post was, he should have been allowed to have adequate legal representation.

By not allowing the representation, they railroaded the trial, period, regardless of what you think of the man himself.

And he WAS a champion of the poor, despite how he dressed. He's just been portrayed in the MSM as very different, and you folks have bought in to it.

If he didn't help out the poor, why has he been reelected seven times from one of the poorest districts in NYC? Go ask them what they think of this whole trial.

Lots of people who commented on Casey Anthony's story in MSM SCREAMED when they were threatening to replace her high priced lawyers with a public defender.

Why shouldn't an elected official be given the same defense options as an accused child murderer?

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

He had plenty of time to prepare. He chose to play games and to focus on the election. The ethics committee was ready to roll before the election. He also originally stated that he would represent himself!!!! and changed his mind at the last minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone knows how the game is played it is Rangel. Don't make excuses for the man who invented them.

This case against him has been building for a long time. Sorry, no tears for Rangel or anyone like him.

Jim Trafficant was found guilty on similar charges and even racketeering. He served jail time. Both men are considered the Robin Hoods of their districts. However, both men chose to let the power corrupt them and to let the money influence them. Sorry, but Justice will prevail against these dirt bags. Hell, Trafficant got out of jail and had his name added to the ballot in his former district for God's Sake. Fortunately, he lost!!

There are more investigations to come. Including a probe into the White House.
edit on 16-11-2010 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Rangel's legal strategy may have been to go for a "mistrial," so that he would avoid being found guilty. It is possible that his legal team abandoned him, deliberately at the Congressman's request. If this were the case, this strategy would have been obvious to the Ethics Committee and would be an alternative explanation why it would seem like he was being railroaded.

Or, perhaps the Committee is looking for a scapegoat. We may never know.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Wow ignorance is bliss. This was not a civil trial! He was tried by the House "ethics" commitee. Not in a court of law. Wah it's a witch hunt
Shows that even on this site people miss the obvious.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Wow ignorance is bliss. This was not a civil trial! He was tried by the House "ethics" commitee. Not in a court of law. Wah it's a witch hunt
Shows that even on this site people miss the obvious.
Absolutely right.
See the thing is, the US Congress doesn't have to abide by all the same laws that we do, so they get to go before a jury of their peers!

More like a kangaroo court. I would be willing to bet that if the Democrats had not lost the majority in the House, the whole thing would have been swept under the rug.

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
This was not a civil trial! He was tried by the House "ethics" commitee. Not in a court of law.

Shows that even on this site people miss the obvious

And since he has no criminal charges proven against him... he is now free to pursue the
a 2nd career he always wanted --> TV Evangelist

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
Like another poster already stated, the guy is a crook. He's a real class act. I am so sick of people claiming they had no idea what other people were doing with their money!!! Let me steal some of his money and see how quick he is to notice it is missing...
your right what I want to know is "who's next"? one by one lets take them all down....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join